Repost of question about not having unprotected s-

Repost of question about not having unprotected s-

teresa
teresa

February 16th, 2012, 2:31 pm #1

I am reposting this to see if anyone can shed some light as to WHY my new RE would make this suggestion to DH and I. Just to let you know, my DH has super sperm, no issues whatso-ever. Dont mean to be a pain but I'm losing sleep over this- I have a callback next week but I thought someone who maybe was a C ooper patient Dr C heck patient could dissect? I really dont understand why he would tell us to hold off on unprotected sex til he knows my estradiol level is above 200, if my DH has no sperm issues.

Thanks!

'Each cycle I want you and DH to hold off on unprotected sex so we can make sure your estradiol level is above 200."

then he wrote this-

'Anyhow if you say what are you telling me, I am telling you that basically we can watch you with ultrasound and blood. What if you do not get to a mature follicle next cycle? Then you are not having sex.' (**this I didnt understand, he wrote this in the letter to DH and I)

he also wrote-

'But we will know the next time toward the end we will boost you with some FSH injections and then when we get to the right point have sex. So we might be letting you try next month or not, but the reason we are doing it this month, you already have sex, so we have to do something for this cycle whether you got to a mature follicle or not'

Does this make sense to you? I wrote it exactly as he wrote it to me, grammar/sentence structure, everything is as I read it.

I am SO confused...it sounds like he is saying- don't have unprotected sex until I say so- but WHY?

I was lucky and I will be able to speak to him next Thursday night. But I have re-read some of your old posts and I liked the tip you gave at some point, to schedule a callback with him at the end of a cycle and do it in advance. You have no idea how helpful that was, because from now on, I am going to do that so I can make sure I get him.

Cee
Cee

February 16th, 2012, 4:02 pm #2

I can't really speculate as to why he would say this. An E2 of 200 is what is usually indicative of a mature egg so that's the only thing I know. I don't know why it would be a bad thing though to have unprotected sex otherwise. Just make a list of things to ask him and be sure to put this on there and let us know what he says!

GL!

teresa
teresa

February 16th, 2012, 5:19 pm #3

Yes, Im going to ask him next week when he calls me, just was wondering if anyone else was ever told this in the meantime. Or maybe someone can suggest any questions I should be asking him regarding this because sometimes I don't know what to ask- everyone here has good ideas/thoughts.

Antonialisa
Antonialisa

February 17th, 2012, 12:56 am #4

I am reposting this to see if anyone can shed some light as to WHY my new RE would make this suggestion to DH and I. Just to let you know, my DH has super sperm, no issues whatso-ever. Dont mean to be a pain but I'm losing sleep over this- I have a callback next week but I thought someone who maybe was a C ooper patient Dr C heck patient could dissect? I really dont understand why he would tell us to hold off on unprotected sex til he knows my estradiol level is above 200, if my DH has no sperm issues.

Thanks!

'Each cycle I want you and DH to hold off on unprotected sex so we can make sure your estradiol level is above 200."

then he wrote this-

'Anyhow if you say what are you telling me, I am telling you that basically we can watch you with ultrasound and blood. What if you do not get to a mature follicle next cycle? Then you are not having sex.' (**this I didnt understand, he wrote this in the letter to DH and I)

he also wrote-

'But we will know the next time toward the end we will boost you with some FSH injections and then when we get to the right point have sex. So we might be letting you try next month or not, but the reason we are doing it this month, you already have sex, so we have to do something for this cycle whether you got to a mature follicle or not'

Does this make sense to you? I wrote it exactly as he wrote it to me, grammar/sentence structure, everything is as I read it.

I am SO confused...it sounds like he is saying- don't have unprotected sex until I say so- but WHY?

I was lucky and I will be able to speak to him next Thursday night. But I have re-read some of your old posts and I liked the tip you gave at some point, to schedule a callback with him at the end of a cycle and do it in advance. You have no idea how helpful that was, because from now on, I am going to do that so I can make sure I get him.

With a dictaphone. Then a typist types from a tape and sends it without it being looked over by Check. It could be that it was transcribed incorrectly. It is certainly incoherent.

Definitely ask him to explain it.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

February 17th, 2012, 5:45 am #5

Thanks!

then he wrote this-

he also wrote-

Not sure if anyone else had suggested it but I know I did. I'm a big "proponent" of doing that!

As to your question. Quite frankly, I don't know. But it sounds like he was very purposeful in his statement. When he made the statement did he have DH's SA and HOS results in hand? I think he may be making the recommendation to avoid DH releasing too much/too often before the all-important release. I can't say for sure though.

But something is obviously wanting him to wait until you have a mature egg. And wait...huh...do you know if you have a history of premature ovulation?? You have a history of 4 losses, right? Did he discuss with you what he thought was the cause of those losses? Did he mention he thought that maybe they were abnormal embies due to immature eggs??? So maybe it's not DH's sperm he's concerned with but your ovulation of a mature egg. In other words he wants to make sure you are fertilizing a mature egg and not take a chance in fertilizing an immature egg...

The more I write this the more I'm thinking this could be the angle he's coming from based on your 4 losses.

I'm sorry to dredge up bad memories but can you provide more info here on your losses?

teresa
teresa

February 17th, 2012, 11:33 am #6

I agree, he did sound very purposeful.

What you're saying makes sense.

My history-

This will be my first cycle of being monitored with b/w and u/s. I'm going for day 3 blood today and u/s as well (so embarrassed about this as I bleed HEAVY and never had the vag u/s during AF)

I've only used OPKs at the suggestion of my OB GYN. SHe told me to use the kit the same cycle that she tested my FSH and it came back 11.9. I DID get PG that cycle and miscarried. OPKs for me, they usually say + for 4-5 days. DH and I always start BD every other day starting day 7 then when we get the + we do 2x a day. Dr C heck didnt have DH's SA in hand. He barely looked at my records. Which sort of left a bad taste in my mouth because i DO have endometriosis, recurrent miscarriage and history of cysts (lets add now too, a fibroid) and these are thngs why coupled with my age- why I wonder if despite my history of getting PG, I should move to IVF.

As for my losses, they were all early, but I saw 3 heartbeats out of 4. With the first one, I didn't even know I was PG because I got a period, then I bled and wound up going to the ER myself after a massive hemhorrage and then they discovered I had a m/c. I was in a different relationship than I am now, and 27 years old. The last m/c this past summer, I never bled at all. I went into my D+C begging for one last ultrasound in hopes they made a mistake and could find a heartbeat. With that loss, we went in for 8 week 2 day U/S and this time there was no heartbeat. I was stunned, my betas were doubling, everything was perfect. I was under tremednous stress, my husband was attacked in our home, in front of me- and I wonder if this caused the loss. Because ironically, this happened on week 6 day 4 of the PG and when we went for the 8 week u/s, the dr said it was measuring 6 weeks 4 days. the same day of his attack. I will wonder all my life about that and if me being hysterical caused the loss.

He didnt discuss why he thought I had the losses...he kept saying about waiting to see if my estradiol was above 200 and if I released a mature egg...so you may be spot on with that. He also said "I think you need progesterone" but he didnt say why he thought that. AND- I feel bad to be wondering about this, but is this what he tells most women, that they need p4? Im not doubting he is great, but obviously I am worried about myself and the time ticking away. He also told me he thinks I have extra male hormone and I could have an ovulation disorder.

I'm praying this month being monitored will tell him more. He said he "thinks" I release an egg and he thinks I just need progesterone. He wrote this a few times in the letter. He did alot of "it could be" and then "but studies show not" stuff.

Thanks for reading this, I know it's long!!

smrc
smrc

February 17th, 2012, 12:44 pm #7

Thanks!

then he wrote this-

he also wrote-

I have sat through 3 appts with Dr. C.heck where he dictates his infamous letters, and I just can't figure out what he is saying to you here. I think Mrs. A has it right on what he was trying to convey on your side of things, but as for your DH, this just makes no sense. Even if you did have MF issues, aren't you supposed to "release" every 3 days or so? I have never heard any RE advocate to "save it up" more than 3 days (sorry to be so graphic!). I hope you get clarity on your callback, and you may want to call C.ooper ahead of your callback to make sure the letter is in your file, so that C.heck has it when you speak to him. My guess is that there was a transcription issue. Sorry you're going through this! SMRC p.s. do you think it's worth asking one of the nurses ahead of your callback? sorry if this was covered in one of the previous posts.

teresa
teresa

February 17th, 2012, 8:11 pm #8

I thought the SAME thing about 'releasing' yes!! OMG- thank you!!! Everything I read says have lots of sex and don't go too long without "releasing" because then the sperm is no good (sorry to be graphic here as well) :0

It's going to drive me NUTS if we have to hold off on BDing. I feel like every opp counts and we'd be losing chances to get PG. Then again, I'm paranoid if he thinks Im not releasing a good egg and this is the cause of my m/c's. VERY frustrating. I feel like I can't win.

I will try to ask the nurse who should be calling me back any minute. And I hope I dont get the snooty one because I'm in NO mood today for her, LOL. I had day 3 bloods and u/s today. The tech counted 4 follicles on the left 2 on the right and I just googled that and it sounds like that's very bad news?

And- the front desk nurse called me this morning and my callback with Check was pushed back 5 days because he is going to be lecturing!! And I'm going there next week for a saline sono but I wont be seeing him, I will be seeing Dr Bressile, she is doing the procedure. It's frustrating, I'm trying to stay calm and positive but I feel like screaming sometimes.
Thanks for writing to me!!

teresa
teresa

February 18th, 2012, 10:58 am #9

Not sure if anyone else had suggested it but I know I did. I'm a big "proponent" of doing that!

As to your question. Quite frankly, I don't know. But it sounds like he was very purposeful in his statement. When he made the statement did he have DH's SA and HOS results in hand? I think he may be making the recommendation to avoid DH releasing too much/too often before the all-important release. I can't say for sure though.

But something is obviously wanting him to wait until you have a mature egg. And wait...huh...do you know if you have a history of premature ovulation?? You have a history of 4 losses, right? Did he discuss with you what he thought was the cause of those losses? Did he mention he thought that maybe they were abnormal embies due to immature eggs??? So maybe it's not DH's sperm he's concerned with but your ovulation of a mature egg. In other words he wants to make sure you are fertilizing a mature egg and not take a chance in fertilizing an immature egg...

The more I write this the more I'm thinking this could be the angle he's coming from based on your 4 losses.

I'm sorry to dredge up bad memories but can you provide more info here on your losses?
I spoke to a nurse yesterday for my callback and presented the question to her and she told me exactly what you said...he is worried about me fertilizing an immature egg. Nothing to do with DH sperm at all. You hit it. You are GOOD!!
Hopefully we will get some answers this cycle.
Thank you for your insight with this.