New to all of it; high FSH

New to all of it; high FSH

February 26th, 2011, 1:20 am #1

Dear all,
I welcome suggestions from the wise women on this board.
My partner and I just decided we wanted to conceive, and all of the sudden my period disappeared. I am 38. After 2 1/2 months of no period (but a neg. preg test) my doc ran a blood test and I have a very high FSH (66.5, and then 45 two weeks later: their lab range is anything over 40 = menopausal). I've had a regular period up to now. I was told that my chances of achieving pregnancy are very unlikely.
I have my first appt. with a OB/GYN on Tuesday, and I trying to figure out what is most important to ask at this point.

I should get an ultrasound, yes? Anything else?
Am I ever going to get my period back?

I'm feeling so discouraged right now. I've ordered some of the acupuncture/alt. healing books recommended by others.I had one round of acupuncture so far: anything I should be asking/telling my acupuncturist to help treat me?

Many thanks for some initial guidance before my appt.

February 26th, 2011, 3:06 am #2

Hey Aemily! Welcome! Honestly if you aren't getting your period it will be difficult to get an accurate fsh. The only time and fsh is meaningful is on day 2 or 3 of your period. I know that there are different medications that can help get your cycle back on track. Hopefully some of the other ladies will chime in on this!

KerriA
KerriA

February 26th, 2011, 3:27 am #3

Dear all,
I welcome suggestions from the wise women on this board.
My partner and I just decided we wanted to conceive, and all of the sudden my period disappeared. I am 38. After 2 1/2 months of no period (but a neg. preg test) my doc ran a blood test and I have a very high FSH (66.5, and then 45 two weeks later: their lab range is anything over 40 = menopausal). I've had a regular period up to now. I was told that my chances of achieving pregnancy are very unlikely.
I have my first appt. with a OB/GYN on Tuesday, and I trying to figure out what is most important to ask at this point.

I should get an ultrasound, yes? Anything else?
Am I ever going to get my period back?

I'm feeling so discouraged right now. I've ordered some of the acupuncture/alt. healing books recommended by others.I had one round of acupuncture so far: anything I should be asking/telling my acupuncturist to help treat me?

Many thanks for some initial guidance before my appt.

As Katie said, FSH is pretty meaningless unless taken on d2 or 3. Your doctor doesn't know what they are doing. Retake the test on the correct day of your cycle and go from there.
best of luck,
kerri

Emily
Emily

February 26th, 2011, 4:51 am #4

Thanks for the replies. It's helpful to start piecing this together. At this point, I have no idea when Day 3 of my cycle is, since my period isn't happening. But it still seems the high FSH is of concern, since some of what I've read says that whatever your highest FSH reading is, that is the indicator. And that pregnancy rates are 6% with menopausal FSH levels-- also that women w/these rates don't see much improvement even with IUI or IVF treatments. I know I have to wait 3 days to get some of my (doctor) answers, and I'm grateful to be able to talk some of this anxiety out through the forum. Thx!

February 26th, 2011, 5:42 am #5

Again, that's your highest FSH on day 2 or 3

MargieD
MargieD

February 26th, 2011, 11:17 am #6

Thanks for the replies. It's helpful to start piecing this together. At this point, I have no idea when Day 3 of my cycle is, since my period isn't happening. But it still seems the high FSH is of concern, since some of what I've read says that whatever your highest FSH reading is, that is the indicator. And that pregnancy rates are 6% with menopausal FSH levels-- also that women w/these rates don't see much improvement even with IUI or IVF treatments. I know I have to wait 3 days to get some of my (doctor) answers, and I'm grateful to be able to talk some of this anxiety out through the forum. Thx!
Did you check the referred journals?? There are many articles that will disagree with you there. In fact - there was a thread a few weeks / months ago about that. Maybe someone can find it for us. And lots of women have gotten success with high FSH numbers.

The important thing is to find a High FSH friendly RE. Many REs do not want to work with High FSH patients because it jeopardizes their pregnancy scores. (They don't like challenging cases!!) Don't know who your doctor is, but be ready to get another opinion. (I've gotten 4...)

Even if you are indeed menopausal - there are alternatives.

Do you think there might be other reasons why your period disappeared?

Don't make quick decisions. I've regretted that, but fortunately, I was able to "backtrace" and do what I really wanted to do...

February 26th, 2011, 9:19 pm #7

Hey Margie! This might be the thread you were talking about ( my first post!)http://www.network54.com/Forum/209394/t ... ch+I+found.

February 26th, 2011, 9:40 pm #8

I don't really have much to add except to sympathize

I have to agree, your Dr doesn't really know. If it's not a fertility Dr, then they will do an FSH reading any old time and declare perimenopause based on that number.

If you haven't had your AF (period) in 2 months, then you can ask to have a progesterone pill for 10 days to prompt an AF and then get a blood test done on day 3. Make sure the requisition asks for FSH and estrogen. Then ask to have a progesterone blood work done for days 26-28 assuming your next AF will be on time.

Meanwhile you can read up until your eyes dry up My own quest is done, I was lucky and now have two little miracles but I lurk here infrequently and just had to respond to your post.
One book that helped me was Taking Charge Of Your Fertility.
I did a few tricks that only helped me feel like I was doing something at least. My rule of thumb was try something for 3 cycles and then move on.
I bought the cheapest OPKs (ovulation predictor kit) at saveontests.com and did them daily. In fact, doing them daily and all day long during the follicular phase helped me to find that my surge disappears by afternoon, right when they say to start testing with the OPKs. So in my case, I test with second urine in the morning, not drinking water until then either. I guess I drink too much water and made the tests inaccurate too. This worked for me. They are cheap enough (50¢ each or so) that using them at every pee was easy.
I also did some TCM (traditional chinese medicine) I cooked up and drank the herbs my TCM Dr gave me, for 5 cycles (I know, broke my rule but what the heck) and this helped calm down my hormones--I didn't get blood tests but not getting AF or having it for a whole month got me running to the TCM Dr. I could see a difference that first month, better CM (cervical mucous) and on-time AFs.
I also swear by eating a grapefruit daily. Seriously. It helped me. HAs something to do with estrogen and how the body processes it or recognizes it. CAn't hurt, right? Unless you are on drugs that contraindicates eating grapefruit (like some cholesterol reducing meds)
and finally, I bought some Pre-seed, a sperm friendly lubricant. I used the lubricant meant to be inserted. Felt natural (much better than egg whites--I tried a lot of tricks, I tell you) and I didn't even tell DH because the egg whites totally grossed him out. lol

I don't know if you are overweight, I am and every time I do a low carb diet (basically eliminate sugars and grains but keep fruits and brown rice and good protein) I got pg. It's actually the best eating for my body type and brain since I am addicted to sugar.
I too missed AF for 2 months and got FSH tested by GP and it was 45. After 4mos of no AF, got the bw done again and it was 8 BUT my estrogen was close to 400. Despite that crazy high Estorgen, my GP declared that my FSH was normal. Goes to show you that GPs' general knowledge of fertility doesn't help those in our situation. My RE would have said (and has said) that high estorgen artificially lowers the FSH, it's still high.

I hope you all don't mind I sort of barged in I usually hang out on the playgroup bb but just had to chime in. I know how hard this all is, it can be so discouraging. When I think of all the years wasted on trying to prevent pg. lol
My ttc journey started when I was 29 with an FSH of 13, final count of 26 at age 33 and same at age 38 when I conc my second miracle.
Took me 4 yrs of ttc for my DS and 3yrs for my DD. Not ttc now. I am 42, we have two and most days I wish we were ttc#3 but my bio-clock is sayin' not going to happen.

Juliemam

MargieD
MargieD

February 27th, 2011, 1:16 am #9

Hey Margie! This might be the thread you were talking about ( my first post!)http://www.network54.com/Forum/209394/t ... ch+I+found.
I had forgotten that it was you who posted this!

Emily
Emily

February 27th, 2011, 8:37 pm #10

I don't really have much to add except to sympathize

I have to agree, your Dr doesn't really know. If it's not a fertility Dr, then they will do an FSH reading any old time and declare perimenopause based on that number.

If you haven't had your AF (period) in 2 months, then you can ask to have a progesterone pill for 10 days to prompt an AF and then get a blood test done on day 3. Make sure the requisition asks for FSH and estrogen. Then ask to have a progesterone blood work done for days 26-28 assuming your next AF will be on time.

Meanwhile you can read up until your eyes dry up My own quest is done, I was lucky and now have two little miracles but I lurk here infrequently and just had to respond to your post.
One book that helped me was Taking Charge Of Your Fertility.
I did a few tricks that only helped me feel like I was doing something at least. My rule of thumb was try something for 3 cycles and then move on.
I bought the cheapest OPKs (ovulation predictor kit) at saveontests.com and did them daily. In fact, doing them daily and all day long during the follicular phase helped me to find that my surge disappears by afternoon, right when they say to start testing with the OPKs. So in my case, I test with second urine in the morning, not drinking water until then either. I guess I drink too much water and made the tests inaccurate too. This worked for me. They are cheap enough (50¢ each or so) that using them at every pee was easy.
I also did some TCM (traditional chinese medicine) I cooked up and drank the herbs my TCM Dr gave me, for 5 cycles (I know, broke my rule but what the heck) and this helped calm down my hormones--I didn't get blood tests but not getting AF or having it for a whole month got me running to the TCM Dr. I could see a difference that first month, better CM (cervical mucous) and on-time AFs.
I also swear by eating a grapefruit daily. Seriously. It helped me. HAs something to do with estrogen and how the body processes it or recognizes it. CAn't hurt, right? Unless you are on drugs that contraindicates eating grapefruit (like some cholesterol reducing meds)
and finally, I bought some Pre-seed, a sperm friendly lubricant. I used the lubricant meant to be inserted. Felt natural (much better than egg whites--I tried a lot of tricks, I tell you) and I didn't even tell DH because the egg whites totally grossed him out. lol

I don't know if you are overweight, I am and every time I do a low carb diet (basically eliminate sugars and grains but keep fruits and brown rice and good protein) I got pg. It's actually the best eating for my body type and brain since I am addicted to sugar.
I too missed AF for 2 months and got FSH tested by GP and it was 45. After 4mos of no AF, got the bw done again and it was 8 BUT my estrogen was close to 400. Despite that crazy high Estorgen, my GP declared that my FSH was normal. Goes to show you that GPs' general knowledge of fertility doesn't help those in our situation. My RE would have said (and has said) that high estorgen artificially lowers the FSH, it's still high.

I hope you all don't mind I sort of barged in I usually hang out on the playgroup bb but just had to chime in. I know how hard this all is, it can be so discouraging. When I think of all the years wasted on trying to prevent pg. lol
My ttc journey started when I was 29 with an FSH of 13, final count of 26 at age 33 and same at age 38 when I conc my second miracle.
Took me 4 yrs of ttc for my DS and 3yrs for my DD. Not ttc now. I am 42, we have two and most days I wish we were ttc#3 but my bio-clock is sayin' not going to happen.

Juliemam
Thanks for weighing in. I appreciate all the book/nutrition/doc suggestions.
I now have a giant list of questions for my first appt. with the OB/Gyn.
I'm bracing myself for the discouragement that I'm likely to encounter.
It definitely makes sense to try the progest pill to prompt my period, then get another blood test (and the estrogen levels). I will also ask about an ultrasound, and probably a consult with the fertility doc they have at this clinic. I just found out my mom had endrom. (resulting in an early hysterectomy), which I should be checked for as well.
In the meantime, I'll keep w/the acupuncture and read up. I'm charting my temps, mucus, and cervix position and may check out the ov tests you mentioned.
This is all much appreciated!!