an interesting article on embryo banking at SIRM for high FSH 42 year-old

an interesting article on embryo banking at SIRM for high FSH 42 year-old

Jamie
Jamie

December 21st, 2011, 3:03 am #1

SMRC
SMRC

December 21st, 2011, 4:19 am #2

In some ways I feel like you have to be brave to go the banking route, since it takes so much darn time, and you really are putting all your eggs in one basket so to speak (no pun intended ) But it does make a lot of sense, in many ways. SMRC

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 21st, 2011, 3:36 pm #3

Makes sense when so many eggs are expected to be abnormal.

Jamie
Jamie

December 21st, 2011, 4:34 pm #4

I wonder if my current clinic can do CGH? Will have to ask. I agree that it's a critical component of the plan.

anonforthis
anonforthis

December 21st, 2011, 4:43 pm #5

Makes sense when so many eggs are expected to be abnormal.
but I don't think you necessarily need to do CGH, as you can reasonably transfer 5 embryos at a time if you're over 42 and have struggled with infertility. Personally, I'd rather do that than risk losing any viable embryos.

BabyDance
BabyDance

December 21st, 2011, 5:28 pm #6

it's nice that it's worked for this women, but FSH of 14 is not that high and she still got a decent amount of eggs. I know she is DOR, but there is a whole other level of DOR some of us are working with, one egg at time, if we are lucky. I, personally, don't want to freeze that one egg. I'd rather put it back. Jamie - may be a good plan for you still, if you get a few eggs at time and your FSH isn't rising terribly.

Antonialisa
Antonialisa

December 21st, 2011, 6:28 pm #7

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 21st, 2011, 7:43 pm #8

I wonder if my current clinic can do CGH? Will have to ask. I agree that it's a critical component of the plan.
Places like CCRM etc do it all the time for older patients AND for younger patients with repeat loss.

Most clinics say they can do CGH, but all they really do is the biopsy and ship it out. You have no way of knowing if they are competent at the biopsy portion if they are not doing this day-in, day-out. One biopsy a month is NOT enough practice for an embryologist. Usually places that don't do much of it will discourage patients (saying it damages the embryos), but the competent places do not have this problem.

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 21st, 2011, 7:47 pm #9

but I don't think you necessarily need to do CGH, as you can reasonably transfer 5 embryos at a time if you're over 42 and have struggled with infertility. Personally, I'd rather do that than risk losing any viable embryos.
Transferring 5 untested embryos can be a disaster, resulting in high order multiples or a miscarriage. If it is a mix of abnormal and normal embryos, the abnormals can take down the entire pregnancy. Better to transfer one proven normal one than 5 unknowns.

If the testing reveals they are all abnormal, the patient avoids a BFN or worse, a horrible miscarriage.

Jamie
Jamie

December 21st, 2011, 8:22 pm #10

Places like CCRM etc do it all the time for older patients AND for younger patients with repeat loss.

Most clinics say they can do CGH, but all they really do is the biopsy and ship it out. You have no way of knowing if they are competent at the biopsy portion if they are not doing this day-in, day-out. One biopsy a month is NOT enough practice for an embryologist. Usually places that don't do much of it will discourage patients (saying it damages the embryos), but the competent places do not have this problem.
I'm pretty sure my clinic doesn't do it in house, but I know they have very good lab people. I'll see how much of this they do when I talk with them in 2012.

Confirmation of reply: