List of Meds for 1st (Upcoming) IVF Experience

List of Meds for 1st (Upcoming) IVF Experience

March 17th, 2012, 8:27 pm #1

Hi everyone,

I am hoping to begin my first try with IVF at the end of the month. I was given this list of meds from the RN and wonder what anyone's thoughts are regarding this. I asked for low stims and hopefully that is what I am getting. Any input would be wonderful. Thanks so much!!

Estrace 2mg
Vivelle Dot 0.1 mg patch
Endometrin 100 mg
Zpack #1
Ovidrel 250 mcg SQ
Baby ASA
Gonal f Pen 450 IU
Menopur 75 IU SQ
Lupron MD 40 mcg
Ganirelix Acitate 250 mcg SQ

I have no idea what SQ stands for but hope that this list makes sense.

b&a72
b&a72

March 18th, 2012, 4:52 am #2

Looks like a low dose microdose lupron protocol with some estrogen priming. And the SQ stands for subcutaneous injection which is usually in the stomach about an inch or so away from the belly button.

March 18th, 2012, 5:00 pm #3

Thanks so much for your feedback. I'm glad to hear that it sounds low dose. Also, thanks for the SQ definition.

sophie
sophie

March 18th, 2012, 9:05 pm #4

Hi everyone,

I am hoping to begin my first try with IVF at the end of the month. I was given this list of meds from the RN and wonder what anyone's thoughts are regarding this. I asked for low stims and hopefully that is what I am getting. Any input would be wonderful. Thanks so much!!

Estrace 2mg
Vivelle Dot 0.1 mg patch
Endometrin 100 mg
Zpack #1
Ovidrel 250 mcg SQ
Baby ASA
Gonal f Pen 450 IU
Menopur 75 IU SQ
Lupron MD 40 mcg
Ganirelix Acitate 250 mcg SQ

I have no idea what SQ stands for but hope that this list makes sense.
You listed the following stim meds:

Gonal f Pen 450 IU
Menopur 75 IU SQ

I don't post much here but since no one else has commented (and you said you wanted low stims), this is a rather high dose-- a total of 525iu. Some women do great on high stims-- I did not. Low stims would be 75 - 225ish. Maybe you could give this a try and see if it works for you, and then if not, try a lower stim cycle.

Good luck!

Erin
Erin

March 18th, 2012, 10:23 pm #5

Brewersfan- I'm not sure if your RE is just giving you a list of the meds you will be receiving or the actual dosages you will be taking. For example, the Gonal-F comes in a few different multi-dose pens, one of which is 450iu. So, your dose could be 450iu a day, or they could just mean that you will be *receiving a 450iu pen*, from which you would use a portion each day for a lower stim cycle. Bottom line is that low stim usually involves a stim dose in the vicinity of 200iu/day (that's Menopur and Gonal-F combined) and maxed out stims are 600iu (some go even higher, but the official max dose is 600iu/day). Hope that isn't totally unclear and doesn't confuse you more... I would just ask your nurse/RE what your daily dose of Menopur and Gonal-F will be, and then you can figure out if they have you doing low or high stim. Good luck!

March 18th, 2012, 11:10 pm #6

Thanks Erin and Sophie for your responses. I looked over my list again and it seems as if I am receiving high stim amounts (e.g., looks as if there are 12 of those Gonal-F pens ordered that contain 450iu). I asked for low stim since many people have said that they did better when compared to high stims. I'm not sure if this would be something that can be changed since the meds have already been ordered and are being shipped on Thursday.

I will definitely ask the RN and RE.

Thanks again!

Erin
Erin

March 19th, 2012, 12:27 am #7

...So your dose should be able to be changed before you actually start stimming, assuming your doc was comfortable with and agreed to low stim (which it sounds like s/he did). Going through an IVF cycle is really emotionally and financially taxing, so IMO you need to make sure you're doing whatever you're most comfortable with for your protocol. Best of luck and hoping for a successful cycle!

March 19th, 2012, 12:39 am #8

Thank you for your response, Erin. The input from people like you helps to make this process easier.

Erin
Erin

March 19th, 2012, 1:28 am #9

I should add that some people do low stim with as low as 75iu of stims, but I don't know if I personally would go that low for my first cycle (this is your first cycle, right? Sorry, my memory can be dicey at times! ). Wishing you lots of luck!