1 20mm follicle. What would you do?

1 20mm follicle. What would you do?

PhoebeMass
PhoebeMass

May 25th, 2012, 11:28 am #1

So, Day 10 here. Clomid and injectables cycle

Left: 20 mm follicle
Right: 2 10mm's that don't seem to be growing

E2 on Wed was 271. So that one follicle seems to be decent.

Generally, when we go to ER I have 3 in the running.

Would you go to ER with only 1?

I only have 2 cycles remaining. I can cancel this one and do 2 more.

I'm also getting mentally tired. I think I have 2 more cycles in me but that may be it.

Thoughts?

summerwind03
summerwind03

May 25th, 2012, 1:06 pm #2

and try for two more if you have the mental energy. Can you still do an IUI or have sex?

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 25th, 2012, 2:06 pm #3

I'm also getting mentally tired. I think I have 2 more cycles in me but that may be it.

Thoughts?
Go for it, and then try again soon if needed so you can move on to other options if needed..

Denise
Denise

May 25th, 2012, 2:08 pm #4

I think you have a little one then I agree so your kids will not be so far apart in age..

alima
alima

May 25th, 2012, 2:19 pm #5

Thoughts?
I'd save my cycle and just do TI or IUI this cycle. Sometimes you can start out with a good antral follicle count and one follicle just takes off. It doesn't mean it will happen every cycle. Since you have 3 cycles, I wouldn't waste one on this one. I would wait to do ER when I had more follicles that would yield mature eggs. I would try again next cycle, so that I am not wasting months in between.

BroodyHen
BroodyHen

May 25th, 2012, 2:49 pm #6

Thoughts?
i would cancel because you normally get the 3 eggs. i've never done IVF, but it seems to me to be a numbers game. since you can't keep trying with more and more cycles, then i'd make sure each cycle gives you the very best shot. assuming you have no MF then this cycle isn't a total bust and you have a chance to get that one egg, which might be the one, with TI. you could still trigger to make sure you get a good ovulation.

anyway, maybe clomid isn't the best protocol for you? but i'm thinking maybe you got the lead follicle because you started on day 4 and it might be worth trying again starting earlier. i started femara this cycle on day 3 and wish i had started on day 2 to slow things down a little more. or maybe try adding ganirelex right from the beginning of your cycle? you probably saw the recent post about what day is best to start stims below that is interesting.

this is exhausting! but at least you have set your limits. judging from your last cycle, you have a real fighting chance to find success. sorry this one didn't work out as you hoped.

May 25th, 2012, 3:44 pm #7

Thoughts?
If this is only day 10, this follicle is growing too fast. Typically for our age, on Clomid, you would want something like at least 12-14 (16 is not unheard of, but the general rule is longer stim is good for quality on Clomid) days of stim to get a good quality follicle. 20mm is about time to trigger but your E2 is only 271, I would like to see at least 300 at the trigger stage.

Just do TI, it is not even worth IUI because I am concerned about the short stim time.

May 25th, 2012, 4:08 pm #8

Based on my own experience and that of fellow mini-IVF bankers, while on Clomid, it is quite apparent to me that those of us on longer stim duration have produced higher grade blasts. High grade blasts are not necessarily normal, but the normal ratio is significantly higher among the high grade blasts compared to the low grade ones (roughly close to 30% normal vs 15% normal for our age group).

Again, it doesn't mean that shorter stim on Clomid will definitely produce lower quality eggs, but the odds is seemingly lower.

May 25th, 2012, 5:24 pm #9

Thoughts?
I would cancel and do IUI or timed BD and save the last 2 cycles. I hear ya on the exhaustion. While I am sad, I am so relieved to be done with my last cycle.

xoxo, Tracy

May 25th, 2012, 7:54 pm #10

Thoughts?
And Im doing Iui & intercourse. Best of luck to you!!

Confirmation of reply: