Autoimmune

Autoimmune

December 20th, 2011, 1:14 am #1

Hi! Has anyone had autoimmune testing? Anyone familiar with parathyroidism? I have been starting to think that my DOR/POF diagnosis could be linked to autoimmune and I recently saw the blurb below on a IF website. I was diagnosed about five years ago with Parathyroidism. Although, very rare in someone my age, I have been assured that it is not connected to my IF and lack of pregnancy but now I am wondering. Any information or experience with this would be so greatly appreciated. TIA

"Autoimmune causes of premature ovarian failure
Women with POF can have autoimmune dysfunction of other endocrine organs. Therefore, it is prudent to screen for these conditions. The organ associations are:

Thyroid disease (most common)
Parathyroids
Adrenals"

December 20th, 2011, 1:15 am #2

Sorry for the double post. Is there a way to delete one? Thanks.

Cee
Cee

December 20th, 2011, 2:30 am #3

Hi! Has anyone had autoimmune testing? Anyone familiar with parathyroidism? I have been starting to think that my DOR/POF diagnosis could be linked to autoimmune and I recently saw the blurb below on a IF website. I was diagnosed about five years ago with Parathyroidism. Although, very rare in someone my age, I have been assured that it is not connected to my IF and lack of pregnancy but now I am wondering. Any information or experience with this would be so greatly appreciated. TIA

Women with POF can have autoimmune dysfunction of other endocrine organs. Therefore, it is prudent to screen for these conditions. The organ associations are:

Parathyroids
Adrenals"
of various different conditions that can be associated with POF/DOR. I do not appear to have any of those, my thyroid is normal, I was tested for Fragile X, etc. But I think if you are curious you should get tested, if you have the coverage for it. For me, it wasn't worth it to keep going through the testing as it goes against my lifetime max on my insurance, and because, let's face it, it won't matter if I find out the reason, you know? I'm still going to have early menopause, and still have to deal with my dwindling supply of eggs.

But like I said, if you have the coverage, go for it! GL!

Oh, and we can't delete posts, we have a MIA moderator.

December 20th, 2011, 3:12 am #4

Yeah, I also think that there is no need to know the why. I just thought that maybe it was some sort of autoimmune issue that is keeping the embies from implanting. The two IVF cycles that I have made it to ET, the embies always look decent on paper. I could be completely off base but just trying to cover all possibilities.

December 20th, 2011, 3:45 am #5

Parathyroids
Adrenals"
I had a script from my 2nd RE for immunity testing. When I got to Quest they spent 1 hr trying to figure it out and couldn't understand it. I ended up leaving and just never followed up with it. Perhaps it is not as common. I will say I don't believe this theory is at all hogwash. I have an autoimmune already - another type - no where near related to IF but autoimmune basically means your own cells/tissues attacking themselves. So once you have one autoimmune you are more likely to develop another. To some researchers endometriosis is a form of autoimmune as well. I think it's worth looking into for sure. In my situation I eventually did conceive so if it is autoimmune it has simply destroyed much of the eggs on my ovaries and there is no way to get that back. But issues with the thyroid et al are often treatable. It may be you need to look outside the area of RE and maybe an endocrinologist or even start with your primary. Are you near a teaching hospital? Perhaps start there. Best of luck to you!

Mrs. MicIrish
Mrs. MicIrish

December 20th, 2011, 3:24 pm #6

Sorry for the double post. Is there a way to delete one? Thanks.
I've heard that Dr. T.ortoriello at SIRM in NY tests for all sorts of immune issues. That might be a good place for you to go. He does phone consults for $250 (not covered by ins) on Saturdays if you don't want to go to NYC for a consult.

Laura
Laura

December 20th, 2011, 3:29 pm #7

Parathyroids
Adrenals"
Babies born to mothers with untreated thyroid problems are known to have lower IQs. Thyroid testing should be easily ordered and covered through your GP. Pg women with untreated thyroid problems are also at a higher risk for preterm labor and miscarriage. Thyroid hormones are safe to take during pg. I'm surprised it wasn't ordered in your very first b/w after they diagnosed DOR/POF. Ask to have all 3 tested; usually a GP will only order T3 and T4 if TSH comes back "out of range", but if you're close to one end or the other, there could still T3/T4 problems.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

December 20th, 2011, 4:46 pm #8

Parathyroids
Adrenals"
Hi,

I do not have a known autoimmune issue, but I did have some immune testing done and it turned out that I had elevated NK cells. I did a full immune protocol with my last cycle. I definitely think that with parathyroidism, it may be worth looking into. You might want to take a look at and join the following yahoo group on reproductive immune issues:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/immunologysupport/

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 20th, 2011, 6:03 pm #9

High calcium and ANY PTH LEVEL that is not very low means you have hyperparathyroidism.

http://parathyroid.com/diagnosis.htm

Good idea for all POF & DOR to get these tested!

December 20th, 2011, 9:04 pm #10

I've heard that Dr. T.ortoriello at SIRM in NY tests for all sorts of immune issues. That might be a good place for you to go. He does phone consults for $250 (not covered by ins) on Saturdays if you don't want to go to NYC for a consult.
Thank you McIrish that is great to know about the consult and the name. Talk to you soon.