Bad news..

Bad news..

Mrs. McIrish
Mrs. McIrish

February 16th, 2012, 3:32 pm #1

I just got the call and one egg was dead at retrieval. The other only "partially" fertilized so they are watching it to see if it starts to divide and will call me tomorrow. I've never heard of an egg "partially" fertilizing but I can't really think the egg is normal if it can't even fertilize in the normal course. They did not ICSI it. This whole time, I really didn't believe that my eggs were just bad. But after 3 IVF's with really bad results, I am starting to believe that my eggs are just rotten and even too much for even C.heck to save. I feel like we will be driving home tomorrow with an empty ute..

Cee
Cee

February 16th, 2012, 3:59 pm #2

I am so sorry. I don't know what 'partially fertilized' means either. I hope it pulls through, but if it doesn't, I hope they have some insight on what they can do different next cycle!

Houston
Houston

February 16th, 2012, 4:03 pm #3

I just got the call and one egg was dead at retrieval. The other only "partially" fertilized so they are watching it to see if it starts to divide and will call me tomorrow. I've never heard of an egg "partially" fertilizing but I can't really think the egg is normal if it can't even fertilize in the normal course. They did not ICSI it. This whole time, I really didn't believe that my eggs were just bad. But after 3 IVF's with really bad results, I am starting to believe that my eggs are just rotten and even too much for even C.heck to save. I feel like we will be driving home tomorrow with an empty ute..
I am so sorry to hear this. I know how you feel as I had the same thing happen on my first IVF cycle and did not make it to transfer

I am not sure what partially fertilized means, but I think it may be the same thing that happened to me, but was just described in different terms. During my last IVF cycle, CCRM said that I had one egg fertilize and the other one possibly fertilized, but it only had one pronuclei. Apparently, embryos are supposed to have two pronuclei. My embryo with one pronuclei started to divide and was 4 cells on day 3. CCRM said they used to think these embryos were all abnormal, but through their chromosomal testing, learned that sometimes they are perfectly normal. I do not know what the percentage of normals was, but high enough that they wanted to implant the embryo with one pronuclei. They have some sort of theory that maybe the other pronuclei just isn't visible in these embryos, but they are not really sure how they end up normal embryos and babies.

A couple of questions...why did they decide against ICSI? Have you done an IVF with any other protocols?

jmassage
jmassage

February 16th, 2012, 4:05 pm #4

I'm sorry to hear that..on not sure what that means either but sounds nerve racking. It seems like we just can't get a break sometimes. I'll b rooting for your little embryo

NancyMN
NancyMN

February 16th, 2012, 4:10 pm #5

I am sorry to hear this. I have never done IVF and don't knnow what partially fertilized means, but I am hoping the best for you! I hope that you are able to do the transfer and all goes well.

I will be thinking of you!

February 16th, 2012, 4:13 pm #6

So sorry you are going through this

Mrs. McIrish
Mrs. McIrish

February 16th, 2012, 4:13 pm #7

I am so sorry to hear this. I know how you feel as I had the same thing happen on my first IVF cycle and did not make it to transfer

I am not sure what partially fertilized means, but I think it may be the same thing that happened to me, but was just described in different terms. During my last IVF cycle, CCRM said that I had one egg fertilize and the other one possibly fertilized, but it only had one pronuclei. Apparently, embryos are supposed to have two pronuclei. My embryo with one pronuclei started to divide and was 4 cells on day 3. CCRM said they used to think these embryos were all abnormal, but through their chromosomal testing, learned that sometimes they are perfectly normal. I do not know what the percentage of normals was, but high enough that they wanted to implant the embryo with one pronuclei. They have some sort of theory that maybe the other pronuclei just isn't visible in these embryos, but they are not really sure how they end up normal embryos and babies.

A couple of questions...why did they decide against ICSI? Have you done an IVF with any other protocols?
We didn't do ICSI as we never had any sperm issues or fert problems. For IVF#1, I did an EPP with max stims. We got 3 eggs but 1 was not mature. The other 2 fertilized. The embies were 2 and 4 cells on a 2dt but severely fragmented. For IVf#2, I did microdose lupron flare with max stims. We got 2 eggs and both fert naturally. We did a 2dt and one was only 1 cell (stopped dividing) and the other was only 2 cells. Both prior cycles were at B.righam in Boston. This cycle was low stim but I think it all happened too fast as my ER was only on CD10 and my FSH was 24 on cd2. I had a 16mm on cd7. It was a 26mm at ER and I'm thinking that was the dead one. We stumbled across a 15mm yesterday and I'm guessing that is the one that partially fert-- maybe it was too young?

February 16th, 2012, 4:16 pm #8

I am so sorry. I don't know what 'partially fertilized' means either. I hope it pulls through, but if it doesn't, I hope they have some insight on what they can do different next cycle!
Oh McIrish, I was so hoping this was your cycle. Did the nurse give you any insight on what happened?

I would want some answers. Is it possible that they waited to long to trigger you and your largest follicle was over ripe?

Not sure what half fertilized means but on my 1st IVF I had a embryo that on day 2 only had one nucleus. Maybe it's something along those lines?

I wouldn't give up with your OE yet. I have a feeling the problems you ran into last weekend contributed to this outcome. If I recall correctly your dominate follicle was 23 on Monday? It just seems like they should have had you trigger before that. Ususally I trigger around 20. I read somewhere that older eggs do better when you trigger on the early side. I hope you don't mind me stating my opinion here, I just don't want you to feel defeated over this cycle.

{{Huge hugs}} I'm still praying that your one and only is going to finish the fertilizing process and you go home with one healthy little embryo on board.

Mrs. McIrish
Mrs. McIrish

February 16th, 2012, 4:24 pm #9

Of course I don't mind your comments. Yes, I wonder if this weekend's events lead to this disaster. I had a 16 on Saturday and it was a 23 by Monday. It was a 26 yesterday before the ER. Maybe I needed to trigger on Sunday. A 26 sounds way to big to me and I'm guessing it was the dead one. It was hard to understand the person that called me due to her accent. I had to ask stuff several times as I just didn't know what she said. So that was frustrating. I don't know anything about the nuclei status. I will definitely set up a C/heck call back once I get the final word to go home tomorrow. I also think I need a cycle where I take estinyl before AF shows up so I can get past a CD10 retrieval. That's probably just too early to be any good.

Dr. Brasile also thinks I have a polyp that they saw on yesterday's u/s before ER. So now I need to get a sonohistogram(I think that is what she said) and probably get it removed. That will sideline me for a cycle or two. I'm just so tired of all the treatment as many of you can relate to.

Nadia
Nadia

February 16th, 2012, 4:41 pm #10

I really don't have any medical advise or terms to say. But .. Hopefully a bfp next time. Arent there supplements one can use for egg quality?

(((hugs))))