accupuncture?

accupuncture?

May 22nd, 2011, 1:21 pm #1

what is the consensus aboutthis? im starting it on tuesday. she wants me to go 1X a week but i might only go 2-3 times a month as insurance only covers 60% of it. im kind of looking forward to starting it...she comes highly recommended for infertility and has had success with DOR. im sure it's not "the answer" but it would be great if it helps a smidge....of course when i asked the RE's nurse about this she didnt call me back - so i said f*ck it ill just start it up my self. i hate my RE's nurss btw.and she is the only one i can deal with.

May 22nd, 2011, 2:32 pm #2

That at best, the electrical acupuncture helps a little. But honestly there are also studies that show it hurts more than it helps. I tried it and that month, I developed an 8cm cyst on the left, only had one follie on the right ( I usually have 4-6) and my cycle was cancelled. I stopped it and the cyst went away and my AFC went back up. But I was also doing other things so who knows what it was for sure. What is certain is that there are quite a few research studies out there on this issue and they really have provided little evidence of the helpfulness of acupuncture.

May 22nd, 2011, 4:00 pm #3

what is the consensus aboutthis? im starting it on tuesday. she wants me to go 1X a week but i might only go 2-3 times a month as insurance only covers 60% of it. im kind of looking forward to starting it...she comes highly recommended for infertility and has had success with DOR. im sure it's not "the answer" but it would be great if it helps a smidge....of course when i asked the RE's nurse about this she didnt call me back - so i said f*ck it ill just start it up my self. i hate my RE's nurss btw.and she is the only one i can deal with.
I wouldn't waste the time or money. My very worst cycle was after seven (very expensive, out of pocket) months of acupunture.

Works for some. Not for me.

good luck!

May 22nd, 2011, 4:37 pm #4

some folks swear by it...i did it for a year (i cannot believe how long its been since this ttc thing started its depressing)....did herbs for 6 months ...following a follistim cycle i had hot flashes and my system completely shut down the herbs helped get rid of those but the acupuncture did nothing for me. Plus the acupuncturist turned out to be a B*** coz she kept telling me i am a hopeless case so I fired her!

I do fertility yoga now and i feel thats so much better! its a form of exercise and therapy and u do actual poses to help increase blood flow to the ovaries and uterus.

if u have the means no harm giving acupuncture a shot.

gisg

sarita
sarita

May 22nd, 2011, 4:44 pm #5

I've been doing acupuncture for about 6 months. It hasn't gotten me pregnant but I think it has helped lower my fsh. I tend to sleep better and feel less stress out when I go once a week so that's got to be something good! It also helps with digestion, etc. My acupuncturist is incredibly positive so if anything I feel like I have a cheerleader when I see her. Finally, I've heard it's very helpful when doing IVF and my dr. is supportive of it (but not the herbs). That's been my experience but everyone is different. Hope this helps.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

May 22nd, 2011, 5:04 pm #6

I was into accu long before I knew about it for IF. I was doing it for my back. That, and cupping. Loved it. and it helped my back.

I then started it for IF and did it for at least a year or more (can't remember exact now) and it did NOTHING for me other than relax me, (not terrible but not the intended results). I first did accu to TTC on my own and then did as part of my very first 2 IVF cycles (which ended up being cancelled due to poor response). In the end, accu was getting in the way of my life and DH was getting super annoyed with the impact to our schedule. TTC and IF creates a whole different set of tensions and the frequency of accu appts was eating into time we could be using to connect with each other. That, plus the costs, plus the lack of results for IF, made it a no brainer to stop going.

If you're ok with spending the time and money and actually enjoy it, then I say go. Otherwise, I'd skip it.

Personally, I'd spend the money on a weekly massage. For me, that does wonders. I don't go to the spa; I have this really great massage therapist I use and her fee is very reasonable and she does a fantastic job.

Lauren
Lauren

May 22nd, 2011, 5:39 pm #7

Man I'm really up for this massage idea!!

My RE did highly suggest doing DHEA but this feels pretty minor in comparison to the regimen I was planning to do to myself, with tons of pills and shots of wheatgrass. But I just can't find the energy to do it, and I honestly feel like a failure. I think we get the message so often that we MUST do all of these things, and somewhere a message gets embedded in there that if we don't do all these things, we didn't try hard enough.

Lauren
Lauren

May 22nd, 2011, 5:41 pm #8

BAh I hit post too early. Anyways, he even mentioned that I could do acupuncture if I really wanted, but that in general he didn't know that it would make that much of a difference really at this point. He surely did not discourage me at all, and they even partner with a local acupuncture clinic, so I know he supports it, but he also felt that it's pretty much a toss up. No harm, but not so sure that it does much of anything for the eggs themselves

May 22nd, 2011, 5:56 pm #9

wow, thanks for the great replies.. ....if my insurance wasnt covering some of it, i doubt i would bother....someone mentioned getting a massage instead....but my insurance wont cover massages! ; ) would so so cool if it did.

KarenNJ
KarenNJ

May 22nd, 2011, 6:02 pm #10

before our second IVF cycle. I can't remember the details, unfortunately,but my lining was much thicker for the second cycle (something like 12mm+?). I attribute that difference to the many acupuncture sessions I had leading up to that cycle. And in that cycle I became pg with twins (who are now 10 years old).

Of course, this is only anecdotal and may not be supported by the current research on acupuncture and fertility. But I thought I'd share it with you anyway!

With all very best to you,

xoxo Karen