New to high FSH

New to high FSH

June 24th, 2012, 2:46 pm #1

Hi ladies, just found this message board and have a few questions for you. We have been TTC for a year with no success, I am 29 years old and my husband is 33. I went for Cycle Day 3 bloodwork and my OB said my FSH is elevated at 10.5. She did not elaborate on what that meant, we are still waiting on my husbands SA. I googled it after we got off the phone and of course started to freak out and think it is a real possibility that we may not be able to have our own biological children. Those of you that have been around here for awhile and understand this better, would you say 10.5 is way to high for a 29 year old or am I over reacting? Thank you for your help and support!

Teresa
Teresa

June 24th, 2012, 3:20 pm #2

Welcome to the board!

I know getting told your FSH is elevated is very scary and alarming. I remember my diagnosis of 11.9 and my Dr telling me that it's not impossible, but that we may need some extra help (mind you, I was 38 when I received this diagnosis). I freaked out too.

Good news: I want to tell you that there absolutely IS hope for you to have your own biological child, lots of hope. Your age is a HUGE HUGE plus, so definitely feel good about that! There are many, many success stories on this board with women getting PG with higher FSH and multitudes of problems, so keep the faith!

Did your dr do any other tests? (Thyroid panel, etc)

I would definitely wait for your husbands SA to come back, but definitely stay very hopeful.

If you haven't already, start taking some really good multivitamins and if you smoke, definitely stop (husband too). Lots of women have had success with taking CoQ-10/ubiquinol, vitamin D3, Vitamin B's...so you may want to think about adding those to your daily regimen, they will only help. Write down all questions you have for your dr and the board here, which is an AMAZING source of knowledge and support, you're in the right place!

June 24th, 2012, 3:29 pm #3

Thanks for such a quick (and positive) response! Yes she did the total work up with blood, thyroid, etc and found everything looked good besides the FSH. She also did an ultrasound which she said looked normal. I am hoping we get the SA results tomorrow and find out what the next step is. Do they typically have you do another round of CD 3 bloodwork before discussing what to do next?

Houston
Houston

June 24th, 2012, 3:55 pm #4

Hi ladies, just found this message board and have a few questions for you. We have been TTC for a year with no success, I am 29 years old and my husband is 33. I went for Cycle Day 3 bloodwork and my OB said my FSH is elevated at 10.5. She did not elaborate on what that meant, we are still waiting on my husbands SA. I googled it after we got off the phone and of course started to freak out and think it is a real possibility that we may not be able to have our own biological children. Those of you that have been around here for awhile and understand this better, would you say 10.5 is way to high for a 29 year old or am I over reacting? Thank you for your help and support!
Your FSH is a little elevated for 29, but it isn't that bad. The quality of your eggs coorelates with your age. You may not respond to fertility meds quite as good as someone else your age but your quality should be really good at 29.

I would not repeat the cycle day 3 bloodwork. There really is no added benefit to doing so. I would move on quickly and be aggressive with fertility treatments. I wasted half a year doing IUIs after finding out my FSH was 10.5 when I was 31.

I would make sure you have a good re that specializes in poor responders.

I had success on my second IVF. I was 32 and my FSH tested 18 at that time.
So 10.5 is definitely not something that should prevent you from having kids.

I would also be careful about reading too much on the Internet about high FSH. A lot of the information is outdated. They have relatively recently figured out that high FSH does not mean a patients egg quality is bad but just reflects response. So a lot of the articles are inaccurate and overly grim.

Sorry this is so choppy. I don't have access to a computer right now so I can't really elaborate.

Laura
Laura

June 24th, 2012, 5:14 pm #5

Welcome to the board. Now that you have found this board, stop googling. The ladies here have much more practical knowledge of high FSH and treatments than anything else I have seen...even some Drs.

I'm glad your Dr did not really tell you what your high FSH meant. This is probably because she didn't really know, but I'm glad she didn't tell you that you were in menopause, like many OBs tend to do. First of all, 10.5 is only slightly elevated out of the normal range (10 is usually the cutoff for normal at most labs, but some will go up to 12), so while of course your OB gave you reason to worry, now you know that your situation is not dire. It's not great news, but all it means is that your ovaries are not responding as well to the normal level of hormone needed to recruit follicles to ovulate every month. It also means that even if you are ovulating regularly, your ovulated follicle might not be maturing normally, so even though the egg quality is fine, it may not be viable for fertilization when ovulated.

Just for comparison, the first time I had a real CD3 FSH done, it was 11. The next month it was 22. I was also 29. The 22 was my first cycle with an RE and all he said was, ok, take some estrogen (since mine was low and thus contributing to my high FSH), so I did and I got pg naturally that cycle. It ended with mc, but I got pg again naturally 2 cycles later without any help. I am currently 9 wks and everything looks good right now. So yes, there is plenty of hope for you. FSH can change from cycle to cycle so it is important to find a RE who is "high FSH-friendly". Since RE's can pick and choose patients, they sometimes don't help women like us, since we might lower their success stats. But if that happens to you, don't take it to mean you can't be helped, just move on to the next RE.

You said you had an ultrasound, did she tell you an AFC (antral follicle count)? AFC is a much better predictor of how well you will respond to treatment than FSH.

I hope this was helpful!!! You can also check out the "PG despite high FSH" board and see how much hope there is!

Jamie
Jamie

June 24th, 2012, 5:20 pm #6

Your FSH is REALLY not elevated. Trust me. 10 is considered *normal*, but you are just slightly above that. There are many, many of us on this board with FSHs far higher than yours who go on to have success. Mine was 20 and I had a healthy girl at 39 (a decade older than you!). There is a woman on here who had two kids after having an FSH over 100 . . . makes yours look pretty low, right?

You are an ideal candidate for IVF because you are so young; you have an excellent chance of success. Good luck!

June 24th, 2012, 5:55 pm #7

Your FSH is a little elevated for 29, but it isn't that bad. The quality of your eggs coorelates with your age. You may not respond to fertility meds quite as good as someone else your age but your quality should be really good at 29.

I would not repeat the cycle day 3 bloodwork. There really is no added benefit to doing so. I would move on quickly and be aggressive with fertility treatments. I wasted half a year doing IUIs after finding out my FSH was 10.5 when I was 31.

I would make sure you have a good re that specializes in poor responders.

I had success on my second IVF. I was 32 and my FSH tested 18 at that time.
So 10.5 is definitely not something that should prevent you from having kids.

I would also be careful about reading too much on the Internet about high FSH. A lot of the information is outdated. They have relatively recently figured out that high FSH does not mean a patients egg quality is bad but just reflects response. So a lot of the articles are inaccurate and overly grim.

Sorry this is so choppy. I don't have access to a computer right now so I can't really elaborate.
So glad to hear that it worked for you. Thanks for all of the great advice. I definitely have a lot to talk to my doctor about and should work on finding an RE!

June 24th, 2012, 5:59 pm #8

Welcome to the board. Now that you have found this board, stop googling. The ladies here have much more practical knowledge of high FSH and treatments than anything else I have seen...even some Drs.

I'm glad your Dr did not really tell you what your high FSH meant. This is probably because she didn't really know, but I'm glad she didn't tell you that you were in menopause, like many OBs tend to do. First of all, 10.5 is only slightly elevated out of the normal range (10 is usually the cutoff for normal at most labs, but some will go up to 12), so while of course your OB gave you reason to worry, now you know that your situation is not dire. It's not great news, but all it means is that your ovaries are not responding as well to the normal level of hormone needed to recruit follicles to ovulate every month. It also means that even if you are ovulating regularly, your ovulated follicle might not be maturing normally, so even though the egg quality is fine, it may not be viable for fertilization when ovulated.

Just for comparison, the first time I had a real CD3 FSH done, it was 11. The next month it was 22. I was also 29. The 22 was my first cycle with an RE and all he said was, ok, take some estrogen (since mine was low and thus contributing to my high FSH), so I did and I got pg naturally that cycle. It ended with mc, but I got pg again naturally 2 cycles later without any help. I am currently 9 wks and everything looks good right now. So yes, there is plenty of hope for you. FSH can change from cycle to cycle so it is important to find a RE who is "high FSH-friendly". Since RE's can pick and choose patients, they sometimes don't help women like us, since we might lower their success stats. But if that happens to you, don't take it to mean you can't be helped, just move on to the next RE.

You said you had an ultrasound, did she tell you an AFC (antral follicle count)? AFC is a much better predictor of how well you will respond to treatment than FSH.

I hope this was helpful!!! You can also check out the "PG despite high FSH" board and see how much hope there is!
So comforting to hear from someone who experienced this at my age! Everything I read is about people over 40 it seems like. I will definitely lay off the google and focus on finding a good RE. I have been freaking out all weekend and dying to be able to call my OB on Monday to figure out the next step! Congratulations on your pregnancy! Gives me hope:)

June 24th, 2012, 6:01 pm #9

Your FSH is REALLY not elevated. Trust me. 10 is considered *normal*, but you are just slightly above that. There are many, many of us on this board with FSHs far higher than yours who go on to have success. Mine was 20 and I had a healthy girl at 39 (a decade older than you!). There is a woman on here who had two kids after having an FSH over 100 . . . makes yours look pretty low, right?

You are an ideal candidate for IVF because you are so young; you have an excellent chance of success. Good luck!
Thanks for the reassurance. So glad I found this board!

June 24th, 2012, 6:32 pm #10

My FSH was 10.4 at 29, but my AFC was 2-5. Thats very different than someone with that FSH and an AFC of 10. Any high fsh friendly RE will tell you that age is the most important factor so you have that on your side.

The RE's wouldnt work with me here so I traveled to a SIRM RE. I conceived triplets with on an IVF cycle with 3 eggs retrieved.
Me- 30
Day 3- FSH 10.4, E2 42; Day 10- 16.6; Possible endo, slight anti sperm antibodies
DH- 30, low Morph
TTC 23 Cycles
2 Cycles on Clomid- BFN
3 Cycles on Femara & IUI- BFN
Now- Natural plus antioxidants, Acu/Herbs till IVF when we're ready emotionally