Shocking +HPT... not sure what to do about progesterone

Shocking +HPT... not sure what to do about progesterone

Anonymous for this post please

July 1st, 2012, 7:21 pm #1

Shock of my life... I got a + on a HPT yesterday at maximum 12DPO on a natural cycle. I had a + OPK last Monday so if I ovulated that day, which I don't think I did, yesterday would have been 12DPO at the most. Is this early? I used the early pregnancy test Target brand (the green and white Up & Up box). I went in this morning for a beta and progesterone check and it came back at beta: 48.6 and progesterone 8.5.

I don't know how accurate all of the info online is about betas, but if today was at most 13DPO and more likely 11 or 12 DPO, is 48.6 ok? I go in on Tuesday for a repeat and the nurse said they want it at 100. I thought it had to double every 3 days, not really every 2 days.

I asked them about P4 because I've been having pinkish (not all the time, but sometimes) CM since Wednesday. I assumed AF was coming. The nurse said I could if I wanted to, but an 8 something doesn't necessarily mean anything bad and adding P4 wouldn't necessarily save anything if anything had to be saved.

I have leftover Crinone at home. She said I could if I wanted to. Should I take 1 a day or 2? How would I know if it's working if Crinone doesn't show up in b/w? Then if RE wants me not to take it, even if beta is good, will I still have to take it for 10-12 weeks?

Lots of questions, I know. Head is spinning!

Jamie
Jamie

July 1st, 2012, 8:55 pm #2

Yeah, it would not hurt and could help to be on progesterone; my clinic wants to see it over 20. They should run your estradiol also; you may need support there as it is important for fetal development.

I don't know why your RE would not want you to take progesterone, but yeah, I'd take it immediately. I'm sure that someone will come along who knows Crinone better than I do.

Again, congratulations!

July 1st, 2012, 9:15 pm #3

Thank you for the congratulations!
Obviously, I need to be super cautious. We've never had a random BFP like this.

They've never run an estradiol test during beta/P4. Do you mean they should because the progesterone is low or just in general?

I now remember what the nurse said. She said that it only makes sense to take progesterone from the point of ovulation (like during IVF cycles), not after a BFP. I think my ob gyn gives it after a BFP is confirmed if progesterone is low, so that's why I asked her the question. Looks like they obviously have different points of view (RE vs gyno).

If I remember correctly, they want to see 10 on an unmedicated cycle, so I'm close, but I know it's still low.

If anyone has a Crinone recommendation, please let me know. In the meantime, I'll use one tonight.

Thanks!

Mrs. McIrish
Mrs. McIrish

July 2nd, 2012, 12:05 am #4

I would absolutely take the crinone. The nurse that said it is only for post-ovulation and not after a BFP is just wrong or doesn't deal with infertility at all. Congrats to you!

Anonymous just for this
Anonymous just for this

July 2nd, 2012, 12:12 am #5

I know, I was surprised about that. Actually, this was one of the nurses at my RE. This was a spontaneous BFP, so maybe she's never had to deal with that scenario.

Would you suggest taking 1 or 2 per day? I'm going to start tonight and will call them tomorrow. I'll probably get a different nurse on the line.

Thanks!

Houston
Houston

July 2nd, 2012, 12:15 am #6

Shock of my life... I got a + on a HPT yesterday at maximum 12DPO on a natural cycle. I had a + OPK last Monday so if I ovulated that day, which I don't think I did, yesterday would have been 12DPO at the most. Is this early? I used the early pregnancy test Target brand (the green and white Up & Up box). I went in this morning for a beta and progesterone check and it came back at beta: 48.6 and progesterone 8.5.

I don't know how accurate all of the info online is about betas, but if today was at most 13DPO and more likely 11 or 12 DPO, is 48.6 ok? I go in on Tuesday for a repeat and the nurse said they want it at 100. I thought it had to double every 3 days, not really every 2 days.

I asked them about P4 because I've been having pinkish (not all the time, but sometimes) CM since Wednesday. I assumed AF was coming. The nurse said I could if I wanted to, but an 8 something doesn't necessarily mean anything bad and adding P4 wouldn't necessarily save anything if anything had to be saved.

I have leftover Crinone at home. She said I could if I wanted to. Should I take 1 a day or 2? How would I know if it's working if Crinone doesn't show up in b/w? Then if RE wants me not to take it, even if beta is good, will I still have to take it for 10-12 weeks?

I would take the progesterone. Beta for 13dpo is great!

Jamie
Jamie

July 2nd, 2012, 12:25 am #7

Thank you for the congratulations!
Obviously, I need to be super cautious. We've never had a random BFP like this.

They've never run an estradiol test during beta/P4. Do you mean they should because the progesterone is low or just in general?

I now remember what the nurse said. She said that it only makes sense to take progesterone from the point of ovulation (like during IVF cycles), not after a BFP. I think my ob gyn gives it after a BFP is confirmed if progesterone is low, so that's why I asked her the question. Looks like they obviously have different points of view (RE vs gyno).

If I remember correctly, they want to see 10 on an unmedicated cycle, so I'm close, but I know it's still low.

If anyone has a Crinone recommendation, please let me know. In the meantime, I'll use one tonight.

Thanks!
But to me it's a no brainer to take progesterone. About the estradiol, two days after my day 5 IVF transfer (so around day 7) my clinic freaked when they saw mine (it was about 200) and had me take estradiol for several weeks after that. It just can't hurt to check it. I did have a healthy girl at the end.

I wouldn't worry so much about the tinged CM; that can just be the result of the embryo growing and the implantation.

What wonderful news--congratulations!!!

Mrs. McIrish
Mrs. McIrish

July 2nd, 2012, 12:35 am #8

I know, I was surprised about that. Actually, this was one of the nurses at my RE. This was a spontaneous BFP, so maybe she's never had to deal with that scenario.

Would you suggest taking 1 or 2 per day? I'm going to start tonight and will call them tomorrow. I'll probably get a different nurse on the line.

Thanks!
If it was me, I would take it in the am and at evening if I can't reach the doctor. Check's office up'd my p4 to 2 (200mg) p4 suppositories/day, plus 1 crinone AND a prometrium. My p4 had come back at 23 at 3days past ET and they upped the p4 bc they wanted it above 30.

Anonymous for this
Anonymous for this

July 2nd, 2012, 2:13 am #9

But to me it's a no brainer to take progesterone. About the estradiol, two days after my day 5 IVF transfer (so around day 7) my clinic freaked when they saw mine (it was about 200) and had me take estradiol for several weeks after that. It just can't hurt to check it. I did have a healthy girl at the end.

I wouldn't worry so much about the tinged CM; that can just be the result of the embryo growing and the implantation.

What wonderful news--congratulations!!!
Thank you and yes... I just cross posted... :) n/t

Julie
Julie

July 2nd, 2012, 3:02 am #10

The nurse said for natural pregnancy, the normal range is >9. When I had a natural pregnancy, my progesterone was 13 at 17dpt. My RE asked the nurse to put me on Crinone 8 for once a day. When I did IUI, the nurse told me to take Crinone twice a day.