Follow up to freak out post below

Follow up to freak out post below

Hadas
Hadas

June 10th, 2012, 3:53 pm #1

Hi,
Is anyone else here truly a hypochondriac? I posted below re. my freak out of the day. The back story is that I did an IVF cycle last month (low dose) and bled a few days after ending PIO. AF then came last week at CD21. Logically, I know this can happen... it can be early, it can be late, it can be on time.

In my hypochondriac mind, though, I felt the need to look up OC. Why? I don't know. I have a tendency to do this and am planning on making an appointment with a therapist in the next week or two to start addressing this (last month, after a routine CBC, I was told that I had slightly low WBC and had neutropenia or whatever it was and I, of course, looked all of this up online and became convinced for a month that I had a life threatening disease until my GP repeated it and all came back normal).

Anyway, I look up OC and I have all the symptoms. Out of the blue. Not last week. Not the week before. Just beginning the day I looked up the symptoms (which are vague and can be anything, of course).

Do any of you do this and how do you address it and stop doing it?

Thanks for any help,
Hadas

Laura
Laura

June 11th, 2012, 3:48 am #2

OC is very rare. The lifetime risk of non-brca women is about 3%. So maybe when you look up symptoms, also look up the occurrence % with any diagnosis you think you may have.

And maybe talk to your Dr about your anxiety. If it is interfering with your life, you might consider talking to a therapist who specializes in IF, and medical anxiety. I hope you feel better soon!

Hadas
Hadas

June 11th, 2012, 11:34 am #3

Numbers do help, so thank you!
I'm planning on calling a therapist today. This has been a recurring pattern with me and it's getting tiring! I'm not going to see someone specializing in IF because this is totally beyond IF.

Thank you again for your help!
Hadas

jkl
jkl

June 11th, 2012, 4:19 pm #4

Hi,
Is anyone else here truly a hypochondriac? I posted below re. my freak out of the day. The back story is that I did an IVF cycle last month (low dose) and bled a few days after ending PIO. AF then came last week at CD21. Logically, I know this can happen... it can be early, it can be late, it can be on time.

In my hypochondriac mind, though, I felt the need to look up OC. Why? I don't know. I have a tendency to do this and am planning on making an appointment with a therapist in the next week or two to start addressing this (last month, after a routine CBC, I was told that I had slightly low WBC and had neutropenia or whatever it was and I, of course, looked all of this up online and became convinced for a month that I had a life threatening disease until my GP repeated it and all came back normal).

Anyway, I look up OC and I have all the symptoms. Out of the blue. Not last week. Not the week before. Just beginning the day I looked up the symptoms (which are vague and can be anything, of course).

Thanks for any help,
Hadas
Your ovaries are being monitored all the time and that should catch it I would think. I don't think you can progress to full blown oc if they saw nothing on the u/s a couple months earlier.

I think a therapist would be a good idea. Maybe your stress about fertility is coming out as cancer hypochondria. That is usually it for me, there is something else I'm worried about and it manifests as hypochondria. I was much worse when I was younger. GL

jkl

Hadas
Hadas

June 11th, 2012, 4:29 pm #5

Hi,

Thanks for any help,
Hadas
So I managed to get an appt with my OB Gyn this morning and he felt a cyst on one side, so I'm doing an u/s to see how big/what type. He says hemorragic (sp?) cysts are common,etc and can also cause symptoms like pelvic pain. I've had crampiness and nausea for a few days and he says, yes, can be caused by a cyst.

Now I'm freaking out... shocker. I haven't had a cyst that I know of in 6 years. That time, it was a 7cm (yes, cm, not mm) cyst and I was scheduled for surgery to remove it. Went for u/s morning of surgery and the cyst was gone.

Have any of you had cysts after an IVF cycle? Is there anything you can share about your experience?

Thanks!

Sara Q
Sara Q

June 11th, 2012, 5:57 pm #6

I didn't have cysts after IVF, but I did 2 or 3 times after IUI. My RE said it was pretty typical and we just waited for them to go down, which they did by the following month.

Good luck. I'm sure it will be fine.

Nancy
Nancy

June 11th, 2012, 6:47 pm #7

So I managed to get an appt with my OB Gyn this morning and he felt a cyst on one side, so I'm doing an u/s to see how big/what type. He says hemorragic (sp?) cysts are common,etc and can also cause symptoms like pelvic pain. I've had crampiness and nausea for a few days and he says, yes, can be caused by a cyst.

Now I'm freaking out... shocker. I haven't had a cyst that I know of in 6 years. That time, it was a 7cm (yes, cm, not mm) cyst and I was scheduled for surgery to remove it. Went for u/s morning of surgery and the cyst was gone.

Have any of you had cysts after an IVF cycle? Is there anything you can share about your experience?

Thanks!
Hi! I had cysts on a "regular" cycle AND stimulated, in fact looking at back at symptoms in the past I am sure I have had them several times. They can vary in size, and either be hemoragphic cysts, or Corpus Luteam (CL) cysts (I think there may be different "flavors" of CL cysts). At any rate, I have had both and each produced different symptoms, although I think they are interchangeable symptoms. The hemoraghic cyst I had was 3-4cm, but did not produces estrogen nor bleeding. I had no symptoms of it whatsoever, except that when I went in for a baseline, it was there (I wasn't going to be doing a cycle, it was actually during my initial IF workup that they found it!). I was already scheduled for a d&c/lab/polpectomy, so they decided to remove it during that (otherwise, they said they'd normally just let it go away on it's own). The other times, I had CL cysts but they didn't produce estrogen so it didn't hold anything up and I had no symptoms. However, one time time in this last year that I had a cyst, it was more like a CL cyst and I discovered it because AF came on CD 18 or something like that, so I went in for my baseline to start my first IVF cycle, and it was there (no meds in the previous cycle either)! It was only 18mm, but was producing E2!!! My estrogen was around 250. At first, Co - oper thought it was a growing follicle, but in the end it was a left-over CL cyst that was still producing E2 (You could tell based on my BBTs and P4 levels because nothing "happened"). Even though you think you might not have had a cyst over these last years, you may very well have because like I said, I had no symptoms of the hemoragphic cyst, or the non-E2 cysts, but I did for the CL cyst. (well, the only "symptom" realy was early AF, but I didn't have much pain or anything like that, very mild).

As for your thoughts on cancer, I think about this ALL THE TIME and it scares/freaks me too! I am more scared about OC than BC, simply becasue in my experience doctors pay more attention to that and will foo-foo OC testing (which I understand some of the testing might not be as developed as for BC). In fact, I had some weird pains a few years back and had to beg and plead to have them do more testing to rule out OC. NOw, I know it's very rare, but I personally know 2 people, one is in our family, that had/have it and they said to be persistent with testing if you have concerns.

Good luck with dx the type of cyst you have! Let us know how it goes

Nancy