update - BLAST

update - BLAST

sarita
sarita

June 11th, 2011, 3:16 pm #1

Just got the call that my transfer is being put off to Monday to blast stage! So unless anything terrible happens at the babysitters my 2WW starts Monday. Actually, I think my clinic tests at 11 days so maybe it will be less. In the meantime I didn't sleep at all last night because those progesterone shots are painful!!!!! I finally ended up falling asleep on a heating pad.

June 11th, 2011, 3:26 pm #2

How many of the little guys made it to day 3? Did you get any info about quality of the embies?
Going to day 5 is a very good sign! If you get 2 healthy day 5 blasts, your chances of getting pg go up to around 70%, so long as your lining is good.

Congrats...this is excellent news!

Sara H.
Sara H.

June 11th, 2011, 3:33 pm #3

Just got the call that my transfer is being put off to Monday to blast stage! So unless anything terrible happens at the babysitters my 2WW starts Monday. Actually, I think my clinic tests at 11 days so maybe it will be less. In the meantime I didn't sleep at all last night because those progesterone shots are painful!!!!! I finally ended up falling asleep on a heating pad.
And, there are tricks to help the shots!

Did you warm the solution first? This can really help!

1) Pull the correct amount out of the vile.
2) put the cap back on the syringe.
3) place the CAPPED syringe onto a heating pad, on LOW, just long enough to bring it up to body temp. This should only take a few minutes... like 2!

Also, check with your Dr's but try other spots. I know some people feel the leg is easier, since you don't sleep on your leg!

Also, I believe the 2WW starts when the fertilization starts, so you are already ticking down days! Hang in there, DON'T let it drive you nuts! (I know, soo much easier said than done!)

I know other ladies will have more suggestions to help with the shots!
Good luck, it sounds like all is going very well!

sarita
sarita

June 11th, 2011, 3:45 pm #4

How many of the little guys made it to day 3? Did you get any info about quality of the embies?
Going to day 5 is a very good sign! If you get 2 healthy day 5 blasts, your chances of getting pg go up to around 70%, so long as your lining is good.

Congrats...this is excellent news!
So frustrating!!! I really want to know how many are left. I'm guessing there are at least 5-6 otherwise I don't think they would have wanted to wait until Monday. I"m planning on doing a SET which makes me a little nervous but I finally got some stats from SART and CD after writing an open letter to the SART leadership. For women under 35 SET live birth success is 50% and multiple transfer is 56%. I do want that extra 6% but my chances of twins goes up to 40% if I do two and I just can't wrap my head around that. I'm also a little more willing to let go of that 6% if I have at least one to freeze so that's really where I'm concentrating my hope now. These decisions are so hard!!!

sarita
sarita

June 11th, 2011, 3:46 pm #5

And, there are tricks to help the shots!

Did you warm the solution first? This can really help!

1) Pull the correct amount out of the vile.
2) put the cap back on the syringe.
3) place the CAPPED syringe onto a heating pad, on LOW, just long enough to bring it up to body temp. This should only take a few minutes... like 2!

Also, check with your Dr's but try other spots. I know some people feel the leg is easier, since you don't sleep on your leg!

Also, I believe the 2WW starts when the fertilization starts, so you are already ticking down days! Hang in there, DON'T let it drive you nuts! (I know, soo much easier said than done!)

I know other ladies will have more suggestions to help with the shots!
Good luck, it sounds like all is going very well!
I am doing that tonight! I may even ask my dr if I can switch to doing it in the morning because I feel like moving around would make it easier.

Sara H
Sara H

June 11th, 2011, 11:58 pm #6

personally I get more soar later... so it would be worse, personally, to wait. On the other hand, it could work for you, try it once and see! Some people say a heating pad on the spot after the shot, to help circulation move stuff around, really helps, too! But ONLY after, before will make it more painful!

There is a great video on Youtube about doing a shot, TOTALLY IGNORE THE MUSIC, I'd actually turn the sound off, but the video is very helpful! (She does forget to check for blood but other than that it's great.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4M8iCq8zDU

Good luck!
Sara H.

sarita
sarita

June 12th, 2011, 3:08 am #7

Ugh! DH is working 'till 5am probably and I may have to tackle this one myself. I really, really don't want to do it but that video is helpful. Do you use a 25 gauge instead of the 22? I bet if the oil is slightly warm it definitely would work with the smaller needle.

Sara H
Sara H

June 12th, 2011, 1:22 pm #8

I bet you did fine!

Yes, you can use a 25 IF you are relatively thin and you know that the shorter needle will go though the skin all the way to the muscle, or find a spot where the skin is thin. Recently I had to do an inter-muscular shot and I did it in the arm, which was MUCH easier for me, then OK'ed by a Cooper nurse. (DH helping is NOT and option, he will pass out, bless him! Oddly, I actually rather do it myself... somehting about being in control of the pain, I guess!)

I hope it went OK!

sarita
sarita

June 12th, 2011, 8:36 pm #9

Well, I did it myself but there was blood in the syringe after so I think I may have nicked a vein. I forgot to pull back until it was already halfway in and then I pulled back a little but I couldn't really see. Oh well, it actually was a little less painful then when my husband does it but I think it was because I did the heating pad trick and I held the beveled side up. Thanks for all the advice. I can't believe I have to keep this routine up! But I also hope I have to.

Sara H.
Sara H.

June 12th, 2011, 9:43 pm #10

true, but it's a coin toss between this and the easier but MUCH messier vaginal inserts of progesterone... which is gooey all day, if you catch my meaning...

Once I use up my suppositories I might ask for shots now that I have done an inter-muscular and got though it OK.

Glad you got though it!
It'll get easier, you'll see!

Is tomorrow the big day????
Finger's crossed for you, post us about how it goes!

HUGS!
Sara H