C ooper callback today-

C ooper callback today-

teresa
teresa

February 14th, 2012, 12:03 am #1

Let me preface this by saying that today I received the letter in the mail which summed up my consult with Dr C heck in Janaury. What timing. I read it several times and I was really glad that he sent this because I can't tell you how many drs offices I have left in the past year and completely forgot everything they said to DH and I regarding all of this.

Since I had to go for a Beta today, I got my callback from the nurse and had a few questions. I didnt get the usual nurse I speak to today, this one was kind of snobby (yes before anyone tells me they are busy etc, I get that they are, but no need to be snotty when someone has questions) I had my questions written down- I'm always organized and was prepared for the call when it came. I had a question about Dr C saying for DH and I NOT to BD until he says (TI)
Her response to me was "it must be your husbands HOS"
I said "it came back normal Dr C said "
she says "it was 67" ( which I have NO clue what this means because all he said was the HOS test wasnt an issue for us.) I tell her we were told all was A-ok with that.
Then she says "it must be the motility then"
Again- I said "he never mentioned this to us" (DH got a clean bill of health with all his SA from not only Dr C heck but from another dr at North Shore LIJ Hospital on LI. His numbers were IDEAL.) WHY IS SHE SAYING THIS TO ME?????
So then she says "well you're going to have to schedule a call back with him then if you want to know" which was fine because I wanted to do that anyway to discuss IVF. SHe told me I need to do that to set up a "green sheet?" I don't know- maybe they were just having a bad day but the call made me feel really bad today. I also had asked her about him mentioning to us in our consult me using a FSH injection this cycle and she couldn't be bothered, all I wanted to know was if she could give a particular drug he might prescribe or 2, so I could be proactive and find out cost as DH and I have to plan financially for the cost of things.
Am I overreacting? Maybe she can't tell me the exact drug he will prescribe, okay. But- I guess my question is...why does he recommend not BDing until u/s and bloods confirm I'm about to ovulate, if DH's sperm is normal? That's all. Its a real question anad it's bugging me, I just wanted an answer. And- is there a particular FSH drug he likes to prescribe for elevated FSHers? He told me closer to ovulation he would boost me with some FSH injections. I was just concerned about $.

NancyMN
NancyMN

February 14th, 2012, 12:18 am #2

Hi! I was hoping you'd get your letter soon, mine was such a nice surprise when I got it and it really made my day!

I don't know how to answer your question about waiting on TI and BD until they tell you to. I don't know if he has a specific one he likes for elevated FSH, but you could start asking about Gonal F and Follistim. This is based on my visit and what they told me they usually prescribe. Their could be others, like menopur (especially for IVF if you end up doing that). I am sure others will have more ideas but you could start with those.

Did you talk to them about doing IVF? How did that go? And will you get to do the sono this cycle? I hope everything goes smoothly for you

jmassage
jmassage

February 14th, 2012, 12:19 am #3

Let me preface this by saying that today I received the letter in the mail which summed up my consult with Dr C heck in Janaury. What timing. I read it several times and I was really glad that he sent this because I can't tell you how many drs offices I have left in the past year and completely forgot everything they said to DH and I regarding all of this.

Since I had to go for a Beta today, I got my callback from the nurse and had a few questions. I didnt get the usual nurse I speak to today, this one was kind of snobby (yes before anyone tells me they are busy etc, I get that they are, but no need to be snotty when someone has questions) I had my questions written down- I'm always organized and was prepared for the call when it came. I had a question about Dr C saying for DH and I NOT to BD until he says (TI)
she says "it was 67" ( which I have NO clue what this means because all he said was the HOS test wasnt an issue for us.) I tell her we were told all was A-ok with that.
Again- I said "he never mentioned this to us" (DH got a clean bill of health with all his SA from not only Dr C heck but from another dr at North Shore LIJ Hospital on LI. His numbers were IDEAL.) WHY IS SHE SAYING THIS TO ME?????
So then she says "well you're going to have to schedule a call back with him then if you want to know" which was fine because I wanted to do that anyway to discuss IVF. SHe told me I need to do that to set up a "green sheet?" I don't know- maybe they were just having a bad day but the call made me feel really bad today. I also had asked her about him mentioning to us in our consult me using a FSH injection this cycle and she couldn't be bothered, all I wanted to know was if she could give a particular drug he might prescribe or 2, so I could be proactive and find out cost as DH and I have to plan financially for the cost of things.
Am I overreacting? Maybe she can't tell me the exact drug he will prescribe, okay. But- I guess my question is...why does he recommend not BDing until u/s and bloods confirm I'm about to ovulate, if DH's sperm is normal? That's all. Its a real question anad it's bugging me, I just wanted an answer. And- is there a particular FSH drug he likes to prescribe for elevated FSHers? He told me closer to ovulation he would boost me with some FSH injections. I was just concerned about $.
There is nothing worse then feeling like nurse/doctor doesn't want to take the time to answer our questions. They are a fertility clinic right?? You would think they would be a bit more sensitive. I am not a patient of Dr. Checks, but have heard wonderful things on this board about him, himself. It does seem as though the office is very disorganized though. I have to say that I feel very fortunate to work with the same nurse every time and she always reassures me to call back as many times as I need to with questions. I'm hoping it was just a bad day for them. Still though, I feel bad that it made you feel bad. I hope you get the answers you need in a polite and courteous way.

Teresa
Teresa

February 14th, 2012, 12:43 am #4

Hi! I was hoping you'd get your letter soon, mine was such a nice surprise when I got it and it really made my day!

I don't know how to answer your question about waiting on TI and BD until they tell you to. I don't know if he has a specific one he likes for elevated FSH, but you could start asking about Gonal F and Follistim. This is based on my visit and what they told me they usually prescribe. Their could be others, like menopur (especially for IVF if you end up doing that). I am sure others will have more ideas but you could start with those.

Did you talk to them about doing IVF? How did that go? And will you get to do the sono this cycle? I hope everything goes smoothly for you
I loved it, too!! Thought "wow what a great idea" He is so wonderful, I really like him and how he does things there.
I mentioned to the nurse I want to move to IVF quicker than originally planned and she just told me to call the front desk and request a callback from the wizard himself so- I did, and I have a callback with him next Thursday night. She warned me it might be very late so I will make sure to have a pot of coffee brewing because I am an early bird- asleep by 9 most nights, lol!!
Thanks for mentioning those 2 drgs, Nancy- it helps to have a name..I know it will depend on the amount he Rxes for me- but it will give me a ballpark on $$.
But first things first..when I get AF (supposed to be tomorrow but the fact that I was on P4 may delay it a day or 2?) I call them to scehdule the sono saline...get that done and overwith and take it from there. She told me go to day 2 or 3 blood and ultrasound so thats my next step. Though in the letter that came today, he said do that, then u/s or bloods to determine if I release the egg...this is all still really new to me- Ive never done ANY IF drugs, even the progesterone this cycle was a big deal for me.
Thanks for your reply you are always SO good about writing back, I

Some info... February 13 2012, 4:18 PM

teresa
teresa

February 14th, 2012, 12:55 am #5

There is nothing worse then feeling like nurse/doctor doesn't want to take the time to answer our questions. They are a fertility clinic right?? You would think they would be a bit more sensitive. I am not a patient of Dr. Checks, but have heard wonderful things on this board about him, himself. It does seem as though the office is very disorganized though. I have to say that I feel very fortunate to work with the same nurse every time and she always reassures me to call back as many times as I need to with questions. I'm hoping it was just a bad day for them. Still though, I feel bad that it made you feel bad. I hope you get the answers you need in a polite and courteous way.
You are so compassionate, Jmassage, thank you. Hopefully I get the nice nurse next time, lol. I agree, you are VERY lucky to just have one nurse to deal with every time. More personal care makes you feel good. It's hard enough long distance and me the perpetually clueless and ignorant one about all these terms and drugs and what does this mean and what does that mean..I know I require alot of patience, but I wish she could have been a little more understanding today with me. Maybe I'm partly to blame though, Im on the brink of AF and everything is always worse at that time. Thank you so much for what you wrote, its amazing how words can make you feel 1000x better from someone who "gets it" PS- you are staying in my prayers that you continue to get good news, but I just know you will!!! I will peek in on you on the other board!! Congratulations, and enjoy your special night with your DH! Hugs to you

February 14th, 2012, 1:19 am #6

I don't like posting names, but there is one nurse there that I always have trouble with. Whenever she calls, I just try to end the call early. Most of them are very nice however.

teresa
teresa

February 14th, 2012, 1:25 am #7

ok, so maybe it's NOT me...when i answered the phone, she mumbled her name and i didnt catch what it was, (it was not j ackie)
im mad at myself for not asking her name again before i got off the phone. now that i think of it it, this one- im pretty sure i had her once before and she was abrupt. bet its the same one.

Mrs. McIrish
Mrs. McIrish

February 14th, 2012, 1:29 am #8

Teresa,
I feel for you because I think it would be TOUGH to be a "treatment novice" at C.ooper. Since I have done a lot of treatments elsewhere including 2 IVF's I know the lingo and what to ask. Without that knowledge, I think it would be very hard and I wish I could make it easier for you.

I don't know why you aren't supposed to BD until you get a positive. No ideas on that if DH is fine.

Drugs: your insurance may prefer one brand over another and that will dictate which one you should use. Follistim and Gonal F are the "same" thing and are gonadatrophins. Menopur is also a stim and is half LH and half FSH. Cetrotide and ganirelix are the "same" but different brands that will prevent premature O(brings the LH down). These are used when you need to slow down a big follie to give smaller ones time to catch up. Maybe this will help a little:
http://www.fertilitydr.com/fertility-drugs-fsh.html

NancyMN
NancyMN

February 14th, 2012, 1:38 am #9

I loved it, too!! Thought "wow what a great idea" He is so wonderful, I really like him and how he does things there.
I mentioned to the nurse I want to move to IVF quicker than originally planned and she just told me to call the front desk and request a callback from the wizard himself so- I did, and I have a callback with him next Thursday night. She warned me it might be very late so I will make sure to have a pot of coffee brewing because I am an early bird- asleep by 9 most nights, lol!!
Thanks for mentioning those 2 drgs, Nancy- it helps to have a name..I know it will depend on the amount he Rxes for me- but it will give me a ballpark on $$.
But first things first..when I get AF (supposed to be tomorrow but the fact that I was on P4 may delay it a day or 2?) I call them to scehdule the sono saline...get that done and overwith and take it from there. She told me go to day 2 or 3 blood and ultrasound so thats my next step. Though in the letter that came today, he said do that, then u/s or bloods to determine if I release the egg...this is all still really new to me- Ive never done ANY IF drugs, even the progesterone this cycle was a big deal for me.
Thanks for your reply you are always SO good about writing back, I

Some info... February 13 2012, 4:18 PM

the doses! Yes that most certainly is helpful to know for price. Follistim (and I think Gonal F) come in vials/cartridges. I am only familiar with follistim, but that one comes in 300, 600, and 900 IU cartridges. You pay by the vial, not by the dose. You can usually get extra or partial doses from each vial, anywhere from 25-75MG (at least it's that way for follistim). For IVF, you will probably be prescribed a few of each. I got 1 600 and 1 900. For IUI I always got 1-2 300s.

My guess, if you go with a low-stim which I assume he would, between 75-150IU each dose (# of doses is dependent on how things progress, for example once I did 5 doses of Follistim, and another time 8...so it just depends.) I think Gonal F works the same as for doses (75-150 of GH is the same as 75-150 for FS). Ask about 75Mg/dose for menopur.

Good luck with your call on Thursday, and getting things going with the sonoH I really hope it all works out for you to get things taken care of this cycle I am crossing my fingers for you!

anon for this one
anon for this one

February 14th, 2012, 1:44 am #10

I am sorry you had that experience. I have had similar issues. Hopefully, you well have a better call next time. I think C.heck likes to use Bravelle over gonal f or follistim. He also likes pregnyl over ovidrel. I think c.ooper tends to go with naturally derived med.