For anyone losing hope... I can't believe I'm posting this (BFP mentioned, very long)

For anyone losing hope... I can't believe I'm posting this (BFP mentioned, very long)

Erin
Erin

May 14th, 2012, 4:37 pm #1

So, believe it or not (I still fall in the "not" category) turns out this last (my fourth!) IVF cycle worked! My beta went from 113.5 on 13dpo on Friday to 358 today on 16dpo, so it's VERY early, but a huge landmark for someone like myself who at 33yo has never been pg. I've imagined being able to post this for a really long time, but my case looked pretty hopeless. For any one who's feeling really negative or hopeless about their situation, I wanted to give a bit of my history (sorry this is so long, but this is my story).

At age 13, I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. From that point on, I was relentlessly sick. I would go to my doctor's every week and was on every medication known to man (including chemo agents, and mega doses of steroids) and nothing seemed to work. Through high school and college, I pushed myself to keep going despite spending about half of my life in the hospital or too sick to get off the couch. A couple of times my weight came down to the low 70's pounds, and I nearly died. I was finally given only one option, and that was to have my colon completely removed. I was told that could be curative. It was not. Over the next 10+ years I underwent another 10-15 major surgeries with serious complications and long recovery times. It seemed things would never turn around.

Finally they did. I met my wonderful, supportive husband and made some great friends while getting my master's degree. I went to a great surgeon in FL (from MA) who helped me a lot. I realized that the stress of my job was making me much sicker, so with the support of my husband I stopped working (even though we really couldn't afford it). As a result, I've been in remission for over a year.

However as all this was going on, I discovered that I was infertile. About 3.5yrs ago, my husband and I started trying to conceive. I went to multiple OBs and was told that despite my illness, I should not have a problem conceiving. So, my BFF and I started trying around the same time. On the second month, she was pg. I was no where close. I kept trying, but ended up having an MRI d/t a medical complication of my illness. The MRI showed a possible tumor on my R ovary, so I was told to have a lap. On the lap, there was fortunately no tumor but the surgeon said my tubes were shot and the only way to get pg would be IVF. I was destroyed, but told I would be a "easy case" b/c I just had blocked tubes. Then my CD3 labs came back- FSH=15. I had no idea what "FSH" was, but was devastated when I googled it. I was 31yo.

What followed was 4 IVF cycles (IUIs would not have worked b/c of my tubes). Here are my stats:

Highest FSH: 23.3 (although I think this was d/t a med error. Highest unmedicated was 18)
AMH: less than 0.1 (this is why I don't believe in AMH!)
AFC: 5-8, but only 3-5 of those grew beyond 10mm every time.
TTC for 3.5yrs
33yo

Here's what happened:

IVF #1 12/2010- B.righam and Wo.men's: Low dose long lupron on max stims. Stimmed about 18 days, 4 eggs retrieved, 2 mature, 2 transferred (a 5-cell and a 3-cell)- BFN
*Had to take a time out after this cycle for another surgery. When I came back to my RE when I'd recovered, FSH was up to 18. I was told "You can just keep cycling until you accept DE, but this is not going to work and you have to accept that."

IVF #2 10/2011- C.CRM (given 10-15% chance of success before cycle): Testosterone priming, HGH, dexa, max stims ("everything but the kitchen sink" protocol): 4-6 follicles growing, LH surged many times, once to 50's but kept going, after about 18 days of stims, retrieved one poor quality egg (on my birthday!) and told I'd ovulated or follicles had luteinized- BFN
*Was told by RE (one the most popular ones in the country) that I was one of the worst responders he'd seen and essentially told to give up.

IVF #3 2-3/2012- C.ornell (Dr. D): Low stim with EPP, MDL and co-culture- stimmed 12 days, 5 eggs retrieved, 4 mature, 4 fertilized, 2 transferred (1 8-cell and 1 5-cell)- BFN (although got my first pos HPT during this cycle- could have been trigger or very early chemical).

IVF #4 4-5/2012- C.ornell: same protocol as above- stimmed 12 days, 3 retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred (1 8-cell and 1 7-cell)= BFP!

What made a difference? Well, for me low stims were clearly the way to go. I also upped my coQ10 and ubiquinol on this last cycle and had my husband take some as well (he has low morph but normal DNA frag). The co-culture probably helped. My LH also for the first time stayed really low on this last cycle, which is unusual for me.

It's hard to know what happened here, and it's still so early, but I figure that anything the happens from here has nothing to do with my high FSH. I am so incredibly appreciative for all of you, as without you, I don't know that I would have had the faith to keep going. A very special thanks to Sara Q (who showed me this site and has been an awesome friend) and Houston (who pointed me in the direction of Dr. D).

That's it! I'll post any future updates on the pink board (I can't believe I just wrote that). Sending best wishes to all of you and happy to answer any questions.

Sara Q
Sara Q

May 14th, 2012, 4:46 pm #2

Smiling and tears after reading this! Big hug friend. Let's talk soon!

Houston
Houston

May 14th, 2012, 4:53 pm #3

So, believe it or not (I still fall in the "not" category) turns out this last (my fourth!) IVF cycle worked! My beta went from 113.5 on 13dpo on Friday to 358 today on 16dpo, so it's VERY early, but a huge landmark for someone like myself who at 33yo has never been pg. I've imagined being able to post this for a really long time, but my case looked pretty hopeless. For any one who's feeling really negative or hopeless about their situation, I wanted to give a bit of my history (sorry this is so long, but this is my story).

At age 13, I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. From that point on, I was relentlessly sick. I would go to my doctor's every week and was on every medication known to man (including chemo agents, and mega doses of steroids) and nothing seemed to work. Through high school and college, I pushed myself to keep going despite spending about half of my life in the hospital or too sick to get off the couch. A couple of times my weight came down to the low 70's pounds, and I nearly died. I was finally given only one option, and that was to have my colon completely removed. I was told that could be curative. It was not. Over the next 10+ years I underwent another 10-15 major surgeries with serious complications and long recovery times. It seemed things would never turn around.

Finally they did. I met my wonderful, supportive husband and made some great friends while getting my master's degree. I went to a great surgeon in FL (from MA) who helped me a lot. I realized that the stress of my job was making me much sicker, so with the support of my husband I stopped working (even though we really couldn't afford it). As a result, I've been in remission for over a year.

However as all this was going on, I discovered that I was infertile. About 3.5yrs ago, my husband and I started trying to conceive. I went to multiple OBs and was told that despite my illness, I should not have a problem conceiving. So, my BFF and I started trying around the same time. On the second month, she was pg. I was no where close. I kept trying, but ended up having an MRI d/t a medical complication of my illness. The MRI showed a possible tumor on my R ovary, so I was told to have a lap. On the lap, there was fortunately no tumor but the surgeon said my tubes were shot and the only way to get pg would be IVF. I was destroyed, but told I would be a "easy case" b/c I just had blocked tubes. Then my CD3 labs came back- FSH=15. I had no idea what "FSH" was, but was devastated when I googled it. I was 31yo.

What followed was 4 IVF cycles (IUIs would not have worked b/c of my tubes). Here are my stats:

Highest FSH: 23.3 (although I think this was d/t a med error. Highest unmedicated was 18)
TTC for 3.5yrs
33yo

Here's what happened:

IVF #1 12/2010- B.righam and Wo.men's: Low dose long lupron on max stims. Stimmed about 18 days, 4 eggs retrieved, 2 mature, 2 transferred (a 5-cell and a 3-cell)- BFN
*Had to take a time out after this cycle for another surgery. When I came back to my RE when I'd recovered, FSH was up to 18. I was told "You can just keep cycling until you accept DE, but this is not going to work and you have to accept that."

IVF #2 10/2011- C.CRM (given 10-15% chance of success before cycle): Testosterone priming, HGH, dexa, max stims ("everything but the kitchen sink" protocol): 4-6 follicles growing, LH surged many times, once to 50's but kept going, after about 18 days of stims, retrieved one poor quality egg (on my birthday!) and told I'd ovulated or follicles had luteinized- BFN
*Was told by RE (one the most popular ones in the country) that I was one of the worst responders he'd seen and essentially told to give up.

IVF #3 2-3/2012- C.ornell (Dr. D): Low stim with EPP, MDL and co-culture- stimmed 12 days, 5 eggs retrieved, 4 mature, 4 fertilized, 2 transferred (1 8-cell and 1 5-cell)- BFN (although got my first pos HPT during this cycle- could have been trigger or very early chemical).

IVF #4 4-5/2012- C.ornell: same protocol as above- stimmed 12 days, 3 retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred (1 8-cell and 1 7-cell)= BFP!

What made a difference? Well, for me low stims were clearly the way to go. I also upped my coQ10 and ubiquinol on this last cycle and had my husband take some as well (he has low morph but normal DNA frag). The co-culture probably helped. My LH also for the first time stayed really low on this last cycle, which is unusual for me.

It's hard to know what happened here, and it's still so early, but I figure that anything the happens from here has nothing to do with my high FSH. I am so incredibly appreciative for all of you, as without you, I don't know that I would have had the faith to keep going. A very special thanks to Sara Q (who showed me this site and has been an awesome friend) and Houston (who pointed me in the direction of Dr. D).

That's it! I'll post any future updates on the pink board (I can't believe I just wrote that). Sending best wishes to all of you and happy to answer any questions.

I was wondering what was going on with your cycle. Such strong betas!! I am so glad things worked out for you. I almost asked this weekend, but thought you may not want to post b/c of superstitious reasons.

Keep us updated.

Jamie
Jamie

May 14th, 2012, 5:01 pm #4

TTC for 3.5yrs
33yo

Here's what happened:

So happy for you! Your beta is amazingly high--a wonderful sign! Congratulations!

melly
melly

May 14th, 2012, 5:12 pm #5

TTC for 3.5yrs
33yo

Here's what happened:

big congrats Erin....
I am so happy for you.. Happy and healty 9 months!

May 14th, 2012, 5:43 pm #6

TTC for 3.5yrs
33yo

Here's what happened:

Congrats. Here is to a healthy 9 months.

May 14th, 2012, 5:49 pm #7

TTC for 3.5yrs
33yo

Here's what happened:

Congrats, Erin! I am so happy for you and wish you a very healthy 9 months!

How much COQ10 and ubiquinol were you taking?

Again, best wishes and congratulations to you!

Jen
Jen

May 14th, 2012, 5:53 pm #8

TTC for 3.5yrs
33yo

Here's what happened:

Your story is wonderful to hear! So good to hear stories that beat the "This is never going to happen, blah, blah, blahhhhhh." I said a prayer for you that all goes well, and those betas keep going

Julie
Julie

May 14th, 2012, 7:07 pm #9

TTC for 3.5yrs
33yo

Here's what happened:

Wow. So glad to hear the good news. Your courage and persistence pays off. Hope your beta continue to rise and have an uneventful pregnancy. I googled briefly. Is it possible twins?

http://www.advancedfertility.com/earlypre.htm

Kim
Kim

May 14th, 2012, 7:34 pm #10

TTC for 3.5yrs
33yo

Here's what happened:

how much stims per day? I know you mentioned low stim. Does this mean 150iu per day? Thanks and H&H 9 months!