Freak out of the day

Freak out of the day

Hadas
Hadas

June 7th, 2012, 7:18 pm #1

Hi,
I should disclose that I am a major hypochondriac and have tons of anxieties in general, so this one is just my anxiety of the day.
Every once in a while, I get super nervous about the fact that Ive done fertility treatments, but dont know whats accurate online and whats not. Im the type of person who looks online for every teeny tiny symptom, so I tend to drive myself (and everyone around me) nuts. Ive read about risks possibly associated with fertility treatments, but is the risk primarily due to use of Clomid or all fertility drugs? Ive read something about using Clomid for a year, but not sure what that means (Ive used Clomid a few times over 5 years or so, but not for full years).
What should we worry about and what shouldnt we worry about re. our fertility treatments?

Thanks!

Mrs. McIrish
Mrs. McIrish

June 8th, 2012, 2:34 am #2

I honestly don't think they know what the long term effects are. The data doesn't show a correlation but is that just for now and it will change with more data? Also, if you do fertility treatments and NEVER have a baby, that automatically increases your risk for breast cancer etc. Isn't that an extra kick in the a$$? I'm not much help I know. For me, I am already high risk for BC and ovarian cancer (BRCA gene) and will be removing my ovaries in a few years. No sense risking it for me.

Ashley
Ashley

June 8th, 2012, 3:21 pm #3

I myself is so worried about the long term side effect of the e2 and p4 every time I pop up a pill. Oh well but they make me feel good. I will be trying till September with my own eggs if don't work I will be looking into natural , herbal meds to balance the hormones , I can't handle the side affects of pof .

Sara Q
Sara Q

June 8th, 2012, 3:42 pm #4

Hi,
I should disclose that I am a major hypochondriac and have tons of anxieties in general, so this one is just my anxiety of the day.
Every once in a while, I get super nervous about the fact that Ive done fertility treatments, but dont know whats accurate online and whats not. Im the type of person who looks online for every teeny tiny symptom, so I tend to drive myself (and everyone around me) nuts. Ive read about risks possibly associated with fertility treatments, but is the risk primarily due to use of Clomid or all fertility drugs? Ive read something about using Clomid for a year, but not sure what that means (Ive used Clomid a few times over 5 years or so, but not for full years).
What should we worry about and what shouldnt we worry about re. our fertility treatments?

Thanks!
....about all of the things you mentioned. I worry that taking fertility drugs, e2 and p4, never getting pregnant after all of this, and early menopause with contribute to me getting breast or ovarian cancer. (Especially since my aunt had it and my mom had pre-cancerous growths.)

If we get my immune system under control and I'm still not getting pregnant with my OE, I think I probably will think about using DE for #2 (#1 will hopefully be through adoption) because I want to lower my overall risk for problems....

You're not alone Hadas. I think a lot of us worry about this.

Take care,
S

Laura
Laura

June 8th, 2012, 4:12 pm #5

Hi,

Thanks!
My mom had BC and tested BRCA1+, I was negative, but I still worry about other factors. There are always pluses and minuses. For example, both having a baby and BFing lowers your risk for BC. However, fertility treatments might increase your risk...so I don't know which has more of an impact.

Maybe the best advice I have is to find a Dr (or couple of Dr's) who are good at working with you through your anxiety with looking up your own symptoms. Most Dr's will just roll their eyes and say "don't do that" but that's not helpful. There IS a lot of good information out there, so find a Dr who helps you find it. For example, if you say "I looked up this symptom and am worried about it" they should say "well, let's talk about it and see what's going on," instead of "the internet is wrong, you're fine."

jkl
jkl

June 8th, 2012, 5:28 pm #6

Hi,

Thanks!
I think the main worry is high estrogen not the stims themselves. The good thing about having high fsh is (if there is such a thing) is that our estrogen doesn't really get that high since most of us don't produce many follicles. Another reason low stim might be better. So I'm guessing that the risk is probably small, as long as you're not cycling repeatedly for years.

jkl

Hadas
Hadas

June 8th, 2012, 6:43 pm #7

That's interesting and good to know.I can imagine that many of us cycle for years, but do you mean month after month with no breaks or any number of times, even a few, over X years?

The research is on the internet, but in truth, the numbers are still SO SO SO small, that I know it's rare. Still, the way studies are worded, when they say 2x the risk, you worry... then you see that it's like 0.3 vs 0.6, which is still tiny.

Where did you hear that it's the E2 and not the stims themselves? What levels are super risky do you think?

Also... why would someone who had a baby and BF have less of a risk? Pregnancy is only 9 months.

Let's hope this is truly nothing to worry about in the short and long term!

Thanks,
Hadas

Laura
Laura

June 8th, 2012, 7:23 pm #8

She studied BC a lot since she herself was BRCA+ and she told me that having a baby and BFing both appear to lower one's risk of BC in a few different studies. I think it has to do with prolactin, but I'm not sure.

Hadas
Hadas

June 8th, 2012, 8:04 pm #9

How about ovarian cancer? n/t

Catmama
Catmama

June 9th, 2012, 1:09 am #10

Hi,

Thanks!
My RE's nurse once told me that the drugs are not necessarily "drugs" because they are replacements or supplements of natural hormones. Not sure I fully agree... Easy for her to say with a photo of her 6 bio kids --not one ART conceived -- on her desk.