But I'm only 29...

But I'm only 29...

September 30th, 2011, 4:15 pm #1

I gave birth prematurely to a beautiful baby boy in Feb 2010 (he's fine and totally healthy). I got pregnant with him after being off BCP for only 1 month. 14 months after he was born, I started waking up at night drenched in sweat. Thought it was due to weaning. Daytime flushing began 2-3 months later. Had some spotting for a period in July, then missed August and September. probably took 8 pregnancy tests during that time, all negative. Called a Dr (just moved, so not my Dr). Had my blood tested Sep 10. FSH = 75, Estradiol = 20. Retested Sept 14 (FSH only) FSH = 35. Intense pain in ovaries and uterus for 10 days started the same day, similar to mid-cycle "mittelschmerz", but lasting much longer. OB did not feel any cysts. Getting an ultrasound today, but the look on the OB's face when she told me my blood results was clear. She's being thorough, but being in menopause is likely. I'm only 29. I'm terrified, devastated and consumed. How do you all get through the days without becoming a basketcase? Has anyone else experienced this and turned out not to be in menopause? Is there any hope for having another baby?

Sara H
Sara H

September 30th, 2011, 5:21 pm #2

First, there is hope and your age is a great asset to you. But, to be very clear, it's a hard road and a crazy roller coaster. Most importantly, you MUST get with a high FSH friendly Dr. If you tell use where you are in the county someone might have a recommendation for you.

If you are in menopause there are still things you can do. There are Dr.s that can help and all sorts of other options. For right now try to keep an open mind and think to yourself what your ultimate goal is: To be a parent again, to be PG again, to have a biological child again, to have a child by a certain time... there are many different paths!

You are totally welcome here and there is also another board specifically for ladies who have already had a child. The link is above. They might have more insight for you.

Here is an informal welcome with a couple of helpful notes!

Good luck to you and I hope we can be of help!

Hello!

I was 'new' here last September and put together some hints, beyond the guild lines listed on the main page, that I think are helpful! Probably stuff you know but I hope it helps!

Welcome!
Sara H.

1) Use the "Search" on this site when you have a question (remember to push "date" so they are in order, recent to last, since you can sometimes get answers from 10 years ago!) Often I have my questions answered right there with no need to post!

2) We use a LOT of acronyms here that are hard to get your head around sometimes if you are new to it! Here are 2 sources:

http://www.ivfconnections.com/forums/co ... 2781df2f22

http://www.fertilityplus.org/faq/acronyms.

3) You will notice in some posts that people are very careful to say in the message title when things involving children and pregnancy are mentioned. So, if at some point you are mentioning pregnancy (hopefully someday yours!) or whatever just put your topic and (PG mentioned) in the title, if you have a child and mention that please put (Child mentioned) so if someone is having a bad day and knows they just can't read about it today they are forewarned! Other "disclaimers" include (DE Mentioned) for donor egg, (Adopt Mentioned) for adoption, (M/C Mentioned) for miscarriage or (TMI!) when something is graphic or very very personal! Basically, anything that someone might rather be warned about before reading. Although we all share one thing in common, we all come from varied backgrounds so we try to be sensitive to that as much as possible.

4) When you need inspiration go peek at the "Pregnant...." board! You can cruise over to check on "friends" who have made it there or when you are feeling down... it's rather joyful to see ladies who have found success!

Good luck!

September 30th, 2011, 6:57 pm #3

thanks for your response, and sorry about being new and not knowing the rules. I just moved to Tucson AZ and went to the UMC OB/GYN clinic to be seen earlier in the month. The OB seemed ok, but she's pretty young (only practicing 3 yr) and I'd really like to find someone with more experience. She's referred me to an RE but the first appt I could get was also a young MD, the older ones had 3-4 month waiting lists for appts. All through the UA-UMC. My us is today...are there any suggestions about what questions I should ask? I don't even know what the OB is going to look for.

Denise
Denise

October 1st, 2011, 3:23 am #4

Dr. Hutchinson at Reproductive health center is very nice. we ended up doing donor egg out of state but he did all monitoring.

Sara H
Sara H

October 1st, 2011, 4:03 am #5

thanks for your response, and sorry about being new and not knowing the rules. I just moved to Tucson AZ and went to the UMC OB/GYN clinic to be seen earlier in the month. The OB seemed ok, but she's pretty young (only practicing 3 yr) and I'd really like to find someone with more experience. She's referred me to an RE but the first appt I could get was also a young MD, the older ones had 3-4 month waiting lists for appts. All through the UA-UMC. My us is today...are there any suggestions about what questions I should ask? I don't even know what the OB is going to look for.
You said, "Thanks for your response, and sorry about being new and not knowing the rules.." please don't worry about it in the least. Even those of us who have been here a while forget now and then!

You have already been to your appointment by now but things to ask are:

1) How do you plan to treat my high FSH
2) What tests do you plan to see why I have high FSH
(Sometime this just happens naturally but sometimes it is cause by high thyroid levels.)
3) How many high FSH patients have you helped?

Even if you are not sure of the answers you want a Dr who has a plan!
Other ladies will pipe in with more advice but I think these are three biggies!

Most Dr. are clueless and old school when it comes to FSH. You might well get shuffled right out the door! But, some aren't. I am so glad another lady already joined in with a Dr. recommendation for you! Great start!

Also, are you getting regular cycles still? If not and you are starting to have hot flashes and all (I was too!) have tell the Dr. that at first you are just there to treat "absence of menstrual cycle" and "early menopause". Tell them that after you get that under control then you will see where you stand for PG. I only say this for money reasons. Unless you have unlimited resource (I would love that to be true!) or unbelievable insurance, most insurance has a cap for infertility issues. But, you can get around that by treating this first, so it's not coming from your infertility insurance money. If you don't have insurance for infertility at all then your insuracne, specially at your age, should cover what they call "Hormonal issues", which high FSH falls under. So, getting coded as something other than infertility can save you thousands. Even when you get your refusal from your GP to the RE make sure they list it as "Hormonal imbalance" or "irregular menstruation". Once you start treating to get pg then you'll have to switch but while they get you back on track this can be a huge help!

Hugs to you and hang in there! My highest FSH was in the 50's and they have me down to 5. That does not cure everything, I still have never gotten PG, but I am also 37, not your age! I think it is worth trying.

Sara H

October 1st, 2011, 3:24 pm #6

I went in for my pelvic sonogram yesterday, and the sonographer found a 1.5 cm cyst in one of my ovaries and said my uterine lining was really thin. She said the cyst looked like a corpus luteum cyst, either b/c I ovulated recently or it was a larger, older cyst that recently ruptured and is resolving. But no cancer, and no PCO. not hugely informative, but my ovaries appear to be functioning, if not quite normally right now. I have another appointment in a week to talk to the OB (a new one, my old one quit. nice.) about what it means, and what her plan is--thanks for the advice on questions to ask.

I wasn't actively trying to get PG when I discovered my issues, I started getting night sweats about 4 months ago, daytime hot flashes followed about a month later, all while on BCP, right after weaning. Then in june, a much lighter period than normal, followed by 2 missed periods and about 8 neg PG tests. That's when I went to the OB, and told her the past 6 months of symptoms, and she ordered the labs.

My referral slip to the Endocrinologist says "29 yo female, no menses 3 mo, high FSH--investigate POF cause/treatment" so it's not being called an infertility issue yet, I don't think.

Denise
Denise

October 1st, 2011, 6:44 pm #7

Sounds like a infertility referral to me good luck!

bigboy
bigboy

October 1st, 2011, 8:48 pm #8

I went in for my pelvic sonogram yesterday, and the sonographer found a 1.5 cm cyst in one of my ovaries and said my uterine lining was really thin. She said the cyst looked like a corpus luteum cyst, either b/c I ovulated recently or it was a larger, older cyst that recently ruptured and is resolving. But no cancer, and no PCO. not hugely informative, but my ovaries appear to be functioning, if not quite normally right now. I have another appointment in a week to talk to the OB (a new one, my old one quit. nice.) about what it means, and what her plan is--thanks for the advice on questions to ask.

I wasn't actively trying to get PG when I discovered my issues, I started getting night sweats about 4 months ago, daytime hot flashes followed about a month later, all while on BCP, right after weaning. Then in june, a much lighter period than normal, followed by 2 missed periods and about 8 neg PG tests. That's when I went to the OB, and told her the past 6 months of symptoms, and she ordered the labs.

My referral slip to the Endocrinologist says "29 yo female, no menses 3 mo, high FSH--investigate POF cause/treatment" so it's not being called an infertility issue yet, I don't think.

hmmm....well, im going to put this as gently as i can...but it is a fertility issue. this, i think, needs to be accepted. no one said that you cant get pregnant again. and "infertility" is typical defined as not being able to conceive for 1 year. although i think that if a problem has been found before you reach that one year mark, then you are dealing with infertility-related issues, like me. i have elevated FSH and very low AMH but was able to conceive 3 times in 7-8 months. the first two were early losses, currently, i am 11 weeks. so by definition i wasnt at the "infertility" level yet, but my stats indicated a definite IF-related problem.
a lot of women have success stories on this board and they are all very informative and helpful.

Sara H
Sara H

October 2nd, 2011, 2:29 pm #9

This was just about insurance, I believe: I think she knows it's infertility but was mentioning the referral off of my comment that if you can get the referral to not say "infertility" they can treat the other symptoms/issues which will be covered by insurance and then, when cycles are normal again (finger's crossed) you can switch over to trying to get PG and then switch the referral to 'infertility issues'. This way you can get back on track before you start dipping into the insurance lifetime max for infertility. Even cruddy insurance will cover 'hormonal issues' and 'absences of menses'. So, by treating the other issues she has first, before calling it 'infertility' you can save a few months of extra billing!

Every little bit can help!

Laura, it sounds like a hopeful appointment. If your ovaries look OK and that was a cyst that is now shrinking this could some of the issue. There is still a lot of road ahead but good to have this info and know it's not something else, like the possibility of cancer.

Good luck to you and keep us informed!

Sara H

bigboy
bigboy

October 2nd, 2011, 3:11 pm #10

oh whoops my bad. i guess i skipped over the insurance part. sorry laura! i hope everything works out with your insurance!