Introduction..Just got the news. (m/c? mentioned,POF)

Introduction..Just got the news. (m/c? mentioned,POF)

July 20th, 2012, 2:08 pm #1

Hello all. Welp. I just got my 2nd blood test back from Army doctors with a big fat FSH 75 at 32 yrs of age. He gave me the diagnosis of POF. The "good" news is that my ovaries look good with follies, so I may be able to save what little eggs I have left as long as I'm as aggressive as possible in making that happen or go DE or GC..otherwise I'll need to start HRT. He even used the term "cause you are going to start rapidly aging and getting all wrinkly (including hand gestures around the face)" Really, guy?! I don't care about my dang face..I care about being able to have a baby!

Needless to say, his bedside manner was atrocious AND he had an intern in there to witness the worst news I've ever heard in my life. Yes, I know things could always be worse..and I'm not throwing in the towel...but the thought of never holding a baby to my breast just devastates me.

I haven't had a period since Feb. and in March, they incorrectly gave me a positive HCG pregnancy blood test. SOOOO I waited 10 weeks to find out that I had no baby growing in there...Devastation...they did follow up blood work...said I could be possibly pregnant again...did another ultrasound weeks later...NO baby. WTF?!? All that time..I have been steadily (according to this doc) slipping into pre menopause with that horrible "failure" word included. So neither of the 2 FSH tests were taken at any specific cycle day..cause I'm not cycling. I went off BCP last year...didn't start until 4ths later..then stupidly went back on for a month...then off again..had normal periods for 2 months..than BAM! 2 periods in Jan. and one very light one at the end of Feb. then nada...

My TSH is low and all of my other levels are in the "normal" range. I go back next month to see if things have changed. I don't have my stats with me right now, but I'd be happy to post and see what you think. I'd truly appreciate your knowledge since I'm new to this.

So he referred me to a REI in Jacksonville, which is the closest with nearby family to stay with..So I can't wait to see the RE to run all the tests needed. Atlanta is do-able, as well. What are your RE recommendations?

I'm Active Duty so Tricare won't pay for ART. Is there any hope with FSH 74/75 and no periods? I know I was under a tremedous amount of stress when they told me I was " pregnant"..I was days away from deploying to Stan.

I since started Yoga. I don't drink or smoke. I have to work out. Found an TCM/acupunturist...just need to set up appt.

SORRY SO LONG!! I'm so glad I found this support forum.

I'm struggling, ladies.

July 20th, 2012, 2:53 pm #2

LoveNeverEnds,

I am fairly new to this so don't have much to say yet (in terms of advice) but there are some truly amazing, supportive women who post on this site.

That doctor sounds beyond atrocious! What a jerk! I'm sorry that you had to experience someone like him. The correlation between high FSH and getting wrinkles sounds ridiculous. I am experiencing an RE with a similar bedside manner and this always tends to come out when he has a med student with him.

You have found the right place by coming here.

Mrs. McIrish
Mrs. McIrish

July 20th, 2012, 3:29 pm #3

Hello all. Welp. I just got my 2nd blood test back from Army doctors with a big fat FSH 75 at 32 yrs of age. He gave me the diagnosis of POF. The "good" news is that my ovaries look good with follies, so I may be able to save what little eggs I have left as long as I'm as aggressive as possible in making that happen or go DE or GC..otherwise I'll need to start HRT. He even used the term "cause you are going to start rapidly aging and getting all wrinkly (including hand gestures around the face)" Really, guy?! I don't care about my dang face..I care about being able to have a baby!

Needless to say, his bedside manner was atrocious AND he had an intern in there to witness the worst news I've ever heard in my life. Yes, I know things could always be worse..and I'm not throwing in the towel...but the thought of never holding a baby to my breast just devastates me.

I haven't had a period since Feb. and in March, they incorrectly gave me a positive HCG pregnancy blood test. SOOOO I waited 10 weeks to find out that I had no baby growing in there...Devastation...they did follow up blood work...said I could be possibly pregnant again...did another ultrasound weeks later...NO baby. WTF?!? All that time..I have been steadily (according to this doc) slipping into pre menopause with that horrible "failure" word included. So neither of the 2 FSH tests were taken at any specific cycle day..cause I'm not cycling. I went off BCP last year...didn't start until 4ths later..then stupidly went back on for a month...then off again..had normal periods for 2 months..than BAM! 2 periods in Jan. and one very light one at the end of Feb. then nada...

My TSH is low and all of my other levels are in the "normal" range. I go back next month to see if things have changed. I don't have my stats with me right now, but I'd be happy to post and see what you think. I'd truly appreciate your knowledge since I'm new to this.

So he referred me to a REI in Jacksonville, which is the closest with nearby family to stay with..So I can't wait to see the RE to run all the tests needed. Atlanta is do-able, as well. What are your RE recommendations?

I'm Active Duty so Tricare won't pay for ART. Is there any hope with FSH 74/75 and no periods? I know I was under a tremedous amount of stress when they told me I was " pregnant"..I was days away from deploying to Stan.

I since started Yoga. I don't drink or smoke. I have to work out. Found an TCM/acupunturist...just need to set up appt.

I'm struggling, ladies.
I cannot believe how you were treated by this A$$hole doctor!! Unbelievable. I am very confused by the postive HCG as that is very odd. It doesn't sound like they have a clue about this stuff. You very well may not be POF. Especially if you ahve lots of follies on your ovaries! Can you take provera to bring on a period and then get CD3 b/w to see what your real FSH level is? Of course it was high since you haven't had a cycle. Hopefully someone else can chime in on who they would recomend you see. There is a dr in NJ that lots of see who specialized in POF and bringing women out of "menopause" to resume their cycles. I'm guessing it would be difficult for you to get to Dr. C.heck (C.ooper Hormonal Disorders) being active duty etc.

Laura
Laura

July 20th, 2012, 3:35 pm #4

I'm struggling, ladies.
I am so sorry for your whole ordeal. It is terrifying to get this news, and Drs usually don't do much to try to bring us hope. Is your FSH a CD3 level, or was it just taken because you haven't had AF in a while? The exact same thing happened to me; no AF for a few months, went to a Dr who tested my FSH and it was also in the 70s and I was told that I was in menopause at 29.

I quickly learned that your FSH doesn't mean anything unless it's taken between days 2-4 of your cycle. your fSH is the hormone that tells your body to recruit follicles to ovulate, so if you haven't been ovulating for months, of course it I going to be super high. If you ARE ovulating regularly but your fSH is still high, that means the number of eggs you have left is declining, but still doesn't mean you are days away from menopause.

It sounds like there are many factors that could delay your ovulation. Stress CAN be a big factor, and as a member of the military, you are under a lot of stress. Also, thyroid problems can affect ovulation. There are a few women here who have found success after controlling their thyroid. Proper thyroid levels are necessary for a healthy fetal development anyway. So I would definitely get that checked out.

Most importantly, this dr is a quack. Age rapidly?? Wrinkly?? From high FSH? no. My highest CD3 FSH was 22, I am currently 3 months pg, and I am not wrinkly. So don't lose hope. Find a dr who is not a quack who wants to treat your hormone levels to get your cycles back on track. Take a deep breath, it's going to be ok.

Erin
Erin

July 20th, 2012, 4:59 pm #5

I'm struggling, ladies.
First, welcome! You are definitely in the right place on this board and I'm sure you will find lots of useful advice as you move forward. Second, OMG what a d$ckh#ad of a doctor you have!!! I am so sorry for what you went through over those 10wks- I can't even imagine. And wrinkly?? What?!? That doesn't even make sense! Please run- don't walk- from this quack and don't look back! As the others have mentioned, I imagine your FSH was not a CD3 value (since you said you haven't had your period in months) so it really does not count. You need a really good, high-FSH friendly RE to look at why you aren't getting your periods and to find what the core issue is here and help you treat it. The really good news is that you have follicles- that means you have eggs- and you are 32yo, so those are 32yo eggs! VERY good news since high FSH does NOT affect egg quality (you may have heard that it does but newer research disproves this- your eggs are only as old as you are). Hopefully someone in/near your area will chime in with RE recommendations, but sometimes you do need to travel if you can (I did and it worked out for me, but I know it's not possible for everyone). Wishing you good luck and welcome again!

July 20th, 2012, 9:29 pm #6

I cannot believe how you were treated by this A$$hole doctor!! Unbelievable. I am very confused by the postive HCG as that is very odd. It doesn't sound like they have a clue about this stuff. You very well may not be POF. Especially if you ahve lots of follies on your ovaries! Can you take provera to bring on a period and then get CD3 b/w to see what your real FSH level is? Of course it was high since you haven't had a cycle. Hopefully someone else can chime in on who they would recomend you see. There is a dr in NJ that lots of see who specialized in POF and bringing women out of "menopause" to resume their cycles. I'm guessing it would be difficult for you to get to Dr. C.heck (C.ooper Hormonal Disorders) being active duty etc.
Apparently, and according to that doc, they (being numerous other nurses/midwives) read the HCG test incorrectly because it was always under 5 or just at 5. He said that I have a baseline HCG that runs between 2-5 normally or currently. So had I been referred to an actual OB/GYN from the start, maybe the whole pregnancy heartbreak/cruel joke would not have happened. Instead, I grieved the loss of a baby that was never there physically, just spiritually. My little spirit child.

That doc isn't going to put me on anything...which is good because I really don't think he understands the whole picture. The RE will hopefully know to put me on provera to get an accurate reading. The quack doc said that the more periods I have with a possible ovulation, the less eggs I'll have or that they will go to waste..and he doesn't quite know how many are left...*SIGH*

Yes, It would be difficult to get to that doctor, but not impossible. It's getting my DH to be willing to go that mile. He's younger than me and not as...urgent, if you will. Dr. Ch.eck in NJ? and C.ooper in TX, right?

July 20th, 2012, 9:34 pm #7

LoveNeverEnds,

I am fairly new to this so don't have much to say yet (in terms of advice) but there are some truly amazing, supportive women who post on this site.

That doctor sounds beyond atrocious! What a jerk! I'm sorry that you had to experience someone like him. The correlation between high FSH and getting wrinkles sounds ridiculous. I am experiencing an RE with a similar bedside manner and this always tends to come out when he has a med student with him.

You have found the right place by coming here.
He said that I'll rapidly age without HRT bc I'm rapidly going in to menopause...that I'll be more at risk for heart disease, prob get diabetes, etc...that he must saavvve my bones. I appreciate the concern, but geez. He made it sound like I'm going to fall apart in less than a year! He basically said to my DH and I that we need to make a decision NOW...try for babies or go HRT cause I (according to the doc) would not be able to get pregnant while on HRT. Is this true?

July 20th, 2012, 9:51 pm #8

I am so sorry for your whole ordeal. It is terrifying to get this news, and Drs usually don't do much to try to bring us hope. Is your FSH a CD3 level, or was it just taken because you haven't had AF in a while? The exact same thing happened to me; no AF for a few months, went to a Dr who tested my FSH and it was also in the 70s and I was told that I was in menopause at 29.

I quickly learned that your FSH doesn't mean anything unless it's taken between days 2-4 of your cycle. your fSH is the hormone that tells your body to recruit follicles to ovulate, so if you haven't been ovulating for months, of course it I going to be super high. If you ARE ovulating regularly but your fSH is still high, that means the number of eggs you have left is declining, but still doesn't mean you are days away from menopause.

It sounds like there are many factors that could delay your ovulation. Stress CAN be a big factor, and as a member of the military, you are under a lot of stress. Also, thyroid problems can affect ovulation. There are a few women here who have found success after controlling their thyroid. Proper thyroid levels are necessary for a healthy fetal development anyway. So I would definitely get that checked out.

Most importantly, this dr is a quack. Age rapidly?? Wrinkly?? From high FSH? no. My highest CD3 FSH was 22, I am currently 3 months pg, and I am not wrinkly. So don't lose hope. Find a dr who is not a quack who wants to treat your hormone levels to get your cycles back on track. Take a deep breath, it's going to be ok.
FSH was tested randomly..no cycle day or CD3..and only 2 weeks apart. I havent had AF since the end of Feb..and it was really light 3-4 day cycle.

I just know that Stress is doing its work on me. It's safe to say that it's been chronic since I joined the Army almost 2 years ago. We left for a month in Feb. so I was pseudo-deployed for a month only to find out that we were deploying 2 weeks after we got back home. THEN they said I wasn't going..then I was..then I wasn't..then yes..It was to be my 1st deployment, and I was pretty on edge. So I get the BFP.

Thereafter, I felt hot flashes, bloating, gas, fatigue, headaches, mild breast tenderness and swelling, no AF.
The 2nd "pregnancy" didn't really have hot flashes, just breast tenderness, uterus cramping, pulls and twinges...all seemed like preggo.

He says my TSH is low to indicate hyper..but I'm not losing weight, but gaining. The ultrasound showed normal. I have been suffering hair loss since last year..but I thought it was just stress or maybe my thyroid. I think my adrenals are fatigued..throwing off the thyroid.

I recently got on meds for High blood pressure...which shoots up when I get stressed. My DH is a challenge, as well...so he can stress me out, too. I'm getting it from all angles, really.

Thank you thank you thank you for saying that he is full of crap. This brings me so much hope.

July 20th, 2012, 9:57 pm #9

First, welcome! You are definitely in the right place on this board and I'm sure you will find lots of useful advice as you move forward. Second, OMG what a d$ckh#ad of a doctor you have!!! I am so sorry for what you went through over those 10wks- I can't even imagine. And wrinkly?? What?!? That doesn't even make sense! Please run- don't walk- from this quack and don't look back! As the others have mentioned, I imagine your FSH was not a CD3 value (since you said you haven't had your period in months) so it really does not count. You need a really good, high-FSH friendly RE to look at why you aren't getting your periods and to find what the core issue is here and help you treat it. The really good news is that you have follicles- that means you have eggs- and you are 32yo, so those are 32yo eggs! VERY good news since high FSH does NOT affect egg quality (you may have heard that it does but newer research disproves this- your eggs are only as old as you are). Hopefully someone in/near your area will chime in with RE recommendations, but sometimes you do need to travel if you can (I did and it worked out for me, but I know it's not possible for everyone). Wishing you good luck and welcome again!
Thank you for giving me the reassurance and hope I so desperately need. I can cope with this whole FSH, no AF thing a bit more positively if I know that there's a chance. I'm feeling very hopeful with my eggs. And I am getting EWCM, what's that about?

I'm fearful of the financial strain, however. My DH may not be prepared to go that distance quite yet, but we shall see.

Laura
Laura

July 21st, 2012, 12:48 am #10

That means your e2 is rising. You might even ovulate soon. The first time I had EWCM in 3 months of no AF, I got AF two weeks later.

So, next time you get AF, ask a Dr (a different one...) to test your FSH on CD3 (or 2 or 4 if the lab is closed on CD3). Then have it tested again for the next few cycles in a row. If it is not consistently going up each cycle, that means you are not in menopause or nearing it even. Women in menopause will have consistently high readings. Once AF came back, mine went up and down, and I got pg on a cycle with FSH=22.

I also had a Dr tell me that I "could try to get pg for another year, but if it doesn't happen I really need to go on HRT." I found a new Dr who did not jump to the conclusion that I was in menopause and waited several cycles. Then I got pg and she was like, "well, now we definitely know you're not in menopause!"