Freaking Out. Help Please Highest FSH (OE, DE ment)

Freaking Out. Help Please Highest FSH (OE, DE ment)

July 1st, 2012, 12:21 pm #1

Had my day 2 bloods yesterday and my FSH was higher than its ever been, 23. I am freaking out, I can't eat sleep or function really. Does this mean that this cycle with Dr Zhang will be bad? Will I ever be able to have my own children? I don't want to go through a retrieval for thousands of dollars for them to tell me I have a bad egg. Im so upset. Does anyone have any advice? (or comforting words .

Then I think about donor eggs and get this pit in my stomach like will that child really feel like mine?

Help Ladies.

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 1st, 2012, 2:20 pm #2

I completely understand your being upset by your day 2 results but truthfully FSH alone is not necessarily a predictor of a poor cycle or bad eggs. Each month that you cycle is completely independent of any other cycle. If you were cycling with Dr. Check he would scoff at an FSH of 23 as a poor predictor he'd put you on estinyl for a bit to lower it and move forward. FSH is so variable - plenty of women on these boards have been successful with their OE's with elevate FSH and low AMH numbers. Try not to be too upset by the numbers and just see what this cycle does..you never know the good egg may just be from this cycle.
As far as considering DE it is a long and difficult process that takes a lot of time and deep personal reflection and it is not arrived at lightly. If that is something you eventually consider then trust you will arrive there if/when the time is right for you. Right now just focus your energy where you are, cycling with your OE's. Wishing you the best of luck!

sugar
sugar

July 1st, 2012, 2:30 pm #3

/\ not anon...sugar

alima
alima

July 1st, 2012, 2:37 pm #4

Had my day 2 bloods yesterday and my FSH was higher than its ever been, 23. I am freaking out, I can't eat sleep or function really. Does this mean that this cycle with Dr Zhang will be bad? Will I ever be able to have my own children? I don't want to go through a retrieval for thousands of dollars for them to tell me I have a bad egg. Im so upset. Does anyone have any advice? (or comforting words .

Then I think about donor eggs and get this pit in my stomach like will that child really feel like mine?

Help Ladies.
Don't worry about your number. If Zh.ang told you to come back on Friday, then that means he is not putting you on any meds at this time. He is looking to see if your FSH comes down on its own. Once it comes down, then they will probably prescribe some small amount of meds to get your cycle going, or just allow your own body to grow the follicle. You can always leave a message for a nurse if you want to speak further.

July 1st, 2012, 3:15 pm #5

Help Ladies.
I remember you from the other board a few days ago. I know that awful pit in the stomach feeling. The kind you want to run away from and only goes away if you can manage to sleep.

With your age and FSH level I think you should move on to DE. You will love the baby the same as if you had used your OE. The baby will feel like your baby. Having been through all this myself and the awful scary feelings I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel once you cross over and actually hold your baby. So I think you should save your money and start picking out a donor and a clinic with good statistics. It can take a while to select a donor, financing and get everything all lined up. The sooner you start on it the sooner you can hold your baby. . The genetics don't matter as to how much you will love the child.

Jen
Jen

July 1st, 2012, 8:22 pm #6

Help Ladies.
IMHO if you are ovulating you should continue with OE. I am sorry I do not remember your story. Have you done IUI's? Maybe that is an option to save money. I really feel like this journey is luck, trial and error, timing and just finding the golden egg. One just never knows when that will be. I have a friend who has no fsh problem, is in her early thirties and it took her 4 ivf tries and two RE's to get her BFP. She was at RMA and then switched to Davis at Cornell and got pg. Maybe it was the protocol or that she quit her job or she got the best egg. I just feel if you ovulate maybe you should continue to try if possible. I am all for DE if that is what you are ready to do. I feel like you will know when it is time to stop OE. I am sorry you are going through this IF is so difficult.

Best,

Jen

Jamie
Jamie

July 1st, 2012, 9:07 pm #7

Help Ladies.
It is not over for you. 23 is higher than normal, but it's not 40 or 60. Mine was 20.5 and things still turned out okay. FSH has not been found to be a predictor of egg quality (unless it's so high that you are menopausal). There have been several studies posted on the white board that show this.

Since you mentioned spending money, IMO the biggest hurdle is going to be your age. You are almost 42, right? Unfortunately the odds are lower at our age. If you proceed with your cycle understand that you are spending this money to take a chance. Since you are doing natural or mini cycles, you are probably going to need to do several to get a decent chance at a good embryo (although if after a couple you don't get any good embryos that will be telling). If I were you I would just hang in there for now, give this cycle a try, and see what happens. You may produce a beautiful blast with this one egg. Again, though, no one can really make this decision but you.

July 1st, 2012, 11:39 pm #8

Help Ladies.
Thanks everyone, how do we ever get to the other side, Raindrops, thank you, Im getting there, just not yet. Its sooo difficult. I never imagined this would be me

Jamie
Jamie

July 2nd, 2012, 12:29 am #9

You have time to make the DE decision; it is definitely not something that you should rush into. There are women much older than you using DE all the time and if you decide to use DE the option will be there for you if/when you are ready. Don't put any pressure on yourself in that regard.

July 2nd, 2012, 6:58 am #10

It is not over for you. 23 is higher than normal, but it's not 40 or 60. Mine was 20.5 and things still turned out okay. FSH has not been found to be a predictor of egg quality (unless it's so high that you are menopausal). There have been several studies posted on the white board that show this.

Since you mentioned spending money, IMO the biggest hurdle is going to be your age. You are almost 42, right? Unfortunately the odds are lower at our age. If you proceed with your cycle understand that you are spending this money to take a chance. Since you are doing natural or mini cycles, you are probably going to need to do several to get a decent chance at a good embryo (although if after a couple you don't get any good embryos that will be telling). If I were you I would just hang in there for now, give this cycle a try, and see what happens. You may produce a beautiful blast with this one egg. Again, though, no one can really make this decision but you.
I too have high FSH (22.6) low AMH (.38) and low AFC (10). I am also 41 years young. I was told that I had about a 2% chance of getting pg using my OE. He said and even if I did try with my OE, it would probably be smart for me to buy a package of 3 IVF cycles just to see what they could get. He also suggested DE would be a safer choice for me.

Of course, I could not wrap my mind around using DE at this point because I just couldn't believe that my body wasn't going to work.

Unfortunately we were not able to afford IVF so we tried a few cycle naturally but I ended up with BFN's each month. I finally begged my RE to let me try a cycle with injects for an IUI. He thought it would be a huge waste of time and money but seeing that I could not afford to do more and I felt like I need to do SOMETHING, he went ahead and let me stim.

I was given 225iu Gonal-F from CD3-11 then I triggered on CD12 and had my IUI on CD14. Can you imagine the surprise on my RE's face when I went in for a check on my follicles before my trigger when he saw that I was growing 7 follicles and that 5 of them were mature and one was right behind them? He was shocked to say the least.

My RE chose to go ahead with the IUI based on my numbers and the fact that I had such a low probability of having success, that cancelling it was just not an option for me.

Well, wouldn't you know it, but 8dpiui I got the faintest of faint lines on a hpt. I continue to test to make sure I wasn't testing my trigger but it continued to get darker day after day until 13dpiui I went in for a beta and it was 131! I went back then on 15dpiui and it was 288. They were very happy with the numbers and told me they did not need to see me until my 6 week u/s.

Can you imagine their faces when they saw that this old lady with a 2% chance of getting pregnant and terrible numbers (so he said), was actually pregnant from just a silly old IUI? And the first one at that?

It just goes to show you that numbers don't mean diddly squat when it comes down to it. You know your body best and until your Dr. tries a bunch of different meds and protocols on you, you will not truly know how your body will respond.

You may find that your body responds like mine did. No one could have guessed that I would have had the response that I had. I am so grateful that we didn't sell the car and refinance our home etc...and that I pushed for the simpler and cheaper IUI first.

I think maybe before you jump straight to IVF and spend all that money, give one IUI a try and see how you respond to the meds (they use the same ones for IVF). At least this way, you are going to get a good idea of what your body will do when taking the stims and you won't have spent a fortune doing it.

Good luck in whatever path you choose to go down and lots of baby dust. Keep your head up, make your Dr.'s listen to you and never give up. If this Dr, isn't for you, then find one that is.

Confirmation of reply: