Does low estrogen mean high FSH?

Does low estrogen mean high FSH?

Sara H
Sara H

April 28th, 2011, 2:57 am #1

I am cycle day 11. I have been having crazy hot flashes this month, sometimes 5 a day. (The only time before this this I have ever had hot flashes is when they put me on Clomid.) They have gotten worse as the cycle has gone on.

My temps have been dropping, with a .5 drop today. Almost positive OPK today. (Yes, BD just in case) The only thing different this cycle is that I have added vit. D3 and Ubiquinol, everything else is the same. Could those do it???

My question is this:

The hot flashes mean low estrogen, from everything I have read, but does it mean high FSH? I have my first Dr. Check appointment next week, I have not have my levels tested in 6 months, I just want to be forewarned before I go in if my FSH is going to be through the roof.

Please be very honset in what you think.

Thank you, Ladies!
Sara H.

PS- Hot flashes suck!

KerriA
KerriA

April 28th, 2011, 3:13 am #2

it's the estrogen from the follicles that will ultimately trigger the surge and your temperature dropped -so both would suggest your estrogen is up. Another sign of estrogen would be increased CM.
kerri

April 28th, 2011, 4:51 am #3

I am cycle day 11. I have been having crazy hot flashes this month, sometimes 5 a day. (The only time before this this I have ever had hot flashes is when they put me on Clomid.) They have gotten worse as the cycle has gone on.

My temps have been dropping, with a .5 drop today. Almost positive OPK today. (Yes, BD just in case) The only thing different this cycle is that I have added vit. D3 and Ubiquinol, everything else is the same. Could those do it???

My question is this:

The hot flashes mean low estrogen, from everything I have read, but does it mean high FSH? I have my first Dr. Check appointment next week, I have not have my levels tested in 6 months, I just want to be forewarned before I go in if my FSH is going to be through the roof.

Thank you, Ladies!
Sara H.

PS- Hot flashes suck!
I usually go on to ovulate. I think in my case, I have the hot flashes when follicles are stalled or slow to respond. Once they kick into gear and I notice EWCM, the hot flashes stop. I agree that they are miserable! I've had night sweats before, but only recently had the hot flashes. They almost feel like a panic attack to me. I think I'm gonna have to do HRT when menopause finally strikes to ease them. Regarding your FSH, it is hard to say. I think even if you have high FSH and low E2 this cycle, it doesn't necessarily mean you will next month. I'll have a really great cycle after a crappy, strange one. Hope that helps.

xoxo, Tracy

April 28th, 2011, 12:48 pm #4

My question is this:

Thank you, Ladies!
Sara H.

PS- Hot flashes suck!
I have had a lot of hot flashes/night sweats and know that it is definitely low estrogen. My understanding is that FSH and estrogen are linked, although that is not to say that you will never ovulate! I am an infrequently ovulator (word?) and when I ovulate it is a good egg. .

Jill 35
TTC since 11/09ish
DS 2/6/08 (TTC ~ 1 year with only 3 Os!)
High FSH 28.7

Sara H
Sara H

April 28th, 2011, 1:05 pm #5

it's the estrogen from the follicles that will ultimately trigger the surge and your temperature dropped -so both would suggest your estrogen is up. Another sign of estrogen would be increased CM.
kerri
Thank you, Kerri, great insight!
I had not thought of the temp and surge as signs as well.

I have not had great CM, though I have been drinking my grapefruit juice, which usually helps a lot. Felt like I had an O pain yesterday but I could just be digestion from dinner! (Sometimes I get quick, sharp cramps after I eat, especially red meat! Not helpful!)

Thank you!

Sara H
Sara H

April 28th, 2011, 1:10 pm #6

I usually go on to ovulate. I think in my case, I have the hot flashes when follicles are stalled or slow to respond. Once they kick into gear and I notice EWCM, the hot flashes stop. I agree that they are miserable! I've had night sweats before, but only recently had the hot flashes. They almost feel like a panic attack to me. I think I'm gonna have to do HRT when menopause finally strikes to ease them. Regarding your FSH, it is hard to say. I think even if you have high FSH and low E2 this cycle, it doesn't necessarily mean you will next month. I'll have a really great cycle after a crappy, strange one. Hope that helps.

xoxo, Tracy
My Cm is getting better but not yet fully there. But, here's to the hot flashes being done with O! That would be great!

Mine have not been that bad, just really bothersome. So far they are well handled with taking off some layers, which I always wear.

So, I hope you are right for me as well and I follow your pattern of a great cycle next month, since the timing would be wonderful!

Thank you for your note, it really helps!

Sara H
Sara H

April 28th, 2011, 1:20 pm #7

I have had a lot of hot flashes/night sweats and know that it is definitely low estrogen. My understanding is that FSH and estrogen are linked, although that is not to say that you will never ovulate! I am an infrequently ovulator (word?) and when I ovulate it is a good egg. .

Jill 35
TTC since 11/09ish
DS 2/6/08 (TTC ~ 1 year with only 3 Os!)
High FSH 28.7
But I seem to O every month, sadly, 'not so good' eggs!

Since we are similar levels (at least last time I was checked) may I ask if OPKs work for you? The seem to for me, though sometimes my surge last a few days, not just 1, but then it drops off as it should.

Well, I guess I will prep myself for a big high number... now I need to decided where my cut off is. I know one lady found success over 100, but she is the golden exception, not the rule. I think for me it might be 50, but we'll see what Check says and how I feel then, you know?

Thank you for your comments, Jill, I am grateful!

Sara H

Tanya
Tanya

April 28th, 2011, 1:36 pm #8

Cooper has told me that an FSH of twenty-something is not that high. Last month they put me on estyinl and it took some tweaking but in the end, it definitely lowered my FSH. I had a consult with Dr. Cohen during last months cycle and she explained that when your FSH is elevated it isnt good for the egg but if they can lower it (which they do with estyinl) the egg doesnt know your FSH was high and is still viable. I am paraphrasing here, her explanation was much better.
The other thing she said was it isnt always good if you O before CD10 so if they can lower your FSH then it can prevent the early O.

As far as OPKs, I asked Dr. Check about that and the silly RE earlier this week. They both said when you have elevated FSH, you often have elevated LH which can cause the OPKs not to work that well. For me, if I use the smiley face OPK they seem to work, the others ones are questionable. I just bought some cheapies from early pregnancy tests.com, Ill let you know how those work.

maureen
maureen

April 28th, 2011, 1:37 pm #9

My question is this:

Thank you, Ladies!
Sara H.

PS- Hot flashes suck!
Sometimes they happen after taking stims the month prior. Then the next month is fine. Check put me on estinyl once because of them and that stopped them immediately. I took it for a week or so then stoped, ovulated, and went on like life was normal. Don't worry, high fsh and hot flashes don't intimidate Check.

I've also had hot flashes when my thryoid is off, so you might want to get that tested as well. My levels really fluctuated, so I asked to be tested when I was feeling really bad and that's how they caught it.

GL!
Maureen

Tanya
Tanya

April 28th, 2011, 2:18 pm #10

Thank you, Kerri, great insight!
I had not thought of the temp and surge as signs as well.

I have not had great CM, though I have been drinking my grapefruit juice, which usually helps a lot. Felt like I had an O pain yesterday but I could just be digestion from dinner! (Sometimes I get quick, sharp cramps after I eat, especially red meat! Not helpful!)

Thank you!

While I am thinking of it, I thought I should point out that if you go on estyinl you cannot have grapefruit juice. Not sure why but there is a warning on the label. May be something to ask Dr. Check about.