Any downside to using Femara for IVF?

Any downside to using Femara for IVF?

Bea
Bea

April 7th, 2012, 3:52 am #1

I had a consult w/one of the RE's in the Bay area and asked him about using Femara along with follistim for a fresh cycle IVF. He said he doesn't recommend it because it was bad for implantation. Has anyone else heard that? I thought Femara was often used for fresh mini-IVF cycles...

BroodyHen
BroodyHen

April 7th, 2012, 5:28 am #2

sillypuppy posted a question about this a couple of days ago. tracy said it worked wonders for her - tracy would you mind elaborating? did you find success on a femara cycle?

i am thinking about femera for a low-stim TI cycle. or maybe even a natural cycle. i don't know anything about it so am very interested in any responses...
thanks.

Louise
Louise

April 7th, 2012, 9:00 am #3

Hi,
I did femara and stims antagonist (300 bravelle and 75 menopur, I think I started femara and stims on day 2 of the cycle and started cetrotide on day 6)
I got my best response from that, 5 follicles but 2 eggs, which went on to be a chemical.
I am a v v poor responder and out of 5 cycles this is the only one that went to transfer so it was a good response for me. No lining problems at all.
I have moved on to DE but if I had done this protocol earlier maybe I would have been successful, who knows?!

The best of luck to you,
xx

Louise
Louise

April 7th, 2012, 9:02 am #4

sillypuppy posted a question about this a couple of days ago. tracy said it worked wonders for her - tracy would you mind elaborating? did you find success on a femara cycle?

i am thinking about femera for a low-stim TI cycle. or maybe even a natural cycle. i don't know anything about it so am very interested in any responses...
thanks.
Sorry I misread your post, you were talking about TI, disregard my post above!

BroodyHen
BroodyHen

April 7th, 2012, 2:26 pm #5

i highjacked the original post, sorry bea! bea asked in regards to IVF and your reply is helpful for me even for TI cycles. very interesting to hear you had your best response with femara. thanks for the reply

alima
alima

April 7th, 2012, 3:14 pm #6

I had a consult w/one of the RE's in the Bay area and asked him about using Femara along with follistim for a fresh cycle IVF. He said he doesn't recommend it because it was bad for implantation. Has anyone else heard that? I thought Femara was often used for fresh mini-IVF cycles...
I do know that Dr. T uses Femara for his EZ-IV.F cycles. Does your doctor have any studies that support Femara is bad for implantation? I think many have also used it in IUI.

Mtoto2
Mtoto2

April 7th, 2012, 5:27 pm #7

but says he didn't see any marginal advantage. He's normally very flexible in trying anything but this was the one he wouldn't do. I forget his exact words but something to the effect of it being contra indicated or there's a warning out not to use it for anything other than it's original intended use. I begged him to try it & the compromise was that he'd do some further research & then decide. Not sure if he did but he stood his ground.

April 7th, 2012, 6:32 pm #8

I actually asked Dr. T this question and he said the studies were flawed. The study looked at women that used Femara after pregnancy. His feeling was that in IVF it is used so early on that nothing remains in your system by the time you get into transfer. I don't know about the implantation issue though - maybe there are some residual effects in your lining that could contribute to poor implantation.

Bea
Bea

April 7th, 2012, 8:17 pm #9

The RE didn't show me any research or data, but he said he felt that the femara was bad for implantation. He said we could use it if we freezed the embryos and did a frozen transfer but was afraid to use it for a fresh transfer. So confusing...

April 7th, 2012, 9:04 pm #10

I did a high stime IVF cycle with Femara on days 3-7 and then added in 600iu of follistim on day 5 (I think). It was June of last year so I'm not exactly sure of the details anymore. It also included Menopur and Ganirelix.

I stimmed the same on this protocol as I did on a plain Antagonist cycle with follistim. The only problem I had (and I don't blame the Femara), is my estrogen stalled and they ended up triggering earlier then they probably should have. All my eggs were immature. One matured invitro so I was able to go to transfer. Don't be alarmed though if your estrogen doesn't rise like other cycles. Femara really seems to shut down my estrogen levels and it takes awhile for it to right itself.

Nothing was mentioned to me about implanation issues with Femara. My lining was fine, but I don't tend to have lining issues.

Confirmation of reply: