High FSH, high platelets, 41, REs don't want to work with me.

High FSH, high platelets, 41, REs don't want to work with me.

wanttwo
wanttwo

January 18th, 2012, 10:21 pm #1

I really don't know what to do. I've scoured so many boards and discussion groups and am at my wit's end.

My last FSH was 25, have thrombocytosis (ET) which means extremely high platelets (due to JAK2 gene), diagnosed with Hashimoto's and currently taking Synthroid 50 mcg, and am 41 years old with a record of TTC for a bit over a year. I have seen 2 REs and all they see is my screaming FSH. One just told me several days ago that I might not have any more eggs left and maybe I'm not ovulating anymore. The other one, a month ago, that surgically removed my golf-sized fibroid last year told me that due to my FSH that the only way to conceive is naturally. Oh, and he also asked if I'm getting hot flashes which I'm not by the way. Both think 40% sperm motility is not an issue and IUI won't really help. Of course, they all agree that DE is the way to go for me. Yet, I still get normal periods, basal temp shifts are normal, etc.

The REs never said anything about blood clotting disorders, etc. Should I go see an RI for immune issues? I live in Texas so I don't know of any RIs here. Another option is to go see Dr. Check in NJ since he works with really tough patients or Dr. Gill in Houston since I am 2.5 hours away from Houston. I feel like my REs are just seeing my FSH and age and not wanting to do any more detective work. I heard Dr. Check is great at trying to be a detective but not sure if Gill will see my age and turn me down. Of course the $50 consult fee is not a bad deal despite the 2.5 hour drive. If he is the Texas version of Dr. Check then I will happily make the trip.

Currently, I am seeing a fabulous acupuncturist while prescribing chinese herbs, baby aspirin, toning done my stress, limited sugar and carbs in diet, royal jelly, and drinking lemon water in the morning. She thinks I also have PCOS due to my acne and recommends low carb diet. I'm already cutting down on the sugar and gluten. Next step, take yoga to open up my circulation better and balance the hormones.

Any idea what I should do?

Thank you for any wisdom and help!

Tina

GulfGal
GulfGal

January 19th, 2012, 2:59 am #2

I cycled with him until I was 45. He was really good and experimented to see which protocol was best for me. He was not a one-size-fits-all kind of guy.

Jamie
Jamie

January 19th, 2012, 5:10 am #3

I really don't know what to do. I've scoured so many boards and discussion groups and am at my wit's end.

My last FSH was 25, have thrombocytosis (ET) which means extremely high platelets (due to JAK2 gene), diagnosed with Hashimoto's and currently taking Synthroid 50 mcg, and am 41 years old with a record of TTC for a bit over a year. I have seen 2 REs and all they see is my screaming FSH. One just told me several days ago that I might not have any more eggs left and maybe I'm not ovulating anymore. The other one, a month ago, that surgically removed my golf-sized fibroid last year told me that due to my FSH that the only way to conceive is naturally. Oh, and he also asked if I'm getting hot flashes which I'm not by the way. Both think 40% sperm motility is not an issue and IUI won't really help. Of course, they all agree that DE is the way to go for me. Yet, I still get normal periods, basal temp shifts are normal, etc.

The REs never said anything about blood clotting disorders, etc. Should I go see an RI for immune issues? I live in Texas so I don't know of any RIs here. Another option is to go see Dr. Check in NJ since he works with really tough patients or Dr. Gill in Houston since I am 2.5 hours away from Houston. I feel like my REs are just seeing my FSH and age and not wanting to do any more detective work. I heard Dr. Check is great at trying to be a detective but not sure if Gill will see my age and turn me down. Of course the $50 consult fee is not a bad deal despite the 2.5 hour drive. If he is the Texas version of Dr. Check then I will happily make the trip.

Currently, I am seeing a fabulous acupuncturist while prescribing chinese herbs, baby aspirin, toning done my stress, limited sugar and carbs in diet, royal jelly, and drinking lemon water in the morning. She thinks I also have PCOS due to my acne and recommends low carb diet. I'm already cutting down on the sugar and gluten. Next step, take yoga to open up my circulation better and balance the hormones.

Tina
I'd love to write a lot about it, but it's so late . . . I promise I will do so tomorrow.

wanttwo
wanttwo

January 19th, 2012, 10:27 am #4

I cycled with him until I was 45. He was really good and experimented to see which protocol was best for me. He was not a one-size-fits-all kind of guy.
Sounds like he is a really good detective as well as hopeful. I am so tired of these REs looking at me like there is no chance I would ever be in that positive statistic for over 40 gals. I can't wait to work with an RE that wants to give their patients the best chance possible.

If you don't mind me asking, were you an out of town patient? How often did you travel to Houston if you were? Did you also get to see other REs such as Dr. Davis or Dr. Check? What was your FSH like? I'm not sure if Dr. Gill would look at my >20 FSH and think that I'm hopeless. Wondering if he has a cutoff.

Sounds like Dr. Gill is up to date on high FSH protocols such as estinyl, low stims, etc.

Tina

wanttwo
wanttwo

January 19th, 2012, 10:40 am #5

I'd love to write a lot about it, but it's so late . . . I promise I will do so tomorrow.
but I would love to hear it in more detail when you have the time. I am so stuck on who to see: Dr. Check, Dr. Gill, Dr. Davis, maybe an RI in Chicago like Dr. Kwak, or maybe SIRM (St. Louis-Dr. Ahlering or NY-Dr. T.). Or should I try a Gonal-F IUI with my local RE who pretty much thinks I have no more eggs left (that's about $3K right there).

I live in Austin so Houston/Katy is about 2.5 hours from me. If I see Dr. Check, I think I would have to fly in to Philadelphia Airport and either rent a car or take a cab. Also, my husband prefers to be more local if he needs to be available when the RE needs him. However, if Dr. Check is going to be the one to make a miracle happen more than any doc than I will drag him to NJ if I have to if I need to do an IVF with Dr. Check although I think I've read that Dr. Check tries natural attempts (timing with drugs) more than IVF.

Looking forward to reading in more detail about your journey. Also, would like to know what your thinking processes were that made you determine to go to either of the docs. You were the one that inspired me to go for Dr. Check and/or Dr. Gill in the first place since I never heard of them before!

BTW, I tried Vitex 2x last year and my periods were so late while taking them. I can't experience that again. Don't know why it didn't work on me but glad it helped you!

Tina

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

January 19th, 2012, 3:02 pm #6

Tina
Just read your posts and it seems to me that you pretty much can't go wrong with any of the Dr.'s you are thinking of. Most definitely, find an RI or a clinic that does immune and thrombophilia testing. Besides Dr. Kwak there's Carolyn Coloum in Chicago and the Beer's Center in California. You can see these RI's as an out patient. Whatever the case...you seem like a prime candidate for immune treatment. BTW...I saw what you said about Vitex...I was just telling someone the other day..it does not work for everyone and is known to have messed up the cycles of many. So..don't feel as though you are the odd one. I have read this for awhile now about Vitex. Good luck on your journey.

Jamie
Jamie

January 19th, 2012, 4:25 pm #7

Sounds like he is a really good detective as well as hopeful. I am so tired of these REs looking at me like there is no chance I would ever be in that positive statistic for over 40 gals. I can't wait to work with an RE that wants to give their patients the best chance possible.

If you don't mind me asking, were you an out of town patient? How often did you travel to Houston if you were? Did you also get to see other REs such as Dr. Davis or Dr. Check? What was your FSH like? I'm not sure if Dr. Gill would look at my >20 FSH and think that I'm hopeless. Wondering if he has a cutoff.

Sounds like Dr. Gill is up to date on high FSH protocols such as estinyl, low stims, etc.

Tina
He has two patients currently pregnant (they may have delivered by now) with FSH of 40 and 60.

Jamie
Jamie

January 19th, 2012, 4:37 pm #8

Just read your posts and it seems to me that you pretty much can't go wrong with any of the Dr.'s you are thinking of. Most definitely, find an RI or a clinic that does immune and thrombophilia testing. Besides Dr. Kwak there's Carolyn Coloum in Chicago and the Beer's Center in California. You can see these RI's as an out patient. Whatever the case...you seem like a prime candidate for immune treatment. BTW...I saw what you said about Vitex...I was just telling someone the other day..it does not work for everyone and is known to have messed up the cycles of many. So..don't feel as though you are the odd one. I have read this for awhile now about Vitex. Good luck on your journey.
Have never touched it . . .used DHEA which messed me up so I had to quit. I'm a believer in antioxidants--CoQ10 and Ubiquinol. I thoroughly second Dee's suggestions to see an RI. I think that will be huge for you.

anne
anne

January 19th, 2012, 4:48 pm #9

Tina
he's obviously changed his tune. when i went to see him he told me i should do donor egg because my fsh was 12 and that was the reason the iui's weren't working. the way they used to do is having you come in ever other day at 300$ a pop for them to do labs and u/s. which times that by 4 visits and it gets expensive; not counting the stimms. well the first time i ovulated the day between; they knew they screwed up because i got it for free. the second time they oversuppressed me with lupron. granted it was years ago, and they appear to do things differently now which is good, but i confess i'm still a bit resentful of my treatment there and much $$$ wasted and the devastation i felt at being given 'the talk' when my fsh wasn't so bad.

anyway, everyone has a different view but that was my experience.

wanttwo
wanttwo

January 19th, 2012, 5:49 pm #10

He has two patients currently pregnant (they may have delivered by now) with FSH of 40 and 60.
That's great! Are they under 40? Will Dr. Gill bat an eyelash due to my age? n/t

Confirmation of reply: