I'm a Check Chic now! (first appointment, LONG!)

I'm a Check Chic now! (first appointment, LONG!)

Sara H.
Sara H.

May 6th, 2011, 10:13 pm #1

OK, so I went!

First: Wow, thank you for the warnings about the decor! It was kind'a like walking into an office/Renaissance castle! It was... wow. And, what's up with the money sculpture near Dr. Check's office? WHAT? Also, DH had some choice things to add about the "gentleman's collection room" as he nicely put it! (I think he might be scarred!)Again, thank you for the warning and, yes, I did tell DH before we got there. It was a good call, thank you for the advice.

Second: As all of you have said, I could not care less as long as this works!

Third: Dr. Check. Well, as I write this my computer is resting on 25 different articles/case studies... his ability to keep talking while handing out paper work is amazing! I don't know how many are helpful to me but I have them... all. He glanced at my paperwork I brought, though nothing from my old RE, and seemed to have a clear idea in mind immediately. Since we know this is from long experience dealing with ladies in my same standings, both my DH and I felt very comfortable with that. He is a very interesting person and, as others have said, the first one I feel like is really interested in helping us 'get pregnant', not 'make money and see if they can get us pregnant', you know? He was very sensitive to our money issues and very kind about that. He was also, I think, very funny. We really liked him!

Fourth: What he said: By looking at my paperwork, mostly what I wrote on the sheet, and DH swimmers, he told me this: No need for IUI (YIPPEE!) or IVF (DOUBLE YIPPEE!) For me, he is most worried about my hormone imbalance and stopping my slide into menopause. He put me on fancy estrogen to lower my FSH (from Success meds across the parking lot!)and then do blood work to see where we are in a few days. He really seems to think, all in all, that when we balance out my hormones that everything should fall into place, possibly. This cycle has been bad, day 19, no ovulation and what looking like a empty follicle on the sono but must be a little cyst, given my blood work. So, he is hopeful that the estrogen will even things out and get me on the right track. Then, I will be firmly on the progesterone wagon for the 2WW. (Luckily, I already had that, thank you! Like so many of you he feels a luteal phase deficiency is largely at fault here. DE was mentioned but he seemed to think, if we were willing to give it some time, that we could do it with OE. (Plus, he said, with my age we had time for DE later, no need now unless we were in a huge rush.) He was also very cute with us! At one point, while dictating his letter to us (thank you for the warning on that, too!) he said: "I see they have been married 4 years, together for 15, still hold hands, which is lovely, and now want to disrupt that!" Hehehee, yes, please!

The Bad news: Yes, I was mid-odd-cycle but my FSH clocked in at 46! UGGG! 46! Still, he said, that "it doesn't have me shaking in my shoes, you won't make a case study with that number. I've seen worse." I told him I was happy to NOT be a case study, thank you! (Plus, I couldn't take any more paperwork!)

So, DH and I have decided that we will give this about 5 cycles and see where we are. Dr. Check is trying something no one else has with balancing out my hormones, so we will wait and see if it works. (But, if it just kicks these hot flashes like he said it would, win win!) If not we'll be moving onto other options.

All in all it was a great experience. I found the staff great, very helpful and very nice to me. Oh course, I was there after the 'morning rush', so that helps! (The only negative thing was a icky run-in with a lady in the waiting room who was obviously having a horrible day and chose to be passive-aggressive about it. I stopped myself from saying something equally nasty to her and just told myself she was obviously in a bad place emotionally.)

So: We are very glad we went. It was defiantly not 'more of the same old' so we are a bit hopeful about a new approach, though, honestly, I am trying to not build myself up too much. We'll just wait and see... with finger's crossed. I am very very glad, though, to not be putting my body though more invasive procedures. I was beginning to fell a bit abused, as I know we have all felt, and am glad to be done with that.

Thank you so much for all your advice and help, from answering my questions to all the old posts I read to get ready! It was so very helpful and comforting and, I think, by being prepared, I got a lot more out of what was said and what we were told.

And I only have one more question for now:
Seriously, what is up with that monkey sculpture????

Thanks!
Sara H., newest Check Chic!

May 7th, 2011, 2:02 am #2

Another Check success! Congrats Sara, it sounds very promising! I will be cheering for you!

May 7th, 2011, 4:49 am #3

OK, so I went!

First: Wow, thank you for the warnings about the decor! It was kind'a like walking into an office/Renaissance castle! It was... wow. And, what's up with the money sculpture near Dr. Check's office? WHAT? Also, DH had some choice things to add about the "gentleman's collection room" as he nicely put it! (I think he might be scarred!)Again, thank you for the warning and, yes, I did tell DH before we got there. It was a good call, thank you for the advice.

Third: Dr. Check. Well, as I write this my computer is resting on 25 different articles/case studies... his ability to keep talking while handing out paper work is amazing! I don't know how many are helpful to me but I have them... all. He glanced at my paperwork I brought, though nothing from my old RE, and seemed to have a clear idea in mind immediately. Since we know this is from long experience dealing with ladies in my same standings, both my DH and I felt very comfortable with that. He is a very interesting person and, as others have said, the first one I feel like is really interested in helping us 'get pregnant', not 'make money and see if they can get us pregnant', you know? He was very sensitive to our money issues and very kind about that. He was also, I think, very funny. We really liked him!

Fourth: What he said: By looking at my paperwork, mostly what I wrote on the sheet, and DH swimmers, he told me this: No need for IUI (YIPPEE!) or IVF (DOUBLE YIPPEE!) For me, he is most worried about my hormone imbalance and stopping my slide into menopause. He put me on fancy estrogen to lower my FSH (from Success meds across the parking lot!)and then do blood work to see where we are in a few days. He really seems to think, all in all, that when we balance out my hormones that everything should fall into place, possibly. This cycle has been bad, day 19, no ovulation and what looking like a empty follicle on the sono but must be a little cyst, given my blood work. So, he is hopeful that the estrogen will even things out and get me on the right track. Then, I will be firmly on the progesterone wagon for the 2WW. (Luckily, I already had that, thank you! Like so many of you he feels a luteal phase deficiency is largely at fault here. DE was mentioned but he seemed to think, if we were willing to give it some time, that we could do it with OE. (Plus, he said, with my age we had time for DE later, no need now unless we were in a huge rush.) He was also very cute with us! At one point, while dictating his letter to us (thank you for the warning on that, too!) he said: "I see they have been married 4 years, together for 15, still hold hands, which is lovely, and now want to disrupt that!" Hehehee, yes, please!

The Bad news: Yes, I was mid-odd-cycle but my FSH clocked in at 46! UGGG! 46! Still, he said, that "it doesn't have me shaking in my shoes, you won't make a case study with that number. I've seen worse." I told him I was happy to NOT be a case study, thank you! (Plus, I couldn't take any more paperwork!)

So, DH and I have decided that we will give this about 5 cycles and see where we are. Dr. Check is trying something no one else has with balancing out my hormones, so we will wait and see if it works. (But, if it just kicks these hot flashes like he said it would, win win!) If not we'll be moving onto other options.

All in all it was a great experience. I found the staff great, very helpful and very nice to me. Oh course, I was there after the 'morning rush', so that helps! (The only negative thing was a icky run-in with a lady in the waiting room who was obviously having a horrible day and chose to be passive-aggressive about it. I stopped myself from saying something equally nasty to her and just told myself she was obviously in a bad place emotionally.)

So: We are very glad we went. It was defiantly not 'more of the same old' so we are a bit hopeful about a new approach, though, honestly, I am trying to not build myself up too much. We'll just wait and see... with finger's crossed. I am very very glad, though, to not be putting my body though more invasive procedures. I was beginning to fell a bit abused, as I know we have all felt, and am glad to be done with that.

Thank you so much for all your advice and help, from answering my questions to all the old posts I read to get ready! It was so very helpful and comforting and, I think, by being prepared, I got a lot more out of what was said and what we were told.

Thanks!
So glad you went...hope he helps you find that magic egg!

GL

gisg

May 7th, 2011, 1:17 pm #4

Another Check success! Congrats Sara, it sounds very promising! I will be cheering for you!
Not success yet but more hopeful! Thank you! (NT)

May 7th, 2011, 1:18 pm #5

So glad you went...hope he helps you find that magic egg!

GL

gisg
Thank you! Fingers crossed! (NT)

KerriA
KerriA

May 7th, 2011, 1:47 pm #6

OK, so I went!

Thanks!
Thank you so much for posting your experience. I love reading about what the NJ Guru has to say, and it sounds like you got some good news! I think you are in great hands!
kerri

JulesM
JulesM

May 7th, 2011, 2:11 pm #7

OK, so I went!

Thanks!
He has helped so many women on these boards... I have faith he'll be your answer to your future family! So glad it was a positive experience!

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 7th, 2011, 3:39 pm #8

OK, so I went!

Thanks!
What is the best way to make an appointment with Dr. Check? I have emailed is office at least a dozen times but not ever received a response - I am guessing it must be best to call to schedule an appointment or find out any information about their office?

BabyDance
BabyDance

May 7th, 2011, 4:26 pm #9

OK, so I went!

Thanks!
This is wonderful news, Sara. I do have a suggestion, though. Please don't put pressure on yourself and Dr. Check of giving it 5 months. Dr. Check's ways are VERY slow... while, certainly, you may succeed in that timeframe, and I PRAY you do, please give it more time, if needed. I think Mrs. A could explain it best - he needs time....

GOOD LUCK, and you are in very good hands.

XOXO BD

May 7th, 2011, 4:38 pm #10

What is the best way to make an appointment with Dr. Check? I have emailed is office at least a dozen times but not ever received a response - I am guessing it must be best to call to schedule an appointment or find out any information about their office?
They were able to see me in a few weeks which was perfect since it too that long for me to get my paperwork in order and such. I never got an e-mail about about any questions.