should i do the retrival in LA??

should i do the retrival in LA??

anna
anna

December 13th, 2011, 3:30 pm #1

First I want to ask every one not to get offended by this comment.
So now my question:
DH is sooooo concerned about cooper lab, he is stressing me out and Is saying let's do the retrieval in one of the LA clinic that has a very good lab. First I have to stay I ethically don't feel right doing this, I mean check did all the work and some one else will get the credit (if I get prg, I am day dreaming, I know) and the money. Also by follicles not growing fast it looks Like we r gonna be at NJ for Christmas, which makes things more expensive. Also I called the good lab clinic in LA and they said they will do and it cost $10000!!!!!!
I am so dresses out right now, I just woke up and DH is insisting to stay here..... Plus let's say I take the bullet and I do it here in LA, if things doesn't workout I have broken the bridge between me and the copper and the monitoring clinic, they will be like if ur staying in LA why don't u do retrieval with us?

Cooper IVF around $5000 with icsi + $2000 flight + one week hotel, car rental, food could cost me around $8000

LA retrival $10000

Also plz don't judge me, In fact I am not even sure if cooper lab is not good....no one knows really right?? Check is a smart man, he knows better right??? IDK

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 13th, 2011, 3:34 pm #2

BTW, this all came out because I have more folly than expected and DH thinks its magical chance and we have to give it our best

December 13th, 2011, 3:49 pm #3

So now my question:
DH is sooooo concerned about cooper lab, he is stressing me out and Is saying let's do the retrieval in one of the LA clinic that has a very good lab. First I have to stay I ethically don't feel right doing this, I mean check did all the work and some one else will get the credit (if I get prg, I am day dreaming, I know) and the money. Also by follicles not growing fast it looks Like we r gonna be at NJ for Christmas, which makes things more expensive. Also I called the good lab clinic in LA and they said they will do and it cost $10000!!!!!!
I am so dresses out right now, I just woke up and DH is insisting to stay here..... Plus let's say I take the bullet and I do it here in LA, if things doesn't workout I have broken the bridge between me and the copper and the monitoring clinic, they will be like if ur staying in LA why don't u do retrieval with us?

Cooper IVF around $5000 with icsi + $2000 flight + one week hotel, car rental, food could cost me around $8000

LA retrival $10000

Also plz don't judge me, In fact I am not even sure if cooper lab is not good....no one knows really right?? Check is a smart man, he knows better right??? IDK
hard decision. I too would feel ethically obligated to go to Coo.per, but I tend to think too much about these kinds of things. I think most would say it is your money and you go to where you want to spend the money. After seeing so many types of labs, I think Coo.per lab is OK, I wouldn't say they are the best. (And this is coming from someone that really likes Coo.per, but I have to be honest and say that there are better labs out there). On the other hand, it is cheaper and you maintain the relationship so you may want to go out there. Sorry, I don't think I helped you. I am just giving you my thoughts.

Erin
Erin

December 13th, 2011, 4:13 pm #4

So now my question:

LA retrival $10000

Hi anna- I don't know about your original question- that's a tough call. I just wanted to add that as a fellow REALLY slow stimmer, the follicles tend to start to grow quicker towards the end, and so the fact that you were at 14-15mm yesterday makes me think you could be going to ER very soon and it may very well be all over before Christmas. The return flight might still be expensive though since it will be relatively close to Christmas. In any case, I think you should do whatever you will regret least in the long term. Sounds like you're doing great though- congrats again!

b&a72
b&a72

December 13th, 2011, 4:21 pm #5

hard decision. I too would feel ethically obligated to go to Coo.per, but I tend to think too much about these kinds of things. I think most would say it is your money and you go to where you want to spend the money. After seeing so many types of labs, I think Coo.per lab is OK, I wouldn't say they are the best. (And this is coming from someone that really likes Coo.per, but I have to be honest and say that there are better labs out there). On the other hand, it is cheaper and you maintain the relationship so you may want to go out there. Sorry, I don't think I helped you. I am just giving you my thoughts.
the Cooper lab is just as good as any lab in the U.S. Look at it this way the clinic does over 207 cycles a year and maintains about a 50% live birth rate in your age group which is on par with some of the best clinics. Depite what people think it is the embryologist that does all the work as far as sperm prep, icsi, etc. The embryologists that do the icsi, and grading at Cooper are P.hd's so the qualifications are there. Look at the stats of the clinics you are comparing, to get a better idea and go from there. I can tell you from experience after going to SIRM, and a top notch clinic in my state that my embryos where of higher quality at Cooper then the other 2 labs and SIRM is considered to have one of the best labs in the U.S. Bottom line comes down to quality which the greatest lab in the world cannot fix because that is genetically determined. I agree Cooper is a Zoo but they know what they are doing as is seen on this forum where many women with 1 or 2 eggs have gotten pregnant from Cooper, I completley trust there lab but at the end of the day you have to do what you and DH feel comfortable with it is your money.

b&a72
b&a72

December 13th, 2011, 4:28 pm #6

Hi anna- I don't know about your original question- that's a tough call. I just wanted to add that as a fellow REALLY slow stimmer, the follicles tend to start to grow quicker towards the end, and so the fact that you were at 14-15mm yesterday makes me think you could be going to ER very soon and it may very well be all over before Christmas. The return flight might still be expensive though since it will be relatively close to Christmas. In any case, I think you should do whatever you will regret least in the long term. Sounds like you're doing great though- congrats again!
with Erin at 14-15mm you will probably trigger around Thursday for a Saturday retreival. 3 days later you will have a transfer which would be around the 20th then fly back on the 22nd. That would still put you home for Christmas. If retrival got pushed off one day that would still put you home before Christmas. Like Erin said toward the end they will pick up speed most grow 1-2mm a day.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

December 13th, 2011, 5:17 pm #7

So now my question:

LA retrival $10000

Cooper may not have the best lab in the world, but certainly they have a good one. I would ask myself what exactly will ANY lab be required to do in your case? It's my understanding that Cooper usually puts the embies back on Day 3. Certainly, Cooper is just as capable as anyone else out there to do ICSI and grow embies to Day 3. If you were thinking of going to Day 5..then I might say...try another lab if you are really concerned. If you are thinking of putting back only two of your embies and growing your third out to day 5 for a chance to get frosties...then I also might consider another lab. If not...Cooper will likely be just fine IMHO. What exactly will this lab in LA do that Cooper can't do? I think that is the question. If the answer is not much or anything...then you have to think about your costs and your relationships with Cooper and your monitoring lab. Good luck.

Bethpky
Bethpky

December 13th, 2011, 5:24 pm #8

So now my question:

LA retrival $10000

My friends went to Cooper in May and only had ONE embryo that made it to transfer. That one embryo, which was an 8 cell on Day 3, split and they're expecting identical twin girls in January. The mother was 37 years old at the time of transfer.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

December 13th, 2011, 5:25 pm #9

the Cooper lab is just as good as any lab in the U.S. Look at it this way the clinic does over 207 cycles a year and maintains about a 50% live birth rate in your age group which is on par with some of the best clinics. Depite what people think it is the embryologist that does all the work as far as sperm prep, icsi, etc. The embryologists that do the icsi, and grading at Cooper are P.hd's so the qualifications are there. Look at the stats of the clinics you are comparing, to get a better idea and go from there. I can tell you from experience after going to SIRM, and a top notch clinic in my state that my embryos where of higher quality at Cooper then the other 2 labs and SIRM is considered to have one of the best labs in the U.S. Bottom line comes down to quality which the greatest lab in the world cannot fix because that is genetically determined. I agree Cooper is a Zoo but they know what they are doing as is seen on this forum where many women with 1 or 2 eggs have gotten pregnant from Cooper, I completley trust there lab but at the end of the day you have to do what you and DH feel comfortable with it is your money.
Anna - Cooper's 2009 % of transfers from fresh oocytes, resulting in live births, for the under 35 group is 49.6%. Cornell's is 42.5%. Southern California Reproductive Center (this is where you are considering right?) is 52.5%.

Is that 2.9% enough of a difference to take off on Cooper?

I think you should ask DH what exactly are his concerns about the Cooper lab and then try to get on Dr. Check's callback a.s.a.p. and ask him the questions outright. If his callback it too backlogged then maybe just get on the phone with the RE on call. Or maybe see if you can speak to the embryology department.

The other thing to consider is that if you go to the LA clinic and the cycle ends in BFN, how will you feel towards DH? Will you feel worse than if you went to Cooper and got a BFN.

B.
B.

December 13th, 2011, 5:51 pm #10

So now my question:

LA retrival $10000

I don't think you will hurt your relationship with Cooper clinic because Dr. Check really cares about helping people - you can tell him it's the stress of traveling or something in a callback. That being said I think the lab is probably fine judging by success stories but for this I guess ask more people because i have no personal experience.

by the way I'm curious what lab in LA but understand if you don't want to say.

if it were not to work (I pray it does) then afterwards you can tell Check I should have gone to your lab where all the miracle stories are, next time no staying in Los Angeles for me. Do you think he'll really turn you away?