Mrs McIrish

Mrs McIrish

CW15
CW15

June 19th, 2012, 7:39 pm #1

Hey, how did it go Sunday? How are you doing?

Mrs. McIrish
Mrs. McIrish

June 19th, 2012, 8:10 pm #2

Thanks for checking on me. I was going to give a recap tomorrow after the ET but here goes. We surpringly got 3 eggs. 2 were from follies that were 13mm and 13.6mm and a 23mm. All 3 eggs fertilized. I got a call today to say that I have (2) that at 3 cells and (1) at 5 cells. Unfortunately, they are all badly fragmented. The 3 cells are a "C" and the 5 cell is a "D" (scale being A-D,with D being the worse, more than 50%). My embryos from IVF1 and 2 were also highly fragmented and we were hoping that it was from the high stims. Since this was a low stim, it looks like it didn't help and my eggs are just crappy. I am 38 with a highest recorded FSH of 24.3. I've done IVF 4 times and just don't see the point of doing this anymore. I think I am really ready to quit after seeing the quality of these embryos. I've never had one that even looked "Ok" or ever even had a c/p. We will transfer whatever we have tomorrow but I'm not expecting them to look good tomorrow and don't have any hope that they will result in a healthy pregnancy. It's just over in my opinion and I guess I will have to figure out how to live child-free. We can't afford DE or adoption.

Erin
Erin

June 19th, 2012, 8:40 pm #3

First of all, congratulations on getting 3 eggs and having 2 fertilize. I know you're focused on the fragmentation issues (and I suspect I would feel the same way) but I really do believe that number of cells at transfer has a lot more to do with success than does fragmentation. Ideally, of course we all want totally perfect embies, but it rarely works out like that and there are plenty of success stories from less than perfect looking embryos. It looks like you may have a 10-cell and a 6-cell tomorrow (assuming they continue to double in cell number). Those BOTH have a good, fighting chance. So, while I know you're tired and disheartened (and I don't blame you at all) I think there is cause for hope. In case you're interested, here's a thread I found on another site about people transferring fragmented embryos (check out the signatures of the posters and notice how many of them were successful- a lot!):

http://forums.fertilitycommunity.com/vi ... bryos.html

Thinking of you and hoping for the best!

Mrs. McIrish
Mrs. McIrish

June 19th, 2012, 9:01 pm #4

Thanks so much for the link. I appreciate it and seeing good turn outs does help. I have cried hysterically at all my prior ET's due to the quality and was hoping for one where I did not cry. We actually have 3 embies this time(not 2). I know it isn't over yet but it is hard to have hope as you know when nothing has ever looked "good".

Erin
Erin

June 19th, 2012, 9:18 pm #5

Sometimes nothing works until suddenly, something does. I went through 4 cycles w/o a single BFP ever. Then suddenly, it worked. It's not like you necessarily work your way up to it. Sometimes, against all odds, it just happens. I'll be hoping very much for you that one of those 3 (!) embies is the your sticky one. Keeping fingers and toes crossed for you Mrs. McIrish!

CW15
CW15

June 19th, 2012, 9:29 pm #6

Thanks for checking on me. I was going to give a recap tomorrow after the ET but here goes. We surpringly got 3 eggs. 2 were from follies that were 13mm and 13.6mm and a 23mm. All 3 eggs fertilized. I got a call today to say that I have (2) that at 3 cells and (1) at 5 cells. Unfortunately, they are all badly fragmented. The 3 cells are a "C" and the 5 cell is a "D" (scale being A-D,with D being the worse, more than 50%). My embryos from IVF1 and 2 were also highly fragmented and we were hoping that it was from the high stims. Since this was a low stim, it looks like it didn't help and my eggs are just crappy. I am 38 with a highest recorded FSH of 24.3. I've done IVF 4 times and just don't see the point of doing this anymore. I think I am really ready to quit after seeing the quality of these embryos. I've never had one that even looked "Ok" or ever even had a c/p. We will transfer whatever we have tomorrow but I'm not expecting them to look good tomorrow and don't have any hope that they will result in a healthy pregnancy. It's just over in my opinion and I guess I will have to figure out how to live child-free. We can't afford DE or adoption.
Great about the eggs retrieved, but sorry about the quality. But like Erin is saying there are so many success stories with low-quality embryos! Keep us updated tomorrow, I'll be thinking of you.

Mrs. McIrish
Mrs. McIrish

June 20th, 2012, 6:05 pm #7

Hey, how did it go Sunday? How are you doing?
Things only got worse since yesterday unfortunately. My 5 cell never grew and essentially arrested since it was still at 5 cells today. My 3 cells only grew to a 4 cell grade C and a 5cell grade D. (D being the worse you can get). I signed up for a call back the day after my beta just to see what C.heck has to say but we are done with treatment. There really is not point to try this anymore. I guess a family just isn't in the cards for us.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

June 20th, 2012, 6:12 pm #8

Thanks so much for the link. I appreciate it and seeing good turn outs does help. I have cried hysterically at all my prior ET's due to the quality and was hoping for one where I did not cry. We actually have 3 embies this time(not 2). I know it isn't over yet but it is hard to have hope as you know when nothing has ever looked "good".
Dr. Ch.eck has stats that show that # of cells really impacts success rates. And anything 6 cell or above has a really good chance.

That said, it is an absolute fact that ugly 4 cell embies have made beautiful babies. You just never know how that embie will flourish inside it's true home!

Good luck!

Erin
Erin

June 20th, 2012, 7:49 pm #9

Things only got worse since yesterday unfortunately. My 5 cell never grew and essentially arrested since it was still at 5 cells today. My 3 cells only grew to a 4 cell grade C and a 5cell grade D. (D being the worse you can get). I signed up for a call back the day after my beta just to see what C.heck has to say but we are done with treatment. There really is not point to try this anymore. I guess a family just isn't in the cards for us.
Oh, Mrs. McIrish. I'm heartbroken reading this. I'm so sorry you're going through this. I have no other words except sending lots of hugs. I will be crossing my fingers that one of the embies you transferred beats the odds. Thinking of you.

Nancy
Nancy

June 20th, 2012, 10:25 pm #10

Mrs. McIrish, I am so sorry to hear this, I feel heartbroken for you. I am really hoping and praying that you have success, I can imagine how you must feel...I would be feeling really sad too. But, there is always hope, there have been successes with fragmented embryos, we never know which will be the ones that make it. (Just the other day I posted a link to a post about some not-so-perfect and 1-cell embryos that made it, they were various grades) - I can't post the link right now, but look down in the forum it's from a few days aga). So there is always hope.

Be good to yourself, i am hoping for the best for you. I will be thinking of you and hoping you get good news this time.

Many hugs,
Nancy