Am I Hopeless?

Am I Hopeless?

May 10th, 2012, 1:05 am #1

Hi ladies- I have been out of touch since I had a traumatic experience in January unrelated to infertility. Basically, my hair is falling out and completely destroyed from a keratin treatment. I know it sounds foolish, but I am devastated over this and it hasn't gotten any better in 4 months. I purchased 3 rounds of mini IVF in December and have put my life on hold b/c of my hair. Its pathetic. I know. I am just petrified that any little trigger will cause more hair loss. Hormones, BCP, anything. I HAD beautiful, thick hair and now it is destroyed. I dont think I can ever get over this. Anyway, I am still 36 and already wasted 4 months so I thought I would try an natural IUI this cycle. Went and got my FSH tested and lucky me- 20! How friggin pathetic. I am single, losing my hair and have a 20 FSH. What could be worse? Life is so hard for me right now. I just had 3 martinis to cope. My question is: is it even worth it to do the IUI? It cost $600 for DS and another $500 for IUI. Am I kidding myself? How do I let my fears of hairloss get me through this? I feel like I am dying a slow death. I already had 3 failed IUIs with high stims. One being a failed IVF cycle. Sorry, I am tears right now. I just can't get over this.

Laura
Laura

May 10th, 2012, 2:27 am #2

Hair is a such a big part of our appearances, and it sucks when it doesn't cooperate with us! I hope you got your money back from the salon that did the treatment! Well, the good news is that I don't think hair loss is a side effect of most hormones; if anything, they might help it grow back! Maybe someone can correct me, but I've never experienced any loss as a result from treatment.

A FSH of 20 is not hopeless. I got pg in Jan with a CD3 FSH=22. My pg ended with mc before 9 wk, but my OB is certain it had nothing to do with that and I am too.

Is your RE high-FSH friendly? If they are they might work on lowering your FSH first before jumping into IUI or IVF cycles. Not that having a high FSH means you can't cycle, but it does mean that your ovaries need a bigger jump start to recruit follicles, which would result in a lower AFC for that cycle. Lowering FSH can be done with a regimen of estradiol along with some natural supplements. If your RE is not high-FSH friendly, you need to find one that is because they will just continue to make you sound hopeless.

Take care!

Jainee
Jainee

May 10th, 2012, 12:34 pm #3

Hi ladies- I have been out of touch since I had a traumatic experience in January unrelated to infertility. Basically, my hair is falling out and completely destroyed from a keratin treatment. I know it sounds foolish, but I am devastated over this and it hasn't gotten any better in 4 months. I purchased 3 rounds of mini IVF in December and have put my life on hold b/c of my hair. Its pathetic. I know. I am just petrified that any little trigger will cause more hair loss. Hormones, BCP, anything. I HAD beautiful, thick hair and now it is destroyed. I dont think I can ever get over this. Anyway, I am still 36 and already wasted 4 months so I thought I would try an natural IUI this cycle. Went and got my FSH tested and lucky me- 20! How friggin pathetic. I am single, losing my hair and have a 20 FSH. What could be worse? Life is so hard for me right now. I just had 3 martinis to cope. My question is: is it even worth it to do the IUI? It cost $600 for DS and another $500 for IUI. Am I kidding myself? How do I let my fears of hairloss get me through this? I feel like I am dying a slow death. I already had 3 failed IUIs with high stims. One being a failed IVF cycle. Sorry, I am tears right now. I just can't get over this.
Please check your thyroid- might be the reason why you are losing your hair...........

Houston
Houston

May 10th, 2012, 2:48 pm #4

IUI with an FSH of 20 is not hopeless. I have an FSH of 32. I just asked my doc my chance of success with an IUI with one follicle. He said 10%. And my husband has a morphology problem which he took into account. I thought that was actually pretty good considering my chance with IVF isn't much higher.

Is your hair still falling out? If so, maybe it has nothing to do with the keratin treatment. I agree with the suggestion of having your thyroid checked. When I was young I had a slow thyroid and this caused significant hair loss. Fortunately, once it was corrected, it all grew back. That being said, I do not believe you should stall your life or any plans as a result of hair loss. I also do not think the hormones will cause you any hair loss.

Houston
Houston

May 10th, 2012, 2:56 pm #5

To add to my reply above, I also experienced hair loss at one point in my life, so I understand how you feel and know how important hair is, but to answer your question, there are worse things than hair loss and high FSH. I could name several, death of a loved one, a debilitating disease, etc. I don't want to minimize your feelings, but just put things in perspective. It sounds like your hair may represent more to you than just hair. Have you thought about talking to a therapist about this issue? Please don't take this as rude because I really don't mean to be, but I am unsure of how else to convey this. I am just a little concerned about some of the statements in your post and wonder if you could use a little more help dealing with some of these issues.