2 Blocked Tubes - Failed DE - High FSH and TSH -First IVF w own eggs - Can anyone relate?

2 Blocked Tubes - Failed DE - High FSH and TSH -First IVF w own eggs - Can anyone relate?

July 2nd, 2012, 8:11 pm #1

I was diagnosed 5 years ago at 30 with 2 blocked tubes and high FSH (23). My RE told me i needed to go right to Donor Egg, as I wasn't a candidate for IVF with my own eggs due to FSH. He said my uterus was great and that he could get me pregnant w DE. Well after $25,000, 1 fresh and 2 frozen cycles (all same donor)- i am still not pregnant. I never even got a chemical pregnancy - nothing.

So here we are 5 years later at 35 and at a new RE. Since then Ive had FSH levels at 8, 15, 22. This new RE is willing to try IVF with my own eggs. Naturally I'm cautiously looking forward to seeing what happens. I start stims with Follistim next week. i will also be taking Ganerelix.

This RE also noticed my TSH was consistently at 3.75 and he felt that was too high so he put me on synthroid and got me down to 2.1

I was just wondering if anyone can relate to any of this? has anyone ever had success after failing at Donor Egg then trying with their own eggs and succeeding? Or maybe you know of stories of others who have? Just looking for a little hope..

MargieD
MargieD

July 2nd, 2012, 8:22 pm #2

I have read reports of women getting pregnant after a failed DE cycle. In fact, there was a woman who posted on the Preg board. I don't know if she still checks in, but you might want to check there and the DE boards. There's also women who have gotten pregnant naturally after a successful DE cycle.

In addition, I have read reports of women getting pregnant - I believe naturally - after getting their TSH levels under 2.0.

Good luck!

Houston
Houston

July 2nd, 2012, 9:37 pm #3

I was diagnosed 5 years ago at 30 with 2 blocked tubes and high FSH (23). My RE told me i needed to go right to Donor Egg, as I wasn't a candidate for IVF with my own eggs due to FSH. He said my uterus was great and that he could get me pregnant w DE. Well after $25,000, 1 fresh and 2 frozen cycles (all same donor)- i am still not pregnant. I never even got a chemical pregnancy - nothing.

So here we are 5 years later at 35 and at a new RE. Since then Ive had FSH levels at 8, 15, 22. This new RE is willing to try IVF with my own eggs. Naturally I'm cautiously looking forward to seeing what happens. I start stims with Follistim next week. i will also be taking Ganerelix.

This RE also noticed my TSH was consistently at 3.75 and he felt that was too high so he put me on synthroid and got me down to 2.1

I was just wondering if anyone can relate to any of this? has anyone ever had success after failing at Donor Egg then trying with their own eggs and succeeding? Or maybe you know of stories of others who have? Just looking for a little hope..

I can't relate to trying donor eggs because I have not tried them, but it sounds like the reason for the IVF faiing may have been the donor or the lab, and not with you. I see no reason why you can't try with your own eggs. It may be a little more difficult than for some because of the high FSH, but there are a ton of woman on this board and others that have had success with high FSH. I would just make sure you have an RE that has had good success treating lots of high FSH patients.

Jamie
Jamie

July 2nd, 2012, 9:55 pm #4

My RE would not have given a hoot about your FSH and would have found you to be a good candidate because you were 30. At 35 you still have very good odds. It does indeed sound like the donor or the lab. One other thing I would wonder about is your husband's sperm. Has he been thoroughly, thoroughly checked? He should probably have an SCSA test; here's a link if you are unfamiliar: https://www.scsadiagnostics.com/about-the-test

Have you been thoroughly checked for any immune issues that may inhibit implantation?

Wishing you the best!

July 2nd, 2012, 11:36 pm #5

I won't go into my whole story so in a nut shell, pregnant on my own (mc at 12.5 weeks), 3 years of IF hell (high fsh/dor) nothing worked, moved on to DE didn't work, only to get pregnant naturally. My LO was born this year.
Don't give up! Its a very tough road. I wish you the best of luck.

July 3rd, 2012, 12:53 am #6

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement and advice! It truly is appreciated.

I find it interesting that two of you sighted the lab or donor. We got 10 viable embies out of our donor. After every DE failure (all the same donor)I kept thinking it was a waste - i just had a feeling the rest of the batch wasn't going to be successful. i dont know if it was the lab, donor, me, or my husband - of course i always blamed myself!

Anyway, i know my husband and i have both had lots of genetic testing by both RE's, but not sure which ones at this point- i will certainly look into the test you mentioned Jamie! thank you for the heads up.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

July 3rd, 2012, 2:56 am #7

My RE would not have given a hoot about your FSH and would have found you to be a good candidate because you were 30. At 35 you still have very good odds. It does indeed sound like the donor or the lab. One other thing I would wonder about is your husband's sperm. Has he been thoroughly, thoroughly checked? He should probably have an SCSA test; here's a link if you are unfamiliar: https://www.scsadiagnostics.com/about-the-test

Have you been thoroughly checked for any immune issues that may inhibit implantation?

Wishing you the best!
There have been several women that have failed DE cycles that only succeeded when they treated their immune or clotting issues. I would look into these and get the SCSA test that Jamie mentioned. I too do not get why you were pushed to DE's. Anyway, good luck.

July 6th, 2012, 1:34 pm #8

Hi Shanni, it's been a while since I peeked at the white board but my heart felt compelled to tell you I understand. I am 35, one ovary removed in a previous surgery, remaining ovary had a blocked tube, highest fsh was 31, lowest was 23, AMH of .16, TSH of 4.4 and was told DE would be my only chance of conception. Here I sit writing this post with naturally conceived twins that are 11 wks and 6 days it is possible, do not give up. In my darkest moments, I would read these boards and feel warmed in a sisterhood bonded by the same desires. I send you positive energy and prayers that your next cycle results in great things. Take care!

July 6th, 2012, 1:44 pm #9

Hi Shanni,
My smartphone evades me sometimes and I failed to mention a pregnancy was mentioned in the post above. Best wishes to all!

July 6th, 2012, 7:00 pm #10

Hi Shanni, it's been a while since I peeked at the white board but my heart felt compelled to tell you I understand. I am 35, one ovary removed in a previous surgery, remaining ovary had a blocked tube, highest fsh was 31, lowest was 23, AMH of .16, TSH of 4.4 and was told DE would be my only chance of conception. Here I sit writing this post with naturally conceived twins that are 11 wks and 6 days it is possible, do not give up. In my darkest moments, I would read these boards and feel warmed in a sisterhood bonded by the same desires. I send you positive energy and prayers that your next cycle results in great things. Take care!
Your message literally brought me to tears... It brought me comfort in knowing i am not alone, to not give up hope, and that miracles do happen! Congratulations to you. Despite all the odds, to have conceived naturally is amazing!! I am still going ahead with IVF this July with my own eggs. Its hard to have faith in my body becoming pregnant with all the strikes against me, but you are an inspiration Thank you for reaching out.