advice - when to change course, IUI

advice - when to change course, IUI

jnoels
jnoels

September 13th, 2011, 12:34 am #1

Day 3 today - went in for bloods and ultrasound. Only 3 follicles. Feeling really discouraged. This will be our third cycle with Check - and I know that's not long - I'm just wondering how long to stick with one protocol before advocating for something different. Right now we're just doing P4 support in the luteal phase.

I also found out that while my insurance won't pay for the monitoring we're currently doing, they will pay for IUI and the tests, procedures, etc leading up to it. I'm thinking about pushing for that next cycle, if nothing comes of this one. Anyone have thoughts on that for me?

Thanks!

Jamie
Jamie

September 13th, 2011, 12:41 am #2

Quick question--how old are you? If you are 28 I can see taking your time and seeing what happens; if you are 38 then I'd press to move forward.

Cee
Cee

September 13th, 2011, 12:55 am #3

Day 3 today - went in for bloods and ultrasound. Only 3 follicles. Feeling really discouraged. This will be our third cycle with Check - and I know that's not long - I'm just wondering how long to stick with one protocol before advocating for something different. Right now we're just doing P4 support in the luteal phase.

I also found out that while my insurance won't pay for the monitoring we're currently doing, they will pay for IUI and the tests, procedures, etc leading up to it. I'm thinking about pushing for that next cycle, if nothing comes of this one. Anyone have thoughts on that for me?

Thanks!
You can call and schedule a phone consult with Dr Check if you'd like to discuss the options with him. But I agree with PP, it depends on your age and your situation. Word of warning though - in my experience with IUIs and Check, they'll monitor the crap out of you, so it could get pricey.

jnoels
jnoels

September 13th, 2011, 1:26 am #4

I'm 35. TTC for a year and half, have had two miscarriages and one chemical.
I feel like they're monitoring the crap out of me now - last month I went in 4 times before ovulation, and then two times after. It looks like with IUI, my insurance will cover more of those trips.

Thanks for the phone consult tip - how do you schedule one? Do I use a callback form and say that I want to speak with the man himself?

Cee
Cee

September 13th, 2011, 1:42 am #5

And say you're a current patient and would like to schedule a phone consult with Dr. Check. It may take awhile. If my memory is right, they're on Tuesdays and can be pretty late. Mine was at like almost 11:30 central time.

AJ
AJ

September 13th, 2011, 3:16 pm #6

Thanks!
I hear you on the monitoring. I did it for 3 months and couldn't take it anymore! I was in so often it was like 6 months worth. My insurance doesn't pay for anything as well so we're taking a break. But if your insurance will cover most costs of monitoring with an IUI cycle, I say do it. Does your insurance have a limit of how many you can do? Do they require you do IUI before moving to IVF? I guess I would take those things into consideration but see no reason why you couldn't move to IUI's.

September 14th, 2011, 9:01 pm #7

Thanks!
I would move right to injectibles/IUI actually, especially if your insurance pays for it. I think at your age, if you want to have a couple kids you want to speed things up. I actually regret doing clomid/injectables for so long before moving on to IVF. Doctors will do the same thing forever so you definitely have to be your own advocate. Good luck! I had success with low antral count so don't get discouraged!

jkl