Don't Want to Give Up!

Don't Want to Give Up!

April 6th, 2012, 3:22 pm #1

Hello all - I am new to the site I have been ttc for almost 2 years. I am 43 years old and I've had 3 miscarriages - 2 chemical pregnancies and a loss at 8 weeks. I have done 4 insemination cycles with no luck (last mc was on the first IUI cycle). My doctor did a hysteroscopy last month and removed a polyp and scar tissue that were blocking the openings from my tubes. In my post-op meeting with my dr, she informed me of my high FSH levels and told me I have about a 5% chance of getting pregnant, and that she really didn't think the blockages were the issue. We cannot afford IVF or donor eggs because insurance will not cover it.

I have been trying to track my ovulation this month with OPKs and it's day 18 in my cycle. I have never been able to detect a positive LH surge on one of these tests before. Because of the IUI treatments and polyps, my cycles have been anywhere from 22-29 days so it's hard to know when I'm actually ovulating, if at all. I finally got a dark line on my OPK this morning but I am not sure if I am actually having my LH surge this late. I may be trying to read into a positive result but who knows....

We are trying on our own this month and will resume IUI treatments for the remaining 2 cycles our insurance covers.

If I am ovulating this late, I am thinking it's too late to get pregnant this time. Any thoughts?

April 6th, 2012, 3:44 pm #2

First of all, welcome to the board! I'm sorry you have to be here, but I have found this board to be a wonderful source of support/information and hopefully you will too. I'm so sorry for your losses. I have had two early miscarriages and it was really hard. I have a couple of questions for you: 1) How many times during the day do you use OPKs? Sometimes if you only use them once a day, you can miss your surge. 2) Do you temp (to help confirm that ovulation actually occurred)? With regard to your question about whether it's too late to get pregnant (if you haven't ovulated by Day 18), I know a number of people who ovulated well after Day 14 and still got pregnant. So, don't give up! Good luck.

April 6th, 2012, 4:41 pm #3

Thanks for the support! I started off only testing once a day because my doctor told me that the morning was the best time due to it being more concentrated. I didn't even get a second line on the test until day 16 (it was faint) and at that time I started doing it twice a day. The evening test lines were much lighter than the morning ones. This morning's test was the darkest line I've had so far. It's ALMOST the same as the test line, but may be a touch lighter....

I have not done temperature charting since I have been doing the IUI treatments. My cycle has been all over the place and they usually had me trigger my ovulation for day 10 or 11, which is very different than what I'm seeing right now.

I really don't want to give up but it is hard when it seems like everyone around me is getting pregnant... I want it more than I can even tell you!

Kim
Kim

April 6th, 2012, 4:41 pm #4

Hello all - I am new to the site I have been ttc for almost 2 years. I am 43 years old and I've had 3 miscarriages - 2 chemical pregnancies and a loss at 8 weeks. I have done 4 insemination cycles with no luck (last mc was on the first IUI cycle). My doctor did a hysteroscopy last month and removed a polyp and scar tissue that were blocking the openings from my tubes. In my post-op meeting with my dr, she informed me of my high FSH levels and told me I have about a 5% chance of getting pregnant, and that she really didn't think the blockages were the issue. We cannot afford IVF or donor eggs because insurance will not cover it.

I have been trying to track my ovulation this month with OPKs and it's day 18 in my cycle. I have never been able to detect a positive LH surge on one of these tests before. Because of the IUI treatments and polyps, my cycles have been anywhere from 22-29 days so it's hard to know when I'm actually ovulating, if at all. I finally got a dark line on my OPK this morning but I am not sure if I am actually having my LH surge this late. I may be trying to read into a positive result but who knows....

We are trying on our own this month and will resume IUI treatments for the remaining 2 cycles our insurance covers.

If I am ovulating this late, I am thinking it's too late to get pregnant this time. Any thoughts?
day 18 is not too late, but it is rather late for a 29 day cycle. Like the PP, do you temperature chart to match the surge with your temp rise? Generally you will ovulate half way through your cycle, so for 29 days - around days 13-15 with a surge 1-2 days prior or days 11-14 for possible surge days.

Sure that you just need to hit a golden egg...have heard of a few woman at our age that conceived naturally. Have you thought about adding COQ10 to your regime? We have less COQ10 as we age. There have been a couple discussions on this board in the last month or so on it. Ubiquitol is the form of COQ10 that your body uses, so best to get that one rather than just plain COQ10 (which needs to be converted by our bodies first) but it works too.

For ovulation test kits, I go to earlypregnancytests.com to order and use the promo code amaz23 for a 10% discount. These kits work well and are less expensive, that way you can take 2-3 times per day (not using first morning urine) for the surge on your key possible surge days. I get a fade in pattern most months where there is a faint line that develops into a darker or as dark as the control line a couple of days later. As long as your are having TI or relations around the surge to O, you should be ok. Also, check for cervical mucous, which is scant as we get older. I've read some woman say that Dr. C.heck's office has them take mucinex (gufasein) from day 5 through to O for better cervical mucous. Just some thoughts...sure you are in the know a little more because you've had some luck with CP's - which are good signs the body is doing what it needs to do.

April 7th, 2012, 5:23 am #5

I would have actually missed it completely if I had not taken it at 12am on Christmas Evening this last Xmas. I had a negative surge at 9 AM on 12/23 and then a positive surge at 12 AM on 12/24. I took it at midnight because I felt ovulatory pains. The next morning it was negative again. I even used 2 separate tests from 2 different companies during this episode because I have a tendency to miss my surge as well. I think I'm just one of those gals that has a short surge timeframe and it is very easy for me to miss it. The only way I can tell is via charting body temp and CM changes, which is what I use as markers now because the surge kit thing doesn't work that well for me.

The other option is to use Ovidrel to induce ovulation once your follicles have reached a certain size and then plan to do the IUI following the Ovidrel injection. This might be a way to ensure you don't miss your ovulatory timeframe, even if you are just trying naturally. My cousin used this method even when she was just trying naturally once she stopped going the IVF and IUI route due to money constraints. Her RE was perfectly fine with that approach.

April 9th, 2012, 4:46 am #6

And don't give up. If you are up for it then tracking your morning temperature may help you to see if you are ovulating. Day 18 is not too late at all to ovulate. I wish you luck!

April 9th, 2012, 12:44 pm #7

day 18 is not too late, but it is rather late for a 29 day cycle. Like the PP, do you temperature chart to match the surge with your temp rise? Generally you will ovulate half way through your cycle, so for 29 days - around days 13-15 with a surge 1-2 days prior or days 11-14 for possible surge days.

Sure that you just need to hit a golden egg...have heard of a few woman at our age that conceived naturally. Have you thought about adding COQ10 to your regime? We have less COQ10 as we age. There have been a couple discussions on this board in the last month or so on it. Ubiquitol is the form of COQ10 that your body uses, so best to get that one rather than just plain COQ10 (which needs to be converted by our bodies first) but it works too.

For ovulation test kits, I go to earlypregnancytests.com to order and use the promo code amaz23 for a 10% discount. These kits work well and are less expensive, that way you can take 2-3 times per day (not using first morning urine) for the surge on your key possible surge days. I get a fade in pattern most months where there is a faint line that develops into a darker or as dark as the control line a couple of days later. As long as your are having TI or relations around the surge to O, you should be ok. Also, check for cervical mucous, which is scant as we get older. I've read some woman say that Dr. C.heck's office has them take mucinex (gufasein) from day 5 through to O for better cervical mucous. Just some thoughts...sure you are in the know a little more because you've had some luck with CP's - which are good signs the body is doing what it needs to do.
I've never heard of using Mucinex to help? What does it do?

April 9th, 2012, 12:48 pm #8

I would have actually missed it completely if I had not taken it at 12am on Christmas Evening this last Xmas. I had a negative surge at 9 AM on 12/23 and then a positive surge at 12 AM on 12/24. I took it at midnight because I felt ovulatory pains. The next morning it was negative again. I even used 2 separate tests from 2 different companies during this episode because I have a tendency to miss my surge as well. I think I'm just one of those gals that has a short surge timeframe and it is very easy for me to miss it. The only way I can tell is via charting body temp and CM changes, which is what I use as markers now because the surge kit thing doesn't work that well for me.

The other option is to use Ovidrel to induce ovulation once your follicles have reached a certain size and then plan to do the IUI following the Ovidrel injection. This might be a way to ensure you don't miss your ovulatory timeframe, even if you are just trying naturally. My cousin used this method even when she was just trying naturally once she stopped going the IVF and IUI route due to money constraints. Her RE was perfectly fine with that approach.
I have used Ovidrel in the past when I had IUI cycles and when I was using Femarra prior to starting IUI. I think I may ask my dr. about using it if the IUI cycles don't work.

I think I am feeling every twinge in my body these days trying to read into whether it's something or nothing. I have no idea when I actually ovulate these days because I feel something just about every day! ha ha! Some months I totally feel it, along with breast soreness and other months there is nothing.

I will try the temperature charting since I haven't done that before. I need all the help I can get! Thanks!

Kim
Kim

April 9th, 2012, 3:17 pm #9

I've never heard of using Mucinex to help? What does it do?
Muci.nex helps with getting more CM. I've read to take it day 5 to O, but sure you can alter that if you O later in your cycle.

Confirmation of reply: