6DPO ultrasound and gluten intolerance?

6DPO ultrasound and gluten intolerance?

Sara Q
Sara Q

January 23rd, 2012, 1:10 am #1

Hey All,

I hope you are all having a great weekend. It's pouring rain here and DH, the doggie, and I are curled up on the couch, watching football. It's kinda nice.

Earlier today, I was thinking about a couple of things and thought I'd see what you all had to say.....

First, why does Cooper do a 6DPO ultrasound? I've never heard of doing this before (the 2 different REs I've gone to for IVF, IUI, and TI haven't done them.) What is the purpose of this ultrasound? Is it only done after IVF or all cycles? I'm going to see Check at the end of February, because I'll be on the east coast at that time anyway for work, but if a 6DPO ultrasound is a good idea, maybe I could do one at my local RE's office for this cycle....

Second, has anyone had a test to see if they are gluten intolerant - for Celiac Disease? Apparently if you are intolerant, it can lead to infertility. If that's the case, why did none of the 5 (!) REs I've consulted with suggest that I get tested for it? I have terrible stomach problems and did try to cut gluten out a year or so ago. But to be honest, I didn't get a test because I've just gotten used to my digestive issues and no RE or anyone said anything about it being important.

What have been your experiences or what are your thoughts about this? I am going to go get a test this week - (and believe me, I will feel HORRIBLE if I end up having it and took this long to get tested. But it's definitely better to go have it checked out, right?

Eager to hear your thoughts,
Sara Q

Laura
Laura

January 23rd, 2012, 1:47 am #2

Celiac disease is a type of autoimmune disorder. This means that your body's immune system is attacking itself. People with Celiac Disease have this problem. For some people, the autoimmune response affects reproductive organs, but not all. However not all gluten intolerance is Celiac Disease.

minka
minka

January 23rd, 2012, 2:42 am #3

Hey All,

I hope you are all having a great weekend. It's pouring rain here and DH, the doggie, and I are curled up on the couch, watching football. It's kinda nice.

Earlier today, I was thinking about a couple of things and thought I'd see what you all had to say.....

First, why does Cooper do a 6DPO ultrasound? I've never heard of doing this before (the 2 different REs I've gone to for IVF, IUI, and TI haven't done them.) What is the purpose of this ultrasound? Is it only done after IVF or all cycles? I'm going to see Check at the end of February, because I'll be on the east coast at that time anyway for work, but if a 6DPO ultrasound is a good idea, maybe I could do one at my local RE's office for this cycle....

Second, has anyone had a test to see if they are gluten intolerant - for Celiac Disease? Apparently if you are intolerant, it can lead to infertility. If that's the case, why did none of the 5 (!) REs I've consulted with suggest that I get tested for it? I have terrible stomach problems and did try to cut gluten out a year or so ago. But to be honest, I didn't get a test because I've just gotten used to my digestive issues and no RE or anyone said anything about it being important.

What have been your experiences or what are your thoughts about this? I am going to go get a test this week - (and believe me, I will feel HORRIBLE if I end up having it and took this long to get tested. But it's definitely better to go have it checked out, right?

Sara Q
If your gluten allergy test comes back negative, you could be sensitive (not necessarily allergic) to another food if you have digestive issues. Look up food sensitivities online... There are a few (costly) blood tests you can do such as Alcat, or you can try an elimination diet where you restrict your diet to certain foods and then (assuming you feel better) start adding the different food types back into your diet until you get your symptoms back, then you will know which foods you are sensitive to.

minka
minka

January 23rd, 2012, 2:47 am #4

Hey All,

Sara Q
H.pylori is a stomach infection that can give you horrible stomach problems (I used to have it). To me, it felt like really strong hunger pangs, especially when my stomach was empty. When it got worse, I would get horrible gas and cramping in my stomach/abdomen about 15 mins after eating. To detect it, your family Dr. Can request a simple blood test for you. It is treated with a strong course of antibiotics. Just another idea to consider... Good luck!

January 23rd, 2012, 4:54 am #5

Hey All,

Sara Q
They do b/w and u/s.  B/W to check P4 and E2 to make sure that levels are appropriate to their standards and if not, make medication adjustments.  U/S to make sure that your uterine lining has changed patterns.  They definitely do this after IVF cycles and would normally request it even for TI cycles, at least initially.

It's a matter of philosophy.  Some REs feel that this is unnecessary.

jnoels
jnoels

January 23rd, 2012, 3:51 pm #6

Hey All,

Sara Q
The 6DPO u/s....
Cooper only did this for me the first two months i cycled with them; it was my understanding that they did it to check the uterine lining. I never did IVF with them, just TI and and later IUI, but they never did the 6dpo u/s after the second month I was with them.

As for gluten intolerance...
I have often wondered this as well about myself, because I also have stomach issues. I brought it up with my first RE, and she was skeptical but agreed to test me for Celiac, and it came back negative. However, the acupuncturist I was seeing around the same time told me several times that she wondered if I had a gluten intolerance (based on my tongue, my pulse, and the fact that she said my body felt like it was retaining water...). After some of my own research and talking with a nutritionist, a few interesting things I found out:

- The blood test for Celiac isn't totally reliable. It's my understanding that it's possible to get a false The only test that is super reliable is where they actualy check out you small intestine.
- You can have a gluten intolerance without actually having Celiac disease, and even just a gluten intolerance can impact fertility.

For me, I decided to give up gluten for a stretch just to see if doing so impacted any of my digestive issues.

Hope this helps!