single egg retrival AGAIN, should i do it??

single egg retrival AGAIN, should i do it??

Anna (waiting26)
Anna (waiting26)

September 27th, 2011, 9:03 pm #1

As many of you know my history, this is my 2nd IVF. the first one was high stim i made one egg, retrieved, didnt fertilized, all I could do was cry and cry .....

couldnt do IVF for 5 month after that cause either I had a cyst or a low AFC (well my AFC is 4 , but only one from left ovary always grows)

after 5 month of going to RE every other week finally was able to do another IVF. this time EPP with low stim, 300 gonal-F only, very different from first time. AGAIN after 14 days of stim i have one follicle on the left , where i have endometriosis and my RE thinks my tube wont be able to pick up the egg with this much amount of endo that I have. the retrieval will be this Friday. WTH should I do. Should I go for it or should I cancel go to check or Schoolcraft or Davis and hope for a better cycle or a miracle(I am in California, so coming o NY wont be easy but doable and expensive and I work full time..). I am going crazy , any advice???? If I cancel I probably have to pay a good $3000 cause the RE saw me almost every day for he past week and they will charge me for all that, if I dont cancel I pay $8500 for IVf +$2000 for ICSI cause I am doing that this time. If this IVf doesnt work the third IVf is freeeeee based on my clinic policy. My highest FSH was 28.

Advice please..

Quote
Share

AJ
AJ

September 27th, 2011, 9:43 pm #2

That's a tough question and a strong case could be made either way. But I have to wonder, if you qualified for the 3rd and free cycle, would you really want to stay with that RE? My initial thought is to cut your losses and find a new RE who is better suited to meet your needs. Put the money from this cycle toward consults and travel with someone else. At your age I really feel like you could find success with the right Dr..

And, if your RE is going to charge you for a full IVF with only one egg, I think he should do ICSI at no charge. I would ask about this if you decide to proceed.

This is such a hard decision to make and I'm so sorry that you have to. I'm keeping you in my thoughts.
Quote
Share

anna
anna

September 27th, 2011, 10:00 pm #3

That's a good point, but I am not sure if I can blame RE. I did two completly different protocol and still the same result. And I think he swollen charge the same for 1 egg. If I say any thing he would be like well he had to monitor me every day cause of my situTion.... I don't know WTH to do
Quote
Share

Emilie
Emilie

September 27th, 2011, 10:35 pm #4

Anna I know this is such an unspeakably difficult situation, I am so sorry, here is a financial question just to make sure we understand:

$7,500 would be the difference then? That is, you have to pay $3,000 anyhow and if you go through with it it's another $7,500 and then you get another try for free?

If you have gotten one egg both times then definitely it should be minimum stim IVF, is there any way your doc would agree to giving you two mini-stim cycles rather than one ivf for free? (probably not of course but this is what Zhang uses)

I just looked at New Hope Fertility and it's $8,400 for 3 cycle package - which would be low stim. Of course you would need to travel, miss work, etc. It would be very expensive on that level I'm sure. But still, it would offer 3 tries of low stim which might be better I DON'T KNOW. There is also the consultation you'd have to pay for...

Can you call New Hope & see if they recommend or work with anybody here in California? I know they work w/challenging cases because it's where Alexis Stewart went.

Quote
Share

Anna (waiting26)
Anna (waiting26)

September 27th, 2011, 11:44 pm #5

As many of you know my history, this is my 2nd IVF. the first one was high stim i made one egg, retrieved, didnt fertilized, all I could do was cry and cry .....

couldnt do IVF for 5 month after that cause either I had a cyst or a low AFC (well my AFC is 4 , but only one from left ovary always grows)

after 5 month of going to RE every other week finally was able to do another IVF. this time EPP with low stim, 300 gonal-F only, very different from first time. AGAIN after 14 days of stim i have one follicle on the left , where i have endometriosis and my RE thinks my tube wont be able to pick up the egg with this much amount of endo that I have. the retrieval will be this Friday. WTH should I do. Should I go for it or should I cancel go to check or Schoolcraft or Davis and hope for a better cycle or a miracle(I am in California, so coming o NY wont be easy but doable and expensive and I work full time..). I am going crazy , any advice???? If I cancel I probably have to pay a good $3000 cause the RE saw me almost every day for he past week and they will charge me for all that, if I dont cancel I pay $8500 for IVf +$2000 for ICSI cause I am doing that this time. If this IVf doesnt work the third IVf is freeeeee based on my clinic policy. My highest FSH was 28.

Advice please..
so he just called me and told me my E2 went from 400 to 300, we will go again tomorrow and will probably cancel the cycle if E2 doesnt go up. i am sad but not very much. if its not suppose to work its better not to do the f**ing IVF.
Quote
Share

lucy999
lucy999

September 27th, 2011, 11:51 pm #6

That's a good point, but I am not sure if I can blame RE. I did two completly different protocol and still the same result. And I think he swollen charge the same for 1 egg. If I say any thing he would be like well he had to monitor me every day cause of my situTion.... I don't know WTH to do
that is a lot of money for one cycle. Why not try new hope or cooper.. You can get 3 cycles for that price especially since you make just one follicle?
Quote
Share

lucy999
lucy999

September 27th, 2011, 11:52 pm #7

so he just called me and told me my E2 went from 400 to 300, we will go again tomorrow and will probably cancel the cycle if E2 doesnt go up. i am sad but not very much. if its not suppose to work its better not to do the f**ing IVF.
a lot. Usually my clinic goes from 150, once a day to 150 Iu twice a day.
Quote
Share

Anna (waiting26)
Anna (waiting26)

September 28th, 2011, 12:01 am #8

he didnt say any thing, i am scared to do some thing with out RE permission. I know some ladies here has done stuff on their own, but it just freaks me out. IDK why.
Quote
Share

jnoels
jnoels

September 28th, 2011, 12:34 am #9

As many of you know my history, this is my 2nd IVF. the first one was high stim i made one egg, retrieved, didnt fertilized, all I could do was cry and cry .....

couldnt do IVF for 5 month after that cause either I had a cyst or a low AFC (well my AFC is 4 , but only one from left ovary always grows)

after 5 month of going to RE every other week finally was able to do another IVF. this time EPP with low stim, 300 gonal-F only, very different from first time. AGAIN after 14 days of stim i have one follicle on the left , where i have endometriosis and my RE thinks my tube wont be able to pick up the egg with this much amount of endo that I have. the retrieval will be this Friday. WTH should I do. Should I go for it or should I cancel go to check or Schoolcraft or Davis and hope for a better cycle or a miracle(I am in California, so coming o NY wont be easy but doable and expensive and I work full time..). I am going crazy , any advice???? If I cancel I probably have to pay a good $3000 cause the RE saw me almost every day for he past week and they will charge me for all that, if I dont cancel I pay $8500 for IVf +$2000 for ICSI cause I am doing that this time. If this IVf doesnt work the third IVf is freeeeee based on my clinic policy. My highest FSH was 28.

Advice please..
I don't have any great insight for you, Anna. Hopefully you'll get information from your doc tomorrow that will help you make the decision clearer and easier. Just wanted you to know that I'm thinking about you. You'll know what decision feels right when it's time.

Keep us posted. Hugs.
Quote
Share

Sara H
Sara H

September 28th, 2011, 2:01 pm #10

As many of you know my history, this is my 2nd IVF. the first one was high stim i made one egg, retrieved, didnt fertilized, all I could do was cry and cry .....

couldnt do IVF for 5 month after that cause either I had a cyst or a low AFC (well my AFC is 4 , but only one from left ovary always grows)

after 5 month of going to RE every other week finally was able to do another IVF. this time EPP with low stim, 300 gonal-F only, very different from first time. AGAIN after 14 days of stim i have one follicle on the left , where i have endometriosis and my RE thinks my tube wont be able to pick up the egg with this much amount of endo that I have. the retrieval will be this Friday. WTH should I do. Should I go for it or should I cancel go to check or Schoolcraft or Davis and hope for a better cycle or a miracle(I am in California, so coming o NY wont be easy but doable and expensive and I work full time..). I am going crazy , any advice???? If I cancel I probably have to pay a good $3000 cause the RE saw me almost every day for he past week and they will charge me for all that, if I dont cancel I pay $8500 for IVf +$2000 for ICSI cause I am doing that this time. If this IVf doesnt work the third IVf is freeeeee based on my clinic policy. My highest FSH was 28.

Advice please..
I don't think I have a lot to add except this possibly...

Could you ask him what he might charge you to retrieve this one, fertilize it, see how it grows and bank it toward your next cycle? There is some tiny possibility there are two eggs there, which happens rarely, and if there are you could go ahead and if not bank this one for the next time?

The free cycle is so tempting. I'd also ask him how exactly he would change your protocol for the next one to get a different result. Is he open to other Dr.s protocols? Could your free cycle be an out of town cycle with Dr. Check running the protocol? (Or who ever you choose?) I know, crazy ideas but just tossing out possibilities.

I am so sorry you are going though this. It totally sucks. I have been there with the one follicle IVF and it stinks. For a while they thought there were two and DH and I were thrilled, but then they only saw one. (I can't remember what they thought the other was.) We were up against a wall so went though with it. (It was the last few weeks of our amazingly good insurance... I miss that insurance! )

Totally personally, with the info you have given, I am not sure I'd go on since money is a huge issue to us, but as others have said, you need to do what your heart tells you. As I always advise, chose that you are going to do it for a few hours. How does that feel? Now, change your mind for a few hours and say you are not. How does that feel. One should feel "right". Also, about money... yes, it's a lot, I totally get that! But, if you are both working, how long would it talk you to make it back? Will it matter in a few years? Are there things you could cut back on to make it up, so to speak? It's about $7,000, right? Is it worth $7,000 to you to see this though? Will you be at peace if you don't? On the other hand 7,000 is a whole IVE at another place so that makes up for the "lost" free one. (Well, add in travel and monitoring and all that but you know what I mean!)

All the best to you, I am so sorry you have to be making this choice, I know from being there it is the worst!
Love to you,
Sara H
Quote
Share