Any runners out there?

Any runners out there?

BabyDance
BabyDance

January 22nd, 2012, 2:21 am #1

What do you think about running during your cycle? I've read it's not good to do when dealing with infertility. But, I want to to run. I will probably do less and go slower, but still run. Any thoughts about this?

Laura
Laura

January 22nd, 2012, 2:42 am #2

I exercise a lot. Almost every day I run or spin and have for many years. I conceived DS quickly with the same exercise routine. I know that "excessive" exercise can impede ovulation, and that if you have too low BMI you can have too low e2 since it's stored in fat. But I don't think anything less than 1 hr per day can be excessive.

Exercise has been a huge source of stress relief for me. I had normal ovulation this cycle for the first time in months and my exercise routine hasn't changed. If anything, I tried to take it easier after I was diagnosed with DOR but have just started to get back into my regular routine.

January 22nd, 2012, 2:53 am #3

What do you think about running during your cycle? I've read it's not good to do when dealing with infertility. But, I want to to run. I will probably do less and go slower, but still run. Any thoughts about this?
I think JulesM is a big runner (nt)

BabyDance
BabyDance

January 22nd, 2012, 3:02 am #4

I meant running during your period specifically, not the whole cycle. I don't plan on slowing down the rest of my cycle, but wondering if I should while I'm bleeding (it's so little at this point, 41, high fsh), I wonder if it's not good to do. Thanks for responding. I have mentioned before that the women I know that conceived easily in their 40's were VERY active. But, with already high FSH, I wonder if slowing down just during your period is advisable.... hmmmmm...

MargieD
MargieD

January 22nd, 2012, 3:51 am #5

I used to run 6-7 miles a day. I talked to two different REs and they were of different opinions - yes and no.

Having DD took 5 years - I tried everything - no exercise, little exercise, short runs, long runs, etc. etc. When it was time to do the IVF cycle for DD, I stopped completely. I didn't want any regrets.

AF never slowed down no matter how many miles I ran (5-6 days long). I always thought it was fine as long as it didn't interfere with AF. Of course - that depends on who you talk to.

When I got comfortable with the pregnancy, I resumed walking. I was able to walk 5 miles a day up to the day before I was induced (DD was two weeks late). Walking was supposed to help induce... YEAH RIGHT!!! (I had to be pumped full of drugs...)

A few months after DD was born, I went back to running. After a couple of months and no success and getting more serious about TTCing, I stopped.

A friend of mine who is TTCing said that she read some recent study that up to 10 miles a week was fine.

I don't know...I just don't know.... I'm just glad it's winter and I have an excuse not to run right now (besides TTCing)...

Whitney
Whitney

January 22nd, 2012, 4:01 am #6

and I ran during my IVF cycle. I only stopped and started walking during my 2ww and restarted after I got a positive. If your body is use to it then you have nothing to worry about.

anon10
anon10

January 22nd, 2012, 1:37 pm #7

and always ran through AF cycles unless it was really a really heavy or crampy day. It never impacted my AF cycles. I choose to not run during IVF cycles and only resume if I get a BFN.

JulesM
JulesM

January 22nd, 2012, 3:59 pm #8

I think JulesM is a big runner (nt)
She told me that I should cut back when TTC to help blood flow go to my reproductive organs rather than my leg muscles, etc. I did cut back to about 5 miles 4 days a week rather than 7 miles. Not a huge difference but for someone use to the 7 miles I felt it was a big deal. I needed it to kep me sane when TTC.

smrc
smrc

January 22nd, 2012, 5:06 pm #9

acupuncturist who said don't run in 2ww. The idea was to cut out anything that could harm/hinder implantation. I run and have never stopped during my period. During my last period, after my chemical pg, I exercised throughout (tennis, running, yoga) and feel like it all helped to get blood flow to my uterus and bring beta back to zero more quickly. It also helped me feel better more generally. If you're not doing super long runs, I wouldn't be too concerned about this. Just my 2 cents. smrc

smrc
smrc

January 22nd, 2012, 8:35 pm #10

maybe moderate exercise is ok but where you start to go "extreme" where your body goes into semi-emergency mode/diverts blood flow, this is where you draw the line? the question is how do you know where the line is