Anyone doing medicated cycles only?

Anyone doing medicated cycles only?

SillyPuppy
SillyPuppy

March 19th, 2012, 1:02 am #1

Because I am 45 my RE will not do IVF. I am left to do medicated cycles and IUI and/or timed intercourse. I only been TTC for one month. I am a crossroads because I wonder if I should take the leap and fly to NYC (closest site to me) and see someone at SIRM or New Hope. I don't want to go down this road wreaking havoc on my body for no tangible results. Of course nothing is guaranteed anyway and the effort to do IVF for women of my age is all relatively new with low yields.

If I do medicated cycles only I will be doing femara, menopur and an HCG trigger. That would be my first medicated cycle. She says she would tweak things as I went along if this doesn't work. We have no idea of how I will respond.

My RE is not fond of New Hope and in some regards she, along with another RE I met with think of them almost as charlatans who will take money but not really produce good results.

There is a part of me that respects her deeply as she works as a professor of RE at a major teaching hospital/university BUT there is another part of me that wonders if she is limiting me in some way?

I am getting such a mixed response the MORE I do research in various locations.

I think I will be doing another post soon about the SIRM protocol just to see what they say.

There is also a part of me that just wants to TTC naturally and not step off this cliff for fear of what it all will do to my body.

There is also a part of me that wants to make my best risk be the one most likely to yield results so I wonder if it is worth coordinating treatment in NYC.

ANYTHING you all can share with me would be so helpful.

SillyPuppy
SillyPuppy

March 19th, 2012, 1:04 am #2

I should add to the above message the below stats:

I had my CD1 and CD3 blood work done. RE did it on day 1 and OB did it on day 3

RE results: FSH 10.5 LH 3.9 and Estradiol 21

OB results: FSH 13 LH n/t and Estradiol 12

I also had AMH done and got a .55 and an AFC done day 1 and it was 8.

TenaciouB
TenaciouB

March 19th, 2012, 3:11 pm #3

You are smart to consider your options. I think it wouldn't hurt to consult w/ Dr. Tortoriello at SIRM NY. He frequently advocates for multiple IVF cycles with embryo banking (which I'm currently doing). Dr. T thinks IVF is the best way to go for the over 40 crowd. He'll try low, medium, or high stim protocols - whichever gets the best results for you. Trust your instincts and best of luck to you!

SillyPuppy
SillyPuppy

March 19th, 2012, 4:17 pm #4

I have a phone consult with their Westchester office this week. I didn't want to wait until I could book with Dr. T. They assured me that the Dr. I would talk to would be on board with the Manhattan office protocols because IF (and that is a BIG IF) I decided to go that route, that is where I would go.

My BIG questions with all of this is WHAT really are the odds one way or another. I am very curious about stats.

What do you know about any of this in your endeavor?

By the way, are you comfortable sharing your personal information: age, time TTC, CD 3 results?

I am newly 45 and have TTC for 2 months and still in 2WW of TTC naturally of 2nd month.

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 19th, 2012, 6:19 pm #5

To your question about my stats, i'm one month shy of 44 & I've been cycling w/Dr. T for about a year (7 stim cycles w/various protocols/responses). Before Dr. T, I did 3 unsuccessful IUIs elsewhere. I don't know my 3-day fsh (I'd rather not know), but I know my estrogen is always in the normal to lowish range on Day 3. My AFC averages around 5, more or less. I have a modest response to stims & my ovarian reserve is an issue, but I've gotten some very good embryos lately & I'm still hopeful. My other surrounding factors are endo, a long-standing endometrioma on one of my ovaries, and a recently discovered uterine lining beta-3 integrin deficiency, for which I will soon undergo 3 months of Lupron depot treatment (I'll do FET after that). Also, I'm using DH's frozen sperm from 2007, since he's unfortunately undergoing chemo. No MF issues w/ the frozen semen.

As for success rates, here's how I think about it, statisically. Approx one in ten of my eggs would be viable at this point. About 2/5 of my 5 day blasts would be viable. If I get a CGH normal embryo, it has about a 40% chance of implanting.

FYI: I have 5 high quality blasts frozen from my last 2 retrievals. Four of those were from my last cycle, when saizen was added to my protocol. I have one more cycle to go before I get the CGH results. Fingers crossed!

TenaciousB
TenaciousB

March 19th, 2012, 6:20 pm #6

That was from me - not anon

SillyPuppy
SillyPuppy

March 19th, 2012, 6:41 pm #7

To your question about my stats, i'm one month shy of 44 & I've been cycling w/Dr. T for about a year (7 stim cycles w/various protocols/responses). Before Dr. T, I did 3 unsuccessful IUIs elsewhere. I don't know my 3-day fsh (I'd rather not know), but I know my estrogen is always in the normal to lowish range on Day 3. My AFC averages around 5, more or less. I have a modest response to stims & my ovarian reserve is an issue, but I've gotten some very good embryos lately & I'm still hopeful. My other surrounding factors are endo, a long-standing endometrioma on one of my ovaries, and a recently discovered uterine lining beta-3 integrin deficiency, for which I will soon undergo 3 months of Lupron depot treatment (I'll do FET after that). Also, I'm using DH's frozen sperm from 2007, since he's unfortunately undergoing chemo. No MF issues w/ the frozen semen.

As for success rates, here's how I think about it, statisically. Approx one in ten of my eggs would be viable at this point. About 2/5 of my 5 day blasts would be viable. If I get a CGH normal embryo, it has about a 40% chance of implanting.

FYI: I have 5 high quality blasts frozen from my last 2 retrievals. Four of those were from my last cycle, when saizen was added to my protocol. I have one more cycle to go before I get the CGH results. Fingers crossed!
Thanks for sharing that information.

My CD 1 and CD 3 numbers are respectively:

FSH 10.5/13
Estradiol 21 /12
LH 3.9/NT

My thryoids are all normal.

AMH- .55

AFC 8

Uterus is fine, no issues and tubes are clear

I had a prior successful pregnancy 11 years ago, no complications and not even TTC.

Sounds like SIRM has been really thorough in testing your.

My husband's sperm are normal for all testing.

I ovulate regularly and have a 27 "normal" cycle.

It looks like my MAJOR issue thus to far is the fact that I am old as I am newly 45. I don't know if you feel this way but all of this has suddenly made me feel like the OLDEST 45 year old around.

Sigh....

I REALLY appreciate your honesty and sharing. I will look forward to my telephone consult with SIRM.

I wouldn't mind trying the IUI/medication route BUT I am concerned it is just a waste of time and the drugs would be deleterious to my fertility which is already seemingly fragile.

SillyPuppy
SillyPuppy

March 19th, 2012, 6:43 pm #8

Not sure if I have already written this but have only been TTC for 2 months. I am 2WW of second month.

SillyPuppy
SillyPuppy

March 19th, 2012, 6:45 pm #9

FSH 10.5/13
Estradiol 21 /12
LH 3.9/NT

AMH- .55

AFC 8

I had a prior successful pregnancy 11 years ago, no complications and not even TTC.

It looks like my MAJOR issue thus to far is the fact that I am old as I am newly 45. I don't know if you feel this way but all of this has suddenly made me feel like the OLDEST 45 year old around.

Sigh....

I REALLY appreciate your honesty and sharing. I will look forward to my telephone consult with SIRM.

I wouldn't mind trying the IUI/medication route BUT I am concerned it is just a waste of time and the drugs would be deleterious to my fertility which is already seemingly fragile.
I made some typos in that message so if it not clear I am sorry.

I think it is pretty clear and I am not sure why I cannot edit?

TenaciousB
TenaciousB

March 19th, 2012, 7:16 pm #10

FSH 10.5/13
Estradiol 21 /12
LH 3.9/NT

AMH- .55

AFC 8

Sigh....

With your AFC, an optimized protocol should be able to recruit the majority of your 8 follicles, and I think you'll get better results (more embryos) from IVF than the medicated TI route, but you'll know after trying a couple protocols to see how you respond. Your body's specific response is more indicative of potential success than the numbers (age,fsh).

IVF is an emotional rollercoaster.. It could take several cycles to get a BFP- and that's if you're lucky.

All best wishes! I've heard good things about Dr. Brown in Westchester.

Confirmation of reply: