Update on my friend - not good (m/c ment.)

Update on my friend - not good (m/c ment.)

Bethpky
Bethpky

October 9th, 2011, 5:10 pm #1

My friend who had staggered cycle IVF and CGH testing with Dr. Ahlering lost the pregnancy. I'm absolutely devastated for her! Don't know all the details yet since we've only been texting...I told her to call when she feels like talking.

She and her DH had an ultrasound with Dr. A. on Thursday which would've been 5 weeks, 5 days. There were two sacs (they transferred two CGH normal embryos), but at least one was empty, and Dr. A. kept mentioning seeing something outside the uterus. She said the doctor suspected a heterotopic pregnancy and sent her for further b/w. Evidently, the bloodwork showed that the HCG levels were decreasing.

I was shocked that this would happen with normal embryos, but then I read on the SIRM message board that Dr. T. has seen this before and suspects that age has a bearing on embryo quality independent of chromosomal normality.

I've been in tears several times. This is the cruelest fate for my friend.

nadia80
nadia80

October 9th, 2011, 5:13 pm #2

so sorry for your friend. I dont know what to say..except Wishful thinking for next cycle:)

XoXo

Tanya
Tanya

October 9th, 2011, 10:33 pm #3

My friend who had staggered cycle IVF and CGH testing with Dr. Ahlering lost the pregnancy. I'm absolutely devastated for her! Don't know all the details yet since we've only been texting...I told her to call when she feels like talking.

She and her DH had an ultrasound with Dr. A. on Thursday which would've been 5 weeks, 5 days. There were two sacs (they transferred two CGH normal embryos), but at least one was empty, and Dr. A. kept mentioning seeing something outside the uterus. She said the doctor suspected a heterotopic pregnancy and sent her for further b/w. Evidently, the bloodwork showed that the HCG levels were decreasing.

I was shocked that this would happen with normal embryos, but then I read on the SIRM message board that Dr. T. has seen this before and suspects that age has a bearing on embryo quality independent of chromosomal normality.

My heart just sank when I read this. I am so sorry; what terrible news after having 2 normal embroy's. I wonder how often this occurs?

bigboy
bigboy

October 9th, 2011, 11:28 pm #4

i mean a lot of crappy stuff can happen even when first-rate embryos are transfered. that's why IVF can be so frustrating for some. - you get great embryos and not great results. i cant imagine how frustrating that would be. makes me mad.

that's awful and awfully unfair and im so sorry for your friend and sorry that she has to go through this. you sound like a very good friend and will be just what she needs to get through this. im sorry : ( i dont know what else to say except that it just sucks royally and i feel so bad for her.

October 10th, 2011, 12:01 am #5

You would think testing and only placing back normal embryos would prevent this heartache......and then it doesn't. My heart goes out to your friend. She did everything in her power to have a good outcome. I'm glad she has you to be there to support her through this difficult time. I will be sending comforting thoughts and prayers to her.

xoxo, Tracy

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

October 10th, 2011, 2:58 am #6

Urgh!! That is just terrible...and seems very unfair given that she had two CGH normal embies. I guess the good news is that she did get pregnant and she did make normals. Hopefully she can try again.

Alli
Alli

October 10th, 2011, 2:46 pm #7

Just shows there is so much to the equation that is still unknown. If I were her and had the finances, I'd try 1 more time.

Anonymous
Anonymous

October 10th, 2011, 3:14 pm #8

(not so much losing CGH tested embryos, but losses where the testing afterward showed a normal-chromosome fetus). Everyone is very shocked when it happens, and it does kick the RE into high gear to finally test the woman for everything.

Some of the issues that have come to light and then corrected are hidden fibroids, leaky tubes, uterine obstructions that were deemed "fine" before the loss. Other issues uncovered are certain gene mutations that may lead to blood clotting during pregnancy, then treated, or trouble absorbing folic acid due to a common gene mutation. More controversial is testing for immune system "killer cells" and treating for that. It's all so hard. In many cases the women never needed DE and can go back to OE once the other problems are addressed.

Maybe she has had some of these tests, but almost no RE does them all or believes they are important (until there is a tragedy).

AJ
AJ

October 10th, 2011, 8:37 pm #9

I'm so sorry for them:(.

Anonymous
Anonymous

October 12th, 2011, 10:13 pm #10

Since it is your friend and not you I wanted to pass on a warning that CGH might really have some problems - same as PGD there is a risk of error, misdiagnosing a normal embryo as abnormal and discarding it, or vice-versa. Also it seems that like in PGD the process of tampering itself could pose its own risks. This is a very sad story, I am sorry to read it and I hope you consider how to explain to your friend the possible problems with CGH, if she considers going through this process again.