Need high fsh doctor in Texas

Need high fsh doctor in Texas

May 8th, 2012, 1:14 am #1

Hi Everyone,
Need help. Nearly 36 yrs old with 31.8 fsh, 28 estradiol, .16 AMH, 5 follicle counts. Needing polyps and Hydrosalpinx to be removed. Previously lost left ovary due to a dermoid. Been to 2nd RE in San Antonio who has no experience in cases like mine and gives a 1% chance of successful IVF. Feel like its not the end of the road yet since I want to try a cycle with my eggs. Any recommendations on who to see in Texas? I got an appointment today with Dr. Choung in Houston but unsure about his practice. Please give advice if you can. Thanks for your time.

Jamie
Jamie

May 8th, 2012, 1:18 pm #2

I would highly, highly recommend Dr. Jimmy Gill of Houston Fertility Institute. He helped me have my daughter at age 39 after not being able to succeed with three previous REs, including CCRM and Dr. Check. His lab is excellent and he has a common sense approach. Last year he told someone on this board that he had pregnant patients (with own eggs) who had high FSHs of 40 and 60. He was not at all phased by my high FSH of 21.

Dr. Chuong does NOT have a good reputation. That is just the reality. I wouldn't even go there. There have been reports on this board of very unethical behavior, including using less anesthesia than is required to save money. He also botched the egg retrieval so badly of a friend of mine that she could have bled to death and lost her ovary. Please don't go there.

Another good RE in Houston is Dr. George Grunert, but I don't think that he is as high FSH friendly as Dr. Gill. I would start with Dr. Gill first.

Houston
Houston

May 8th, 2012, 2:32 pm #3

Hi Everyone,
Need help. Nearly 36 yrs old with 31.8 fsh, 28 estradiol, .16 AMH, 5 follicle counts. Needing polyps and Hydrosalpinx to be removed. Previously lost left ovary due to a dermoid. Been to 2nd RE in San Antonio who has no experience in cases like mine and gives a 1% chance of successful IVF. Feel like its not the end of the road yet since I want to try a cycle with my eggs. Any recommendations on who to see in Texas? I got an appointment today with Dr. Choung in Houston but unsure about his practice. Please give advice if you can. Thanks for your time.
I completely agree with Jamie. Go to Dr. Gill. His practice is great. They are also very affordable in comparison to other docs of their same credentials. I also heard that Dr. Griffith is a great doctor from a nurse in Dr. Gill's practice. Dr. Griffith is also with Houston Fertility Institute. Dr. Gill would probably also be willing to consult with you over the phone if necessary so you don't have to travel all of the way here. I have found him to be very accessible.

I personally haven't cycled with Gill yet, other than an IUI. However, I have done lots of blood work, ultrasounds, etc. I also meet with him. I'm 35 with an FSH of 32. He didn't even flinch. He is willing to cycle me as much as I want. He also suggests the protocols that he thinks will be best for you, but is willing to go with a protocol that you like that you have read about somewhere else (for instance, I mentioned a low stim IVF and he said he would definetely try it if I would like). I think he is great. He is very understanding about high FSH b/c his own wife had high FSH. She ended up having two kids. He was honest with me and said I would have better success with donor eggs (like I think all docs probably should say just so I'm aware), however, he did not push me in that direction in the least.

I am cycling with Cornell first (Dr. Davis is supposed to be great with high FSH patients). I chose him first primarily because his lab closes when I would have needed to go to NY if I went with Dr. Gill first. Dr. Gill is doing my out of town monitoring. I did not respond the first attempt as planned. At first it was thought that I had two follicles, but one disappeared. Dr. Gill offered to let me do the retrieval in Houston. I think that is saying a lot b/c he knew I didn't have a great chance with only two follicles, but is still willing to take the chance on me so I didn't have to spend a ton of money going to NY. Even though this could negatively impact his statistics and I was cycling with another doctor at the time, he was willing to try just as long as my other doc did not care (he did not). I ended up having only one follicle, so did IUI instead, but I really appreciated the offer. Dr. Gill still has good stats at his clinic even though he treats the hardest patients (unlike Houston IVF who turned me away when my FSH was 18--their loss, I had success on my next cycle with CCRM).

Please don't use Houston IVF. They are horrific. There are some other post on this board from me if you want more information on why I dislike them so much. It is really just too long to retype.

If you want to travel, I like CCRM (although a lot of high FSH patients don't) and Cornell (Dr. Davis). CCRM is much easier to coordinate for out of town monitoring than Cornell. They also didn't turn me away with an FSH of 32. They gave me the donor egg speech, but they are still willing to cycle me despite having two failed attempts their recently. I think their lab is excellent. I used Dr. Surrey and really liked him. I think he is more high FSH friendly than Schoolcraft from what I have heard, although I don't personally know this to be true.

Marti
Marti

May 8th, 2012, 4:02 pm #4

Hi Houston,
Thank you for your detailed response. I appreciate your candor. Unfortunately, Dr. Gill is no longer seeing new patients. I have a morning appointment with Dr. Heard and am considering getting an afternoon appointment with Dr. Griffith. I know it may seem a little absurd, but nothing has felt normal in this process and I want to make sure I am aware of all my options. I wish you the best on your next cycle!

Marti
Marti

May 8th, 2012, 4:14 pm #5

I would highly, highly recommend Dr. Jimmy Gill of Houston Fertility Institute. He helped me have my daughter at age 39 after not being able to succeed with three previous REs, including CCRM and Dr. Check. His lab is excellent and he has a common sense approach. Last year he told someone on this board that he had pregnant patients (with own eggs) who had high FSHs of 40 and 60. He was not at all phased by my high FSH of 21.

Dr. Chuong does NOT have a good reputation. That is just the reality. I wouldn't even go there. There have been reports on this board of very unethical behavior, including using less anesthesia than is required to save money. He also botched the egg retrieval so badly of a friend of mine that she could have bled to death and lost her ovary. Please don't go there.

Another good RE in Houston is Dr. George Grunert, but I don't think that he is as high FSH friendly as Dr. Gill. I would start with Dr. Gill first.
Hi Jamie,
Thank you very much for your response. Your story is very inspiring. Right now, I need to focus on staying optimistic and you definitely helped with that goal Unfortunately, Dr. Gill is no longer accepting new patients. I am trying to get an appointment with Dr. Heard and/or Dr. Griffith. I am glad I had the foresight to keep researching Dr. C, your story frightens me. I am glad you are willing to share your knowledge.

Houston
Houston

May 8th, 2012, 4:33 pm #6

Hi Houston,
Thank you for your detailed response. I appreciate your candor. Unfortunately, Dr. Gill is no longer seeing new patients. I have a morning appointment with Dr. Heard and am considering getting an afternoon appointment with Dr. Griffith. I know it may seem a little absurd, but nothing has felt normal in this process and I want to make sure I am aware of all my options. I wish you the best on your next cycle!
You are welcome. I have also spoken with Dr. Heard. I really liked him as well, but I am not sure about the lab he uses. I don't think it is as good as HFI's. I used him for out of town monitoring a long time ago.

I would absolutely use Dr. Griffith if Dr. Gill isn't accepting anyone new. The nurse said such rave reviews about him I almost switched to him, but decided against it. He still uses the same lab and everything as Dr. Gill. She also said he is an expert at "EPP" and has far more experience with this protocol than other docs (if that is what you decide to use)

Marti
Marti

May 8th, 2012, 8:03 pm #7

Hi Houston,
I have felt so alone in this process even though I have been surrounded by supportive family and friends. Those feelings in and of itself makes me feel like a more broken individual. Reading through this website has made me feel connected to people who are in similar or more challenging situations. I thank you for making my day brighter by giving me infirmation to help me make my decision. I actually have an appointment set for a couple of weeks with Dr. Heard and Dr. Griffith. I want to be comfortable with whoever I select and think I need to meet both in person to be fully informed. I understand that sometimes the lab can make or break a successful ivf cycle so that is something that I will need to consider. I hope you continue to be well

Jamie
Jamie

May 8th, 2012, 8:40 pm #8

Hi Jamie,
Thank you very much for your response. Your story is very inspiring. Right now, I need to focus on staying optimistic and you definitely helped with that goal Unfortunately, Dr. Gill is no longer accepting new patients. I am trying to get an appointment with Dr. Heard and/or Dr. Griffith. I am glad I had the foresight to keep researching Dr. C, your story frightens me. I am glad you are willing to share your knowledge.
He is very nice and personable, and he's probably a great choice. Frankly, I'd go to anyone in that practice. They have a nice new young guy who I also met who does a lot of the surgeries there, so he'd probably do your surgery. I would feel comfortable trusting them to take good care of you, and their lab is excellent (which is HUGE for those of us who have few eggs).

Hang in there--sometimes we have to go through a lot of crap before we get our happy endings! At only 35, you have a LOT, repeat, LOT of hope.

Jamie
Jamie

May 8th, 2012, 8:43 pm #9

I completely agree with Jamie. Go to Dr. Gill. His practice is great. They are also very affordable in comparison to other docs of their same credentials. I also heard that Dr. Griffith is a great doctor from a nurse in Dr. Gill's practice. Dr. Griffith is also with Houston Fertility Institute. Dr. Gill would probably also be willing to consult with you over the phone if necessary so you don't have to travel all of the way here. I have found him to be very accessible.

I personally haven't cycled with Gill yet, other than an IUI. However, I have done lots of blood work, ultrasounds, etc. I also meet with him. I'm 35 with an FSH of 32. He didn't even flinch. He is willing to cycle me as much as I want. He also suggests the protocols that he thinks will be best for you, but is willing to go with a protocol that you like that you have read about somewhere else (for instance, I mentioned a low stim IVF and he said he would definetely try it if I would like). I think he is great. He is very understanding about high FSH b/c his own wife had high FSH. She ended up having two kids. He was honest with me and said I would have better success with donor eggs (like I think all docs probably should say just so I'm aware), however, he did not push me in that direction in the least.

I am cycling with Cornell first (Dr. Davis is supposed to be great with high FSH patients). I chose him first primarily because his lab closes when I would have needed to go to NY if I went with Dr. Gill first. Dr. Gill is doing my out of town monitoring. I did not respond the first attempt as planned. At first it was thought that I had two follicles, but one disappeared. Dr. Gill offered to let me do the retrieval in Houston. I think that is saying a lot b/c he knew I didn't have a great chance with only two follicles, but is still willing to take the chance on me so I didn't have to spend a ton of money going to NY. Even though this could negatively impact his statistics and I was cycling with another doctor at the time, he was willing to try just as long as my other doc did not care (he did not). I ended up having only one follicle, so did IUI instead, but I really appreciated the offer. Dr. Gill still has good stats at his clinic even though he treats the hardest patients (unlike Houston IVF who turned me away when my FSH was 18--their loss, I had success on my next cycle with CCRM).

Please don't use Houston IVF. They are horrific. There are some other post on this board from me if you want more information on why I dislike them so much. It is really just too long to retype.

If you want to travel, I like CCRM (although a lot of high FSH patients don't) and Cornell (Dr. Davis). CCRM is much easier to coordinate for out of town monitoring than Cornell. They also didn't turn me away with an FSH of 32. They gave me the donor egg speech, but they are still willing to cycle me despite having two failed attempts their recently. I think their lab is excellent. I used Dr. Surrey and really liked him. I think he is more high FSH friendly than Schoolcraft from what I have heard, although I don't personally know this to be true.
This reminded me of one of my favorite aspects of Dr. Gill--he LISTENS to what you know about your body and will collaborate with you to devise a protocol. In the past, protocols were always forced on me. With Dr. Gill, he suggested birth control pills to start. I said that I'm easily supressed and I don't want to, and then he said okay, no birth control pills. These conversations are incredibly rare with most REs since they think they are gods who know everything.

Jamie
Jamie

May 8th, 2012, 8:46 pm #10

Hi Jamie,
I've heard that he is very nice and has excellent bedside manner, but I don't think he does IVF at all (or maybe a few cases a year), and you need a place that is very, very experienced with it. Anyway, can't hurt to talk with him and find out. Good that you are meeting Dr. Griffith--he has a great reputation as well.