Coming out of my anon posts for the past couple of wks... my latest cycle (DD mentioned)

Coming out of my anon posts for the past couple of wks... my latest cycle (DD mentioned)

Joined: March 28th, 2011, 5:51 pm

May 8th, 2012, 9:34 pm #1

Hi everyone,
I felt bad about posting continuously as "anon" this or that for the past couple of weeks, but could really use your advice, so I'm coming out!

Some history in addition to the signature... we ran out of fertility insurance coverage, so we decided to try one more time by paying out of pocket for the new "natural" IVF option my clinic is now offering. It's 3 retrievals plus 1 transfer using Clomid for what ends up being, when all fees are added up, just under $10K. We figured why not, let's try.

Retrieval one with Clomid: total bust. Had 3 nice size follies that were all empty.
RE let me move forward with injectibles without raising the price (though we paid for those meds, too).

Retrieval two with injectibles and Ganirelix: had about 4-5 follies in the running, 1 retrieved, beautiful 8 cell grade 1 embryo. For the past year, though, whenever we've done a FET or even fresh transfer, lining has been horrible (usually praying for it to get about 5). I've done it all... Viagra, l-arginine, Estradiol, etc, and still... horrible. This time, it got to 7.5 on its own, so RE said, "My gut says to transfer." So we did... BFN today at 12dp3dt. I'm so sad... I was sort of feeling hopeful... I've been nauseous since yesterday and generally feeling different than in recent cycles.

So now we have the 3rd and last retrieval available to us. We have to see how much it'll cost to pay for an extra transfer.

So I guess I am just asking for advice here on a couple of things. What is the minimum lining you would transfer into? Was it too much of a gamble to move forward with a 7.5? As a side note, at transfer, we asked that RE to tell us how the lining was, fully expecting to hear "8", but he said 5.5. It was measured that day abdominally, so I don't know how accurate it was, but still...

Also, my mother in law, who lives in France and may have a different point of view on this, says, "Why don't you use a surrogate?" Is that a reasonable option in terms of it making sense in our case, and if so, if you use someone you know personally (not that I've ever asked; this just came to me a few minutes ago), would it cost anything more than the actual transfer? I've heard about surrogacy costing huge amounts, but don't know anything else about it.

I should say that we are very grateful to have a 2.5 year old DD born as a result of IVF, so I know that I can carry a baby, but on the other hand, I know that this could easily change over time (meaning maybe my lining isn't good enough anymore; though I don't understand why).

Thank you all for your help, both as an anon poster and as Hadas!



Me & DH: 38
Married at 32 and TTC right away
2/07: IUI #1 (Clomid only) BFP (No more hb at 9 weeks; D&C)
Through rest of 2007: Multiple IUI's (Clomid or Femara): all BFN
3/08: IVF #1 FSH: 11.6 (highest ever recorded for me) MDL protocol; BFP/chemical
10/08: IVF #2: BFP! DD born 7/09
5/10: Uterine polyp removal
8/10: FET #1: BFP/Chemical
11/10: IVF #3: Retrieval only; transfer postponed due to thin lining
1/11: FET #2: BFN
3/11: FET #3: BFN
12/11: Uh oh... FSH 16
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: March 28th, 2011, 5:51 pm

May 8th, 2012, 9:49 pm #2

Just for what it's worth, my FSH this past cycle was 11.7
Also, we'll be in NY for a week vacation at the end of this month. Would it be of any benefit to see Dr. Check while I'm there?

Thanks!

Me & DH: 38
Married at 32 and TTC right away
2/07: IUI #1 (Clomid only) BFP (No more hb at 9 weeks; D&C)
Through rest of 2007: Multiple IUI's (Clomid or Femara): all BFN
3/08: IVF #1 FSH: 11.6 (highest ever recorded for me) MDL protocol; BFP/chemical
10/08: IVF #2: BFP! DD born 7/09
5/10: Uterine polyp removal
8/10: FET #1: BFP/Chemical
11/10: IVF #3: Retrieval only; transfer postponed due to thin lining
1/11: FET #2: BFN
3/11: FET #3: BFN
12/11: Uh oh... FSH 16
Quote
Like
Share

Laura
Laura

May 8th, 2012, 10:24 pm #3

Hi everyone,
I felt bad about posting continuously as "anon" this or that for the past couple of weeks, but could really use your advice, so I'm coming out!

Some history in addition to the signature... we ran out of fertility insurance coverage, so we decided to try one more time by paying out of pocket for the new "natural" IVF option my clinic is now offering. It's 3 retrievals plus 1 transfer using Clomid for what ends up being, when all fees are added up, just under $10K. We figured why not, let's try.

Retrieval one with Clomid: total bust. Had 3 nice size follies that were all empty.
RE let me move forward with injectibles without raising the price (though we paid for those meds, too).

Retrieval two with injectibles and Ganirelix: had about 4-5 follies in the running, 1 retrieved, beautiful 8 cell grade 1 embryo. For the past year, though, whenever we've done a FET or even fresh transfer, lining has been horrible (usually praying for it to get about 5). I've done it all... Viagra, l-arginine, Estradiol, etc, and still... horrible. This time, it got to 7.5 on its own, so RE said, "My gut says to transfer." So we did... BFN today at 12dp3dt. I'm so sad... I was sort of feeling hopeful... I've been nauseous since yesterday and generally feeling different than in recent cycles.

So now we have the 3rd and last retrieval available to us. We have to see how much it'll cost to pay for an extra transfer.

So I guess I am just asking for advice here on a couple of things. What is the minimum lining you would transfer into? Was it too much of a gamble to move forward with a 7.5? As a side note, at transfer, we asked that RE to tell us how the lining was, fully expecting to hear "8", but he said 5.5. It was measured that day abdominally, so I don't know how accurate it was, but still...

Also, my mother in law, who lives in France and may have a different point of view on this, says, "Why don't you use a surrogate?" Is that a reasonable option in terms of it making sense in our case, and if so, if you use someone you know personally (not that I've ever asked; this just came to me a few minutes ago), would it cost anything more than the actual transfer? I've heard about surrogacy costing huge amounts, but don't know anything else about it.

I should say that we are very grateful to have a 2.5 year old DD born as a result of IVF, so I know that I can carry a baby, but on the other hand, I know that this could easily change over time (meaning maybe my lining isn't good enough anymore; though I don't understand why).

Thank you all for your help, both as an anon poster and as Hadas!



Me & DH: 38
Married at 32 and TTC right away
2/07: IUI #1 (Clomid only) BFP (No more hb at 9 weeks; D&C)
Through rest of 2007: Multiple IUI's (Clomid or Femara): all BFN
3/08: IVF #1 FSH: 11.6 (highest ever recorded for me) MDL protocol; BFP/chemical
10/08: IVF #2: BFP! DD born 7/09
5/10: Uterine polyp removal
8/10: FET #1: BFP/Chemical
11/10: IVF #3: Retrieval only; transfer postponed due to thin lining
1/11: FET #2: BFN
3/11: FET #3: BFN
12/11: Uh oh... FSH 16
It did seem hopeful in your story though, I was so sure the story would end with BFP...

back in Jan when I got my BFP my lining measured only 6mm at 1dpo, and I went on to get pg that cycle. It ended with m/c at 9 wk but my OB is certain that was not the problem.

I don't know much about surrogacy, but I've heard it is very expensive (much more than an IVF cycle and adoption), but not only because of the person--because of legal issues associated with it. If you have a family member or very close friend that you trust, then you might not have to pay them, but I think the legal fees would stay the same.
Quote
Share

Joined: March 28th, 2011, 5:51 pm

May 8th, 2012, 10:31 pm #4

Thanks for your kind works. RE. surrogacy... not sure it's even something we want to pursue. There are just some things that are hard to grasp (e.g. the idea of your biological child in someone else), though I give tremendous credit to people who do it... it's amazing.

Thanks for your support! I'm very sorry to hear about your m/c...

Me & DH: 38
Married at 32 and TTC right away
2/07: IUI #1 (Clomid only) BFP (No more hb at 9 weeks; D&C)
Through rest of 2007: Multiple IUI's (Clomid or Femara): all BFN
3/08: IVF #1 FSH: 11.6 (highest ever recorded for me) MDL protocol; BFP/chemical
10/08: IVF #2: BFP! DD born 7/09
5/10: Uterine polyp removal
8/10: FET #1: BFP/Chemical
11/10: IVF #3: Retrieval only; transfer postponed due to thin lining
1/11: FET #2: BFN
3/11: FET #3: BFN
12/11: Uh oh... FSH 16
Quote
Like
Share

Erin
Erin

May 9th, 2012, 1:02 pm #5

Hi everyone,
I felt bad about posting continuously as "anon" this or that for the past couple of weeks, but could really use your advice, so I'm coming out!

Some history in addition to the signature... we ran out of fertility insurance coverage, so we decided to try one more time by paying out of pocket for the new "natural" IVF option my clinic is now offering. It's 3 retrievals plus 1 transfer using Clomid for what ends up being, when all fees are added up, just under $10K. We figured why not, let's try.

Retrieval one with Clomid: total bust. Had 3 nice size follies that were all empty.
RE let me move forward with injectibles without raising the price (though we paid for those meds, too).

Retrieval two with injectibles and Ganirelix: had about 4-5 follies in the running, 1 retrieved, beautiful 8 cell grade 1 embryo. For the past year, though, whenever we've done a FET or even fresh transfer, lining has been horrible (usually praying for it to get about 5). I've done it all... Viagra, l-arginine, Estradiol, etc, and still... horrible. This time, it got to 7.5 on its own, so RE said, "My gut says to transfer." So we did... BFN today at 12dp3dt. I'm so sad... I was sort of feeling hopeful... I've been nauseous since yesterday and generally feeling different than in recent cycles.

So now we have the 3rd and last retrieval available to us. We have to see how much it'll cost to pay for an extra transfer.

So I guess I am just asking for advice here on a couple of things. What is the minimum lining you would transfer into? Was it too much of a gamble to move forward with a 7.5? As a side note, at transfer, we asked that RE to tell us how the lining was, fully expecting to hear "8", but he said 5.5. It was measured that day abdominally, so I don't know how accurate it was, but still...

Also, my mother in law, who lives in France and may have a different point of view on this, says, "Why don't you use a surrogate?" Is that a reasonable option in terms of it making sense in our case, and if so, if you use someone you know personally (not that I've ever asked; this just came to me a few minutes ago), would it cost anything more than the actual transfer? I've heard about surrogacy costing huge amounts, but don't know anything else about it.

I should say that we are very grateful to have a 2.5 year old DD born as a result of IVF, so I know that I can carry a baby, but on the other hand, I know that this could easily change over time (meaning maybe my lining isn't good enough anymore; though I don't understand why).

Thank you all for your help, both as an anon poster and as Hadas!



Me & DH: 38
Married at 32 and TTC right away
2/07: IUI #1 (Clomid only) BFP (No more hb at 9 weeks; D&C)
Through rest of 2007: Multiple IUI's (Clomid or Femara): all BFN
3/08: IVF #1 FSH: 11.6 (highest ever recorded for me) MDL protocol; BFP/chemical
10/08: IVF #2: BFP! DD born 7/09
5/10: Uterine polyp removal
8/10: FET #1: BFP/Chemical
11/10: IVF #3: Retrieval only; transfer postponed due to thin lining
1/11: FET #2: BFN
3/11: FET #3: BFN
12/11: Uh oh... FSH 16
I don't have much knowledge around lining or surrogacy to share, but just wanted to say that I'm really sorry about your BFN. I'm glad you have another cycle to go, and it's great news that you can make a great embie, but I know BFNs are really tough regardless. Sending best wishes and so sorry again.
Quote
Share

Teresa
Teresa

May 9th, 2012, 2:08 pm #6

Hi everyone,
I felt bad about posting continuously as "anon" this or that for the past couple of weeks, but could really use your advice, so I'm coming out!

Some history in addition to the signature... we ran out of fertility insurance coverage, so we decided to try one more time by paying out of pocket for the new "natural" IVF option my clinic is now offering. It's 3 retrievals plus 1 transfer using Clomid for what ends up being, when all fees are added up, just under $10K. We figured why not, let's try.

Retrieval one with Clomid: total bust. Had 3 nice size follies that were all empty.
RE let me move forward with injectibles without raising the price (though we paid for those meds, too).

Retrieval two with injectibles and Ganirelix: had about 4-5 follies in the running, 1 retrieved, beautiful 8 cell grade 1 embryo. For the past year, though, whenever we've done a FET or even fresh transfer, lining has been horrible (usually praying for it to get about 5). I've done it all... Viagra, l-arginine, Estradiol, etc, and still... horrible. This time, it got to 7.5 on its own, so RE said, "My gut says to transfer." So we did... BFN today at 12dp3dt. I'm so sad... I was sort of feeling hopeful... I've been nauseous since yesterday and generally feeling different than in recent cycles.

So now we have the 3rd and last retrieval available to us. We have to see how much it'll cost to pay for an extra transfer.

So I guess I am just asking for advice here on a couple of things. What is the minimum lining you would transfer into? Was it too much of a gamble to move forward with a 7.5? As a side note, at transfer, we asked that RE to tell us how the lining was, fully expecting to hear "8", but he said 5.5. It was measured that day abdominally, so I don't know how accurate it was, but still...

Also, my mother in law, who lives in France and may have a different point of view on this, says, "Why don't you use a surrogate?" Is that a reasonable option in terms of it making sense in our case, and if so, if you use someone you know personally (not that I've ever asked; this just came to me a few minutes ago), would it cost anything more than the actual transfer? I've heard about surrogacy costing huge amounts, but don't know anything else about it.

I should say that we are very grateful to have a 2.5 year old DD born as a result of IVF, so I know that I can carry a baby, but on the other hand, I know that this could easily change over time (meaning maybe my lining isn't good enough anymore; though I don't understand why).

Thank you all for your help, both as an anon poster and as Hadas!



Me & DH: 38
Married at 32 and TTC right away
2/07: IUI #1 (Clomid only) BFP (No more hb at 9 weeks; D&C)
Through rest of 2007: Multiple IUI's (Clomid or Femara): all BFN
3/08: IVF #1 FSH: 11.6 (highest ever recorded for me) MDL protocol; BFP/chemical
10/08: IVF #2: BFP! DD born 7/09
5/10: Uterine polyp removal
8/10: FET #1: BFP/Chemical
11/10: IVF #3: Retrieval only; transfer postponed due to thin lining
1/11: FET #2: BFN
3/11: FET #3: BFN
12/11: Uh oh... FSH 16
Hadas,
I'm sorry for your news.
I have a friend who lives in CA. She used a surrogate to carry her twins. I can tell you, she paid about 100K. She had to pay for all medical expenses, legal fees, obviously the IVF, even a clothing allowance. She herself is an attorney and the paper work was extraordinary. When she found out it was twins, it was more money too, whcih brought her to the 100K mark. ( I think the twins were an extra 8K.) There are alot of things they put in a contract, such as if she needs to go on bed rest, you may have to pay for a housekeeper or if her husband has to miss work, you have to pay his salary. I'm sure every case is different but this was her experience.
I wish you the best.
Quote
Share