For those 44 and older doing GIFT/ZIFT success?

For those 44 and older doing GIFT/ZIFT success?

SillyPuppy
SillyPuppy

March 27th, 2012, 12:35 pm #1

Hi

I am going to be doing a couple of medicated cycles to see how I respond and maybe get fortunate enough to catch and egg BUT that said I am really thinking that IF I respond well (better than I think my current RE envisions) perhaps I SHOULD move forward with the most aggressive protocol I can pursue.

What do you all know of success with this age/population amongst posters on this board.

Because it seems that no real stats are measured for this as it is a "no man's land" it is really hard to make a decision.

Does it stay still at the 2% rate?

Even having conversation with a group that does work with this age group I was not feeling optimistic.

I really need some feedback in making a determination.

Thanks in advance

Kim
Kim

March 28th, 2012, 1:51 pm #2

Santa Monica Fertility that does the ZIFT on a regular basis for 40+ women. Dr. Jain has had some success with 44 and 45 year old women. One of the 45-year old woman is a friend of mine on another board and looks to be having her THB.

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 28th, 2012, 3:10 pm #3

You mean fly to California? oh my. Maybe I don't have what it takes to walk the walk. I guess what I am trying to figure out is IF the stats stay the same (2% medicated with TI vs medicated with IUI vs. HI-STIM IVF vs EZ stim or just TTC naturally is it what is happening that we are rolling the dice and eventually hitting the Golden egg no matter what the protocol?

I just didn't get a really good feeling after talking to a group that WAS willing to do go aggressive with me.

I am GRATEFUL that they offer it but now I am down to risk analysis and managing expectations.

That is the very hardest part of this all.

Unlike Alexis Stewart I don't have endless resources, patience and I am not sure mentally how much I can take.

My new theory for ME is IF I respond will to ANY stimulation perhaps I should take that response as an indicator that I MIGHT be able to have some of my OE harvested for fertilizaton/implantation with medical assistance rather than JUST leave it to sperm meets egg.

Thoughts?

Kim
Kim

March 28th, 2012, 3:35 pm #4

Intervention, like IUI and IVF, can boost odds. IVF is better only in the sense you eliminate egg and sperm meeting up. Personally, not sure I'd waste a whole lot of time "just seeing" if you produce eggs if time is not at all on your side. The problem is on low dose meds you could get cysts that linger for a couple of months so it makes it difficult to do the big guns stuff like IVF or ZIFT.

Sorry, but have to be honest here. I know of a handful of woman at almost 44 and 45 that did IVF right away one time and had success. They were not high FSH woman, but not sure you are either if I remember your stats?

SillyPuppy
SillyPuppy

March 28th, 2012, 4:28 pm #5

You mean fly to California? oh my. Maybe I don't have what it takes to walk the walk. I guess what I am trying to figure out is IF the stats stay the same (2% medicated with TI vs medicated with IUI vs. HI-STIM IVF vs EZ stim or just TTC naturally is it what is happening that we are rolling the dice and eventually hitting the Golden egg no matter what the protocol?

I just didn't get a really good feeling after talking to a group that WAS willing to do go aggressive with me.

I am GRATEFUL that they offer it but now I am down to risk analysis and managing expectations.

That is the very hardest part of this all.

Unlike Alexis Stewart I don't have endless resources, patience and I am not sure mentally how much I can take.

My new theory for ME is IF I respond will to ANY stimulation perhaps I should take that response as an indicator that I MIGHT be able to have some of my OE harvested for fertilizaton/implantation with medical assistance rather than JUST leave it to sperm meets egg.

Thoughts?
Don't know why I am NOT logged in when posting but I was on iPhone sitting in a waiting room for my newly acquired rash so YES it was me, SillyPuppy who wrote that above.

SillyPuppy
SillyPuppy

March 28th, 2012, 4:35 pm #6

Intervention, like IUI and IVF, can boost odds. IVF is better only in the sense you eliminate egg and sperm meeting up. Personally, not sure I'd waste a whole lot of time "just seeing" if you produce eggs if time is not at all on your side. The problem is on low dose meds you could get cysts that linger for a couple of months so it makes it difficult to do the big guns stuff like IVF or ZIFT.

Sorry, but have to be honest here. I know of a handful of woman at almost 44 and 45 that did IVF right away one time and had success. They were not high FSH woman, but not sure you are either if I remember your stats?
hi

I had CD 1 and CD 3 bloodwork. Numbers are respectively:

FSH 10. 5 and 13

LH 3.9 and NT

E2 21 and 12

Testosterone: 34

AMH 55

AFC 8 (4 each ovary)

All Thyroids normal

uterus normal, ovaries in good shape/size

No other negatives BUT age

I have been in communication with women who have gotten pregnant OVER 40 with clomid or Femara only

I am sort of curious HOW my body would respond on any stim at all. I opted out of any injectables this month due to travel etc but would agree to do Femara and TI. Wondering if there is any benefit to see HOW I might respond to 7.5 mgs/day of Femara

Is there any value in that or should I take ALL my money and go right to IVF. Not sure husband is on the same page as I am in risk taking. He is reading the REs that we have talked to, (both S.IRM and local) as that the risk and reward will stay the same at 2% across attempts.

SillyPuppy
SillyPuppy

March 28th, 2012, 4:38 pm #7

I am VERY definitely ovulating and have a regular cycle and good lining.

Just had a scan Monday and we could see the corpus luteum with egg gone. Sigh.

SillyPuppy
SillyPuppy

March 28th, 2012, 4:45 pm #8

I THINK my REs belief is that if she can somehow stim me to produce more eggs I MIGHT be able to just increase my chances BECAUSE her ONLY success with a woman in my age group thus to far has been a woman with PCOS.

She didn't say she wouldn't take my money for IVF BUT I think her practice is against for ethics sake. I wonder if I can convince them somehow?

She ALSO felt like PGD testing buts the harvested egg at further risk of deterioration due to time out of body and in medium?

I guess than that is when you need a FANTASTIC lab.

I wish I had an apartment in NYC. I would be there in a minute then and just go for it.

Kim
Kim

March 29th, 2012, 3:12 pm #9

Don't know why I am NOT logged in when posting but I was on iPhone sitting in a waiting room for my newly acquired rash so YES it was me, SillyPuppy who wrote that above.
What I was saying is not to waste your time on just clomid or femera without IVF. I think IVF will eliminate the question on whether sperm and egg meet up. Whether you decide a natural IVF or low-dose or moderate dose IVF - you need to decide that one.

You have good stats like my friend has at 45. She told me her protocol was 300iu FSH beginning days step up to 375iu FSH total (by adding 75iu menopur and 300iu gonal-f) and then step up to 450iu (150iu menopur and 300 gonal-f) - but she did ZIFT. This is a moderate dosage of meds and she had 10 eggs resulting in 8 fertilized eggs. Giving you an example of a protocol.

Other examples...I've read about woman that do natural IVF's at your age too and it took one woman 11 retrievals to get a THB. I had a friend on another 40+TTC board that conceived naturally her first child after doing acu and herbs and TI and getting an ovulation monitor - after a few months BFP at 45 and had a lovely daughter. Know another woman on this same board at 45 get lucky on her first full blown IVF - but she was having m/c after m/c at 43 and 44 - so I think woman with successive m/c tend to get their THB eventually. It can happen!

SillyPuppy
SillyPuppy

March 31st, 2012, 1:04 pm #10

I have re-established new limits for myself in this process and they are (drumroll.......):

I am NOT going to go for IVF even if...

I am going to do this lightly medicated cycle and see what happens to my poor old ovaries and then I am going to do another medicated cycle with IUI and IF there is no BFP with these attempts I am going to go back to my natural ways with my supplements BECAUSE I had noticed that since mid-January when I first started adding supplements into my regimen and focusing on my diet my BBT and my cycle seemed to be moving toward a good place. Charting was positive, fertility signs were good and getting better. I wonder if I just leave myself alone I might not just get pregnant naturally even though I am 45. I feel somewhat more positive since I have had 2 prior pregs BUT in the back of my mind my BIGGEST concern is my age and not having a m/c. Not sure I am going to have a problem getting pregnant but there are my limits.

I just have to say as an aside that I am really in AWE of all the women here and the journey that they have been on to TTC.

It is truly inspiring.

Confirmation of reply: