Advice for my 28 year old niece (x post)

Advice for my 28 year old niece (x post)

July 18th, 2012, 11:09 am #1

Hi Ladies, I am from the pink board, but hoping maybe you can give me some advice.

Thought I would ask the experts first. I don"t have much information on my nieces situation because she does not really confide to her mom (my sister) about their situation. They did have a brief conversation about it last week. I dont ever talk to my niece directly. Her and her DH have been TTC for about 5 years. My sister thinks she has done some sort of treatment at a clinic in FL, but does not have any details. They got the unexplained infertility dx. One of the issues, was that the meds really had bad side effects for her. She and her husband are trying to accept life without children, but we all know that is difficult to do. I can give some advice, but I am hoping that many of you can offer me some additional advice, since I never did OE IVF.

I really think that a second opinion is necessary. Is there a RE you ladies would recommend for OE IVF? Would they do a phone consult. (Mainly need to know for the US)

Any RE's in the NY area that you would recommend?

What testing do you think she should insist having?

Did any of you have bad side effects from the meds b/f cycling? If so, were you able to take or do something for these bad side effects? Did the side effects continue throughout pregnancy?

Is there an infertility board that would be appropriate for her?

My sister is so upset for her and the worst part about it is that my niece does not really confide in her. So, she really does not know if she will have additional conversations about her situation. How would you approach it? Ironically, 3 years ago when I first started the DE process, my niece wrote my sister a beautiful letter about my situation and how she wanted to donate her eggs to us. I wonder if I should try to contact her and let her know that I get it and would like to do whatever I can to guide her through this awful process.

TIA

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

July 18th, 2012, 12:11 pm #2

Hi,

Sorry to hear this about your niece. I would tell her to go see either Dr. Owen Davis at Cornell, Dr. Tortoriello at SIRM in NYC or Dr. Check in New Nersey for a second opinion. My Dr is/ was Tortoriello and I can't speak highly enough about him. Do a search of all three on the over 40 and regular High FSH boards. Good luck.

Kim
Kim

July 18th, 2012, 1:51 pm #3

I'd have her see a separate doctor, Dr. Bra.verman, in NY for possible immune issue too...just to make sure there are not other underlying issues. The testing can be quite expensive ($2,000) without insurance, but worth it to see if there is anything to be done without too much medical intervention. Dr. D.av.is/Cor.nell in NY is really quite good, so I'd start there in terms of RE's. Sometimes RE's will work with immunologists, like Dr. Bra.verman, but I think Dr. B also does IVF - although I'd stick to Corne.ll for the IVF.

Dr. Chec.k in NJ for a second opinion right off the bat - she could see him the same month as Dr. D...Dr. C really seems to know what the issues are that other RE's, like Dr. D, don't discuss with you.

July 18th, 2012, 2:13 pm #4

Thanks kim. These boards are just wonderful.

July 18th, 2012, 2:13 pm #5

Hi,

Sorry to hear this about your niece. I would tell her to go see either Dr. Owen Davis at Cornell, Dr. Tortoriello at SIRM in NYC or Dr. Check in New Nersey for a second opinion. My Dr is/ was Tortoriello and I can't speak highly enough about him. Do a search of all three on the over 40 and regular High FSH boards. Good luck.
Thanks dee, responded on yellow board n/t

Confirmation of reply: