confused about DOR

confused about DOR

May 18th, 2011, 7:31 pm #1

everything i read is conflicting! i read positive things like age is a good factor in DOR (im 31) in terms of quality. that bc im young i still have a good number of quality eggs left despite the DOR. THEN i read, that with DOR, the body ovulates the good eggs first, before you have DOR or before the DOR has started to advance. So, does that mean that my eggs are then sh*t despite my age? Im kind of typing in a rather sarcastic manner. There is just a lot of conflicting info out there. Im gathering that no one really knows the answer regarding egg quality and DOR. Any thoughts?

AJ
AJ

May 18th, 2011, 7:58 pm #2

My previous RE said the same- that your body uses the best eggs first. I'm currently with Dr. Check and asked him about this. He says that the ratio of good eggs to bad should be the same, I just have less of them. I like Dr. Check's theory better, of course:) I do think age is still on your side, as I believe the quality of even the best eggs deteriorates naturally over time. But I'm not a Dr. so don't quote me on that!

May 18th, 2011, 8:24 pm #3

everything i read is conflicting! i read positive things like age is a good factor in DOR (im 31) in terms of quality. that bc im young i still have a good number of quality eggs left despite the DOR. THEN i read, that with DOR, the body ovulates the good eggs first, before you have DOR or before the DOR has started to advance. So, does that mean that my eggs are then sh*t despite my age? Im kind of typing in a rather sarcastic manner. There is just a lot of conflicting info out there. Im gathering that no one really knows the answer regarding egg quality and DOR. Any thoughts?
Seem like RE's sometimes though out phrases like 'DOR' when it really isn't true, what they mean is "on the path to..." So first lets make sure the DOR is what you should be focused on at all.

As it is, I agree with the fact that age is really on your side!

Hang in there, this is all super confusing but feel better, it is confusing for Dr.s as well, that is why there are so many opinions!

Hugs, Sara H

May 18th, 2011, 8:32 pm #4

sorry - i never know when to list them. and my stats are kind of involved.

so im 31, soon to be 32.
three years ago i had HA (hypothalamic amennorhea), didnt ovulate for 6 months due to excercise and weight. went to RE and he told me to gain weight and diagnosed the HA.(my BMI was 19.2 btw) i gained 5 lbs, got my period, and the following cycle we did clomid and i got pregnant with my son.
...fast-forward 3 years later, we TTC for #2 in jan...got pregnant but m/c at 5.5 weeks. my OB wasnt worried as i ovulate at "good times" of the month and have regular periods. i was worried. went back to RE in may and he found the FSH at 12.3 and the AFC at 8. E2 was normal (like 40 or 45) AMH to come but im sure it will suck.
i probably had the DOR when i got pregnant with my son, as the AFC was 9 back then. FSH was fine, nor was the E2 elevated, but my RE just figured i was coming off of the HA, hense the AFC count....he thinks that if i didnt get pregnant with my son so quickly, it would have been found back then.

May 18th, 2011, 8:32 pm #5

DS MENT in that response Sara

Sara H.
Sara H.

May 19th, 2011, 12:30 am #6

But that is really not very elevated FSH and 8 is not bad. I am surprised that it was called DOR but maybe I am totally off base here, ladies?

Sara H
Sara H

May 19th, 2011, 12:34 am #7

Well documented article about DOR, worth a read.

Hope this helps!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poor_ovarian_reserve

May 19th, 2011, 1:14 am #8

But that is really not very elevated FSH and 8 is not bad. I am surprised that it was called DOR but maybe I am totally off base here, ladies?

well who knows what my next CD3 draws will be you know? that was just ONE random draw. i find it hard to believe that that random draw will be my highest. i hope so, but am doubtful....i also havent gotten my AMH #.

May 19th, 2011, 1:27 am #9

Well documented article about DOR, worth a read.

Hope this helps!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poor_ovarian_reserve
that's a good article - go wiki. thanks unfortunately yes, i was still diagnosed with DOR...a lot of other stuff i have read in the internet, refers to similar stats as mine as DOR too....

AJ
AJ

May 19th, 2011, 1:31 am #10

well who knows what my next CD3 draws will be you know? that was just ONE random draw. i find it hard to believe that that random draw will be my highest. i hope so, but am doubtful....i also havent gotten my AMH #.
there are varying degrees of DOR. A Dr. could say your reserve is lower than other women in your age group based on your FSH and AFC. So, you probably would not have the same response to follicle stimulating drugs as another 31 year old would have. It certainly doesn't mean you won't have success. It just might take a little more time/effort than the average woman your age. And I've always heard that age is the most important factor here-