Sex before transfer increases odds?

Sex before transfer increases odds?

Lauren1228
Lauren1228

July 8th, 2011, 4:18 am #1

Havent searched this at all yet, only hearsay from a fellow IVFer friend, but they go to Dallas SIRM with Dr Saleh who told them to have sex the night before transfer- apparently it increases odds due to the prostoglandins and somehow signals the uterus for implantation

Anyone else heard this? We are out of town for our egg retrieval so I havent searched this yet (posting this from phone). Our clinic advised no sex until fetal heart beat seen, nothing introduced into the uterus until then.

Thoughts? Complete crap or sound research on this one?

Lauren1228
Lauren1228

July 8th, 2011, 4:27 am #2

http://m.humrep.oxfordjournals.org/cont ... /2653.full

Abstract
Intercourse during an IVF cycle has the potential to improve pregnancy rates since exposure to semen is reported to promote embryo development and implantation in animals. Conversely, coitus-induced uterine contractions or introduction of infection may have a detrimental effect. A multicentre prospective randomized control trial was conducted to determine if intercourse during the peri-transfer period of an IVF cycle has any influence on pregnancy success. Participants undergoing thawed embryo transfer (Australian centre) or fresh embryo transfers (Spanish centres) were randomized either to abstain or to engage in vaginal intercourse around the time of embryo transfer. The transfer of 1343 embryos during 478 cycles of IVF resulted in 107 pregnancies (22.4%), with 125 viable embryos remaining by 68 weeks gestation. There was no significant difference between the intercourse and abstain groups in relation to the pregnancy rate (23.6 and 21.2% respectively), but the proportion of transferred embryos that were viable at 68 weeks was significantly higher in women exposed to semen compared to those who abstained (11.01 versus 7.69 viable embryos per 100 transferred embryos, P = 0.036, odds ratio 1.48, 95% confidence interval 1.01-2.19). Hence exposure to semen around the time of embryo transfer increases the likelihood of successful early embryo implantation and development.

http://www.ijfs.ir/library/upload/artic ... al%203.pdf

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 8th, 2011, 4:55 am #3

Havent searched this at all yet, only hearsay from a fellow IVFer friend, but they go to Dallas SIRM with Dr Saleh who told them to have sex the night before transfer- apparently it increases odds due to the prostoglandins and somehow signals the uterus for implantation

Anyone else heard this? We are out of town for our egg retrieval so I havent searched this yet (posting this from phone). Our clinic advised no sex until fetal heart beat seen, nothing introduced into the uterus until then.

The IVF nurses read you the orders for transfer day, and one of the items is to "have relations" the night before transfer. I wish I had the study on it or Dr Check's rationale for you to read, but yes it has something to do with a chemical in the semen possibly helping implantation.

summerwind03
summerwind03

July 8th, 2011, 12:50 pm #4

I've seen studies on this and thought it was worth a try (on natural cycles too).

Lauren1228
Lauren1228

July 8th, 2011, 2:32 pm #5

Then I'm probably going to break my docs instructions and do this!

July 8th, 2011, 2:39 pm #6

http://m.humrep.oxfordjournals.org/cont ... /2653.full

Abstract
Intercourse during an IVF cycle has the potential to improve pregnancy rates since exposure to semen is reported to promote embryo development and implantation in animals. Conversely, coitus-induced uterine contractions or introduction of infection may have a detrimental effect. A multicentre prospective randomized control trial was conducted to determine if intercourse during the peri-transfer period of an IVF cycle has any influence on pregnancy success. Participants undergoing thawed embryo transfer (Australian centre) or fresh embryo transfers (Spanish centres) were randomized either to abstain or to engage in vaginal intercourse around the time of embryo transfer. The transfer of 1343 embryos during 478 cycles of IVF resulted in 107 pregnancies (22.4%), with 125 viable embryos remaining by 68 weeks gestation. There was no significant difference between the intercourse and abstain groups in relation to the pregnancy rate (23.6 and 21.2% respectively), but the proportion of transferred embryos that were viable at 68 weeks was significantly higher in women exposed to semen compared to those who abstained (11.01 versus 7.69 viable embryos per 100 transferred embryos, P = 0.036, odds ratio 1.48, 95% confidence interval 1.01-2.19). Hence exposure to semen around the time of embryo transfer increases the likelihood of successful early embryo implantation and development.

http://www.ijfs.ir/library/upload/artic ... al%203.pdf
I was a bit scared bc of the ER but wasnt painful. We were successful. Our nurse at SIRM-STL said no firm evidence but couldnt hurt.
Me- 30
Day 3- FSH 10.4, E2 42; Day 10- 16.6; Possible endo, slight anti sperm antibodies
DH- 30, low Morph
TTC 23 Cycles
2 Cycles on Clomid- BFN
3 Cycles on Femara & IUI- BFN
Now- Natural plus antioxidants, Acu/Herbs till IVF when we're ready emotionally

Sara H
Sara H

July 8th, 2011, 2:57 pm #7

Then I'm probably going to break my docs instructions and do this!
I have never heard of such a thing! Very cool!

I bet it will help others as well!

Good Luck to you!
Sara H.