confused - question about banking and back to back cycles

confused - question about banking and back to back cycles

March 29th, 2012, 11:02 pm #1

My question is related to the A.lex.is Ste.w,art post below (2nd one by B). The whole theory about banking is that you cycle every month, fairly nonstop. However, in two of the posts below, posters are expressing the concern of the woman's health when you do this type of banking. Essentially saying that it probably can cause irreparable harm to the woman. I know no one knows for certain, but is this really true? I thought that with banking, because you are doing low stim, and your estrogen is really not going that high every month, that it was relatively safe (at least I think many RE's have said this to me, even Dr. Ch.ec.k). Obviously you would not want to do high or even medium stims every month because of the dangers, but I thought from several RE's I have heard that low stim was relatively safe, even month after month (low stim = 150IU or less).

March 29th, 2012, 11:21 pm #2

The IVF procedure itself poses no cancer fear at all. The biggest cancer risk is really from elevated estrogen particularly for those with very sensitive estrogen receptors. There are many women out there trying on their own using Clomid month after month, that is no different from banking. Here is a study on cancer risk of fertility drugs.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/06/healt ... ancer.html

However, personally I would electively take out my ovaries when I am done with this just to be cautious. Ovarian cancer incidence typically surges right around menopause, unless one has a family history.

Even within the infertile group that they sampled, only 0.3% have ovarian cancer and the mean age is 63. There is plenty of time before that mean age that you can bank and then take out your ovaries.

March 30th, 2012, 11:59 am #3

I think this is probably the study that Dr. Ch,ec,k was referring to. He had told me that FSH injectible meds are fairly safe at low stim. He said that if you take FSH meds, he monitors your FSH levels, and if it goes high (let's say around 30), that is no different than a woman that has a FSH of 30 to begin with. Having a high FSH isn't a risk for cancer (otherwise all menopausal women would have higher risk), and that he feels that the high estrogen levels are the concern.

As far as electing to take out the ovaries, I asked Dr. T, this question, and he actually thought it wasn't a bad idea (when I reach menopause). My husband also thinks it isn't a bad idea. So, this may be a dumb question - but when you reach menopause, are the ovaries releasing any hormones at all? There aren't eggs growing, but is there any estrogen at all (even a small amount)? Would you need to supplement with HRT?

March 30th, 2012, 10:29 pm #4

try to stay away from HRT if possible. It is a major factor in setting off uterine cancer, due to the extra estrogen in the therapy. When we are at menopause, the ovaries cease their functions and don't produce hormones any more. In essence, they have expired in your body, so taking them out is just like disposing empty batteries.

SillyPuppy
SillyPuppy

March 31st, 2012, 12:56 pm #5

I am in the camp of BHRT.

If I drop so precipitously in estrogen that I find my skin aging rapidly among OTHER things I am DEFINITELY using it.

I have used compounded testosterone and progesterone BHRT in the past and will go back to it.

Have you looked into that?

Confirmation of reply: