Is there any hope?

Is there any hope?

June 20th, 2011, 3:49 am #1

I'm new to this forum and apologize in advance if everyone has "been there done that" with regard to this type of post! I'm 35 years old and learned of my high FSH about 3 years ago. At that time, I was still O'ing and having monthly cycles. However, since then, I no longer do either. My gyno prescribed provera to see if that would bring on AF but, it didn't. Does this mean that I am completely menopausal? I haven't had AF in almost a year now... I'm waiting on b/w results currently, however, what can they really tell if they aren't CD3 b/w results? And, how can I truly learn my FSH #'s when I no longer get my period? Lastly, is there anyway to bring on AF other than Provera? Or, am I grasping at straws? Sorry for the rambling... our insurance covers very limited (read little) testing and I'm trying to collect any info that I can. Thank you in advance for any help or insight that you can offer!

sarita
sarita

June 20th, 2011, 9:10 am #2

I think some other ladies more qualified than myself will chime in but what was your FSH when you found out three years ago? Did you have it tested more than once? Have you always had regular AF? Are you seeing an Reproductive Endocrinologist or only your gynecologist? If not, check to see if your insurance will cover an RE if you get a referral or sometimes it's just a matter of switching to a gyn who is also an RE so it's covered. If you're only 35 I'm sure there is hope! But you may need some testing to figure out exactly what is going on and you need someone who knows what to test for and when. If you were menopausal your FSH would be through the roof.

MargieD
MargieD

June 20th, 2011, 10:42 am #3

I'm new to this forum and apologize in advance if everyone has "been there done that" with regard to this type of post! I'm 35 years old and learned of my high FSH about 3 years ago. At that time, I was still O'ing and having monthly cycles. However, since then, I no longer do either. My gyno prescribed provera to see if that would bring on AF but, it didn't. Does this mean that I am completely menopausal? I haven't had AF in almost a year now... I'm waiting on b/w results currently, however, what can they really tell if they aren't CD3 b/w results? And, how can I truly learn my FSH #'s when I no longer get my period? Lastly, is there anyway to bring on AF other than Provera? Or, am I grasping at straws? Sorry for the rambling... our insurance covers very limited (read little) testing and I'm trying to collect any info that I can. Thank you in advance for any help or insight that you can offer!
I know someone who has had success with progesterone which can be bought at a natural health store. She did two weeks on and then two weeks off for about two months when it finally came. I think, also, she doubled the dose. (40 mg?)

You can find this out in Dr. Lee's book - "What doctors don't tell you about perimenopause" - I think that's the correct title.

Also - have you been tested for autoimmune diseases?? Check this link -http://www.network54.com/Forum/209394/t ... amp%3B+POF Getting a complete work-up would be very expensive.

June 20th, 2011, 12:46 pm #4

I am other poster's success (I think). I was diagnosed with high fsh at age 30 (had DD with RE #2 at age 32. FFwd to 35 (current age) and I too stopped having cycles. I went 9mos with out natural AF or O (that I know of). I honestly felt like I was in a vicious cycle loop. I am currently on RE#3 (Check at Cooper) and I read Dr. Lee's book mentioned below. I bought natural progesterone at Whole Foods and followed Lee's suggestion of re-creating my cycle with 2 weeks on/ 2 weeks off progesterone. My cycle came back (on it's own) after 2 rounds and that very next cycle I went on to have a 21mm follicle grow by CD18!

IMO when you go to see an RE, they evaluate your situation with a single snapshot. But you have the unique opportunity to live in your body so you need to take notes along the way. I do not think at age 35 you are in menopause. Peri - maybe - this can last many many years. But if you don't produce at egg every month, you won't release progesterone - very important in the "loop" of the cycle. I have read that progesterone is the first hormone to deplete - so do you need HRT (including estrogen)? Not sure. Will you be able to have 12 cycles a year again? Not likely but you can cycle a few times for sure!!

Update for me - that cycle with one egg did not result in conception and the following cycle my body did not produce an egg and was in shut down mode again. So I figure I can't cycle back to back either. Which was actually true w/ RE#2 when I was successful. So at CD14 I started the progesterone cream - and I am in the middle of that luteal phase. I am going for a mayan fertility message and hoping AF will come on her own when I stop the progesterone. I may take the next cycle "off" as well. It seemed I needed two cycles of down time before I produced that follicle. So perhaps I will get AF 4x a year instead of 12x. Again, I'll know more information after this cycle ends. Hope this makes sense!

June 20th, 2011, 12:46 pm #5

I know someone who has had success with progesterone which can be bought at a natural health store. She did two weeks on and then two weeks off for about two months when it finally came. I think, also, she doubled the dose. (40 mg?)

You can find this out in Dr. Lee's book - "What doctors don't tell you about perimenopause" - I think that's the correct title.

Also - have you been tested for autoimmune diseases?? Check this link -http://www.network54.com/Forum/209394/t ... amp%3B+POF Getting a complete work-up would be very expensive.
Thanks Margie!

KarenGH
KarenGH

June 20th, 2011, 1:12 pm #6

I am other poster's success (I think). I was diagnosed with high fsh at age 30 (had DD with RE #2 at age 32. FFwd to 35 (current age) and I too stopped having cycles. I went 9mos with out natural AF or O (that I know of). I honestly felt like I was in a vicious cycle loop. I am currently on RE#3 (Check at Cooper) and I read Dr. Lee's book mentioned below. I bought natural progesterone at Whole Foods and followed Lee's suggestion of re-creating my cycle with 2 weeks on/ 2 weeks off progesterone. My cycle came back (on it's own) after 2 rounds and that very next cycle I went on to have a 21mm follicle grow by CD18!

IMO when you go to see an RE, they evaluate your situation with a single snapshot. But you have the unique opportunity to live in your body so you need to take notes along the way. I do not think at age 35 you are in menopause. Peri - maybe - this can last many many years. But if you don't produce at egg every month, you won't release progesterone - very important in the "loop" of the cycle. I have read that progesterone is the first hormone to deplete - so do you need HRT (including estrogen)? Not sure. Will you be able to have 12 cycles a year again? Not likely but you can cycle a few times for sure!!

Update for me - that cycle with one egg did not result in conception and the following cycle my body did not produce an egg and was in shut down mode again. So I figure I can't cycle back to back either. Which was actually true w/ RE#2 when I was successful. So at CD14 I started the progesterone cream - and I am in the middle of that luteal phase. I am going for a mayan fertility message and hoping AF will come on her own when I stop the progesterone. I may take the next cycle "off" as well. It seemed I needed two cycles of down time before I produced that follicle. So perhaps I will get AF 4x a year instead of 12x. Again, I'll know more information after this cycle ends. Hope this makes sense!
I am curious to know what brand of progesterone you used.

Jainee
Jainee

June 20th, 2011, 1:34 pm #7

Hi I am going to be very straight and to the point cuz I don't want you to waste any time- and I have been there done that so I will not beat around the bush- its very important that you switch from a reg ob/gyn to an RE- reproductive Endocrinoligist (sp) who is familiar with DOR - diminished ovarian reserve and POF OR POE premature ovarian failure. It sounds like your body is slowing down a bit and it is still early enough not years and years of no period- to catch it.
There are High FSH friendly doctors out there- and that is where you need to go ASAP! You might need HRT depending on what your b/w levels are - you really need a good work up from an RE. And beware you might get the DE (donor egg) speech but you are still early days of not having AF so I think you can still one of your own eggs.
good luck to you
Jainee

MargieD
MargieD

June 20th, 2011, 1:39 pm #8

Thanks Margie!
But didn't know if it was okay to use your name.

I think it's worth repeating/sharing to others who are going through the same thing.

June 20th, 2011, 2:33 pm #9

I am curious to know what brand of progesterone you used.
Karen - I use Emerita by Progest - the single packets. I found mine at Whole Foods but read all the reviews on amazon. There is a list on Dr. Lee's website of suggested natural progesterone creams.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... IMBEPMCMAQ

I'll admit I was skeptical. I am with Dr. Check doing natural cycles but not every month. I tried it in hopes to keep things regular in between visits. The first month I tried it I did one packet a day (20mg) before bed. I did not get AF but following the suggestion I waited again another 14 days and started the progesterone again this time with 40mg. I got a regular AF flow 2 days after stopping and actually grew a follicle that cycle. I did use estinyl that cycle as well. However I had used estinyl previously on 2 very long cycles and I never grew a follicle. My instincts are telling me I need the progesterone every month to keep regular especially since I am not going to grow a follicle each time. Hope this helps.

KarenGH
KarenGH

June 20th, 2011, 3:33 pm #10

I appreciate the info and the explanation. I do find it interesting that if you look at the steroidogenesis diagrams, progesterone can be a precursor to make help make estrogen. So, I think there is some validity to the belief that progesterone can be important to help maintain the regularity of our cycles.