WWYD?

WWYD?

December 13th, 2011, 5:16 pm #1

Everyone here has been truly helpful to me..I feel bad sometimes that I don't reply with answers to others posts, because this is really all new to me, many of the things you are going through, I am in the process of learning and can't be of much help. But from my heart, I am praying for EVERYONE here!!

My question, is this-

If you had coverage for at best, one round of IVF and 6 IUI's, would you try the IUI's first and then go to IVF? (I would be over 40 if I did 6 consecutive IUI's) Or would you go straight to the IVF? Do the IUI's and try to save money so that maybe down the road again, we could try IVF if we save enough money-

I ask because what the first dr we saw...told me, haunts me-
"you are 39, you must be aggressive, don't wait, do what will give you the best results. IVF..."

Still getting a second and third opinion-

Thank you!

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

December 13th, 2011, 5:25 pm #2

At 39...you need to be agressive..especially with stats like ours. IUI's will always be there. An IUI just gets the sperm past the cervix. That's it. IUI can't guarantee fertilization whereas IVF can. Also..if you are doing medicated IUI's you will have put your body through 6 medicated cycles before first trying IVF and IMHO..the less meds in your system..the better...especially those of us that are of advanced maternal age. The reason that I say to do at least 1 IUI first is because it will give you an opportunity to see how your body responds to meds as opposed to first finding out this information on your one and only IVF. It will also allow you too how well your lining does. This will be important information to have once you move to IVF. IVF can be an expensive endeavor that is a series of trial runs.

AJ
AJ

December 13th, 2011, 5:29 pm #3

Everyone here has been truly helpful to me..I feel bad sometimes that I don't reply with answers to others posts, because this is really all new to me, many of the things you are going through, I am in the process of learning and can't be of much help. But from my heart, I am praying for EVERYONE here!!

My question, is this-

If you had coverage for at best, one round of IVF and 6 IUI's, would you try the IUI's first and then go to IVF? (I would be over 40 if I did 6 consecutive IUI's) Or would you go straight to the IVF? Do the IUI's and try to save money so that maybe down the road again, we could try IVF if we save enough money-

"you are 39, you must be aggressive, don't wait, do what will give you the best results. IVF..."

Thank you!
I've heard some cases where the insurance won't cover the IVF until a certain number of IUI's have been done. Might be something to look into. Otherwise I agree with Dee.

December 13th, 2011, 5:58 pm #4

My question, is this-

Thank you!
I'd go straight to IVF (nt)
Me- 30
Day 3- FSH 10.4, E2 42; Day 10- 16.6; Possible endo, slight anti sperm antibodies
DH- 30, low Morph
TTC 23 Cycles
2 Cycles on Clomid- BFN
3 Cycles on Femara & IUI- BFN
Now- Natural plus antioxidants, Acu/Herbs till IVF when we're ready emotionally

December 13th, 2011, 5:59 pm #5

I've heard some cases where the insurance won't cover the IVF until a certain number of IUI's have been done. Might be something to look into. Otherwise I agree with Dee.
i can go straight to IVF. checked yesterday!
thanks for replying. it helps me. alot!

b&a72
b&a72

December 13th, 2011, 7:04 pm #6

This is what we did and I was only 26, I felt this gave me the best chance at a successful pregnancy even though I was young but after 2 years of bfn I wanted this to work.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

December 13th, 2011, 7:10 pm #7

how long you have been TTC and how much patience you have to continue TTC without being aggressive (i.e. IVF).

Teresa - do you have MF? Or any particular issues? How long TTC? I'm sorry I'm not aware of your history.

AJ
AJ

December 13th, 2011, 7:19 pm #8

i can go straight to IVF. checked yesterday!
thanks for replying. it helps me. alot!
If not then I might change my advice and go straight to IVF. If meds are covered I'd be tempted to try 1 medicated IUI as a test to see response.

Hadas
Hadas

December 13th, 2011, 7:32 pm #9

Hi,
I don't know your history, but given your age (I'm 38, so very close), I would go directly to IVF. I started all of this 4 years ago and did one IUI which worked (though m/c after) followed by 5 more IUI's. In retrospect, I should never have done any more IUI's. IVF is what finally worked, so that's my suggestion. I was 34 then. Had this been now, I would also go directly to IVF.

Best of luck!

December 13th, 2011, 7:35 pm #10

how long you have been TTC and how much patience you have to continue TTC without being aggressive (i.e. IVF).

Teresa - do you have MF? Or any particular issues? How long TTC? I'm sorry I'm not aware of your history.
I dont know what MF is.
Been trying to conceive with my husband for a year. Had 2 miscarriages, last one in August. (3 miscarriages total, one was in 1999 before DH)
I am 39 yo, FSH 11.9, endometriosis and a history of cysts.