Where W555's originated

Where W555's originated

May 27th, 2007, 6:29 pm #1

This will be for sale soon in auction....more details coming....Thanks so much to the person allowing this preview to Net54 board members.....I don't want to give anymore details at the moment....thanks again...

May 27th, 2007, 6:34 pm #2

If June 1906 is the date these were issued, we are going to have to revise the rookie card list. Wouldn't we have a new Cobb rookie, among others?

May 27th, 2007, 6:35 pm #3

This will be for sale soon in auction....more details coming....Thanks so much to the person allowing this preview to Net54 board members.....I don't want to give anymore details at the moment....thanks again...

I believe that date is relating to the Food Act it's describing on the box, not the box itself, necessarily.....

May 27th, 2007, 6:52 pm #4

True, but we don't know, and this box could possibly change our idea of when this set was issued.

May 27th, 2007, 7:00 pm #5

Well here's a dumb-a$$ question. What was the product being sold? What is a baseball snap shot? If they cite FDA, was it a candy product?

Very very cool item. Thanks Leon.

One interesting thing I take from this is that some cards have one hand cut edge, and others have two. Of course, most of the cards are hand cut on all four sides, but knowing how many sides actually had to be hand cut just to detach the card from the body of the piece is still interesting.

Joann

May 27th, 2007, 7:10 pm #6

I once had a common that was oversized and revealed some of that black and white finish above the white line. Now I understand it better.

May 27th, 2007, 7:15 pm #7

Dang. I have hated these kinds of visual problems ever since they started showing up on standardized tests on grade school.

I can't mentally fold this thing up into anything at all that makes sense. What the heck was it??

And one more question - Leon do you know if this piece is the entire original object, or is there some that is still cut off? The top edge looks unnatural compared to some of the others.

Joann

May 27th, 2007, 7:15 pm #8

Looking at this box I think it contained candy or gum, but the box was supposed to resemble a box camera which was very popular at that time. I'm guessing the kids would cut out the little photos and pretend they were photos that they took of the ballplayers.

That is one cool item Leon. Can you tell us when and where it will be auctioned?

edited to add: I just printed that out, cut it out and put it together and I think I'm exactly right. It resembles a box camera.
Last edited by slidekellyslide on May 27th, 2007, 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 27th, 2007, 7:40 pm #9

Unbelieveable.

Thanks Leon for sharing this.

Rob

May 27th, 2007, 7:56 pm #10

It is a camera. Can you see the players faces through the little hole?