dilemma - advice needed

dilemma - advice needed

October 14th, 2011, 5:14 pm #1

I'm pretty upset and need advice. I have been struggling with thin lining. I was thinking about doing a FET with Dr. T with some frozen embryos that I have banked throughout the years. My dilemma is this - Dr. T measured my lining to be around 7mm. He is thinking I should go ahead and start progesterone and do a transfer. I still had doubt so I went to Cooper this morning, and they measured it to be a 5mm. I saw the picture and I do think Cooper is correct. How do I let Dr. T know that I don't think he measured my lining correctly? Also, I am supposed to start progesterone- should I just cancel the cycle?

I don't want to offend him, but in my situation I don't want to waste my embryos. I cried all morning - and now am just numb. And so tired of this ....
Last edited by alima1 on October 14th, 2011, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

October 14th, 2011, 5:43 pm #2

Alima...I'm so sorry that you have this dilemmma. Who did the u/s at Cooper? Was it a Dr. or a nurse? Whomever it was...do you trust that they were accurate? Do you trust that they were correct over Dr. T? In any case..I would not go forward with doubt....your embies are too precious.

October 14th, 2011, 5:49 pm #3

I'm pretty upset and need advice. I have been struggling with thin lining. I was thinking about doing a FET with Dr. T with some frozen embryos that I have banked throughout the years. My dilemma is this - Dr. T measured my lining to be around 7mm. He is thinking I should go ahead and start progesterone and do a transfer. I still had doubt so I went to Cooper this morning, and they measured it to be a 5mm. I saw the picture and I do think Cooper is correct. How do I let Dr. T know that I don't think he measured my lining correctly? Also, I am supposed to start progesterone- should I just cancel the cycle?

I don't want to offend him, but in my situation I don't want to waste my embryos. I cried all morning - and now am just numb. And so tired of this ....
I would not waste embryos if you are not comfortable. I'm not sure how accurate measurements are but each clinic uses their own standards for measuring probably. Just like different labs gets different results with the same sample. I think I would just tell Dr. T what happened and asked to be measured again. Or don't tell him but ask for another measurement because you are really worried about your lining thickness.

Are your embroys stored with Dr. T? Have you had better lining measurements in the past?

I wish you luck.

Antonialisa
Antonialisa

October 14th, 2011, 6:53 pm #4

Without knowing anything else about it, I'd trust a properly trained ultrasound technican's call over a doctor's when intepreting u/s results. Not all technicians are good, but doctors don't do it day in and day out and don't have the same training. Can you get a third opinion somewhere maybe?

Good luck to you.

October 14th, 2011, 7:02 pm #5

Based on my experiences with a couple of other clinics, I'd tend to trust Cooper's u/s techs. How much time elapsed between your u/s with Dr. T and the one at Cooper? Was it just a day apart? Are you doing a natural cycle or taking estrogen to prime your lining?

I don't blame you for not wanting to risk your precious embryos. If you don't want to offend him, I'd say you decided to wait another month or something if you don't want to let him know you were questioning his u/s skills.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

October 14th, 2011, 7:05 pm #6

Without knowing anything else about it, I'd trust a properly trained ultrasound technican's call over a doctor's when intepreting u/s results. Not all technicians are good, but doctors don't do it day in and day out and don't have the same training. Can you get a third opinion somewhere maybe?

Good luck to you.
That's true of most Dr.'s...but not Dr. T. He does each and every ultrasound himself of all of his patients..so he does MANY each and every day. I also think Alima that because of this...he knows your lining. Still...you need to be comfortable. I have one more thought...would it be possible to go to Cooper again tomorrow and have someone else measure your lining? Sort of a check on both measurements? If not, have Dr. T measure it again..just say that you are nervous and would like it measured again.

October 14th, 2011, 7:16 pm #7

Good luck to you.
and whenever Dr. T measured my lining, I always felt he had the probe measurements higher than where the lining started (so that he was measuring uterine muscle over the actual "lining" part). I do know the Cooper techs do thousands of these lining measurements in the course of a year. Not sure where I can get a third opinion, and I guess even if I start the progesterone, I can cancel up to the last moment, right?
Last edited by alima1 on October 14th, 2011, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

October 14th, 2011, 7:23 pm #8

I did a natural FET so I did not take progesterone until after the transfer. What exactly is your protocol? How much in advance of your FET do you start progesterone? I guess my thinking is Dr. T would have to measure your lining again before transfer I assume...right? If so...that gives you and your lining some more time and it also maybe gives you some time to get a third person to look at your lining. In any case Alima...you've worked sooo hard for your embies...you need to be comfortable and not worry about offending anyone.

October 14th, 2011, 7:24 pm #9

Based on my experiences with a couple of other clinics, I'd tend to trust Cooper's u/s techs. How much time elapsed between your u/s with Dr. T and the one at Cooper? Was it just a day apart? Are you doing a natural cycle or taking estrogen to prime your lining?

I don't blame you for not wanting to risk your precious embryos. If you don't want to offend him, I'd say you decided to wait another month or something if you don't want to let him know you were questioning his u/s skills.
I was on estrogen to prime the lining. As I mentioned in the above post - Dr. T tends to put the probe higher (so it appears to me that he is measuring the darker areas which usually is the uterine muscle). Cooper only measures the bright white areas which they claim is the uterine "lining". I am really torn. I am supposed to start progesterone, but I feel really uncomfortable with what I saw today at Cooper. I even have the US picture (I got a copy so that I could study it more at home).

October 14th, 2011, 7:38 pm #10

I'm not familiar with your clinics or doctors but after reading the above, if Dr. T does all his own measurements I would think he is consistent in the way he/she measures. I would ask Dr. T for another measurement letting the doctor know you are really nervous to transfer with your measurement.

Confirmation of reply: