What's a man to do ???

What's a man to do ???

January 2nd, 2009, 2:08 pm #1

I got back into the hobby 4 years ago when I bought a Koufax RC at Catcher's Mitt on Bee Ridge in Sarasota. When I visit Sarasota I always try to go the memorabilia stores at the Westfield mall (the one on 8201 S. Tamiami Trail) and at Catcher's Mitt.

I was a little surprised, but not shocked, to see the Cather's Mitt and one of the memorabilia stores closing down (both were actually packing up while I was there). They must have decided to sell what they could at Xmas then get out.

I went to the other card/memorabilia store (can't remember their name) still open in the mall. I noticed Clemente and Koufax RC's in their display case. Both cards had a sticker with "Book Price" of a NM card. Of course, their price was a little lower than book. My guess is each of the cards would have graded a 2 or 3. Which means they were selling at over 5 times what they could be purchased on eBay. All the other card prices were way too high.

I guess it's just a matter of time that all these type stores close down. Where am I going to go while my wife shops for clothes?? All we have left are electronic stores....

Dan
Last edited by danp306 on January 2nd, 2009, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 2nd, 2009, 2:10 pm #2

It's too bad they don't have a computer kiosk in that card store to check the prices...

January 2nd, 2009, 2:17 pm #3

I got back into the hobby 4 years ago when I bought a Koufax RC at Catcher's Mitt on Bee Ridge in Sarasota. When I visit Sarasota I always try to go the memorabilia stores at the Westfield mall (the one on 8201 S. Tamiami Trail) and at Catcher's Mitt.

I was a little surprised, but not shocked, to see the Cather's Mitt and one of the memorabilia stores closing down (both were actually packing up while I was there). They must have decided to sell what they could at Xmas then get out.

I went to the other card/memorabilia store (can't remember their name) still open in the mall. I noticed Clemente and Koufax RC's in their display case. Both cards had a sticker with "Book Price" of a NM card. Of course, their price was a little lower than book. My guess is each of the cards would have graded a 2 or 3. Which means they were selling at over 5 times what they could be purchased on eBay. All the other card prices were way too high.

I guess it's just a matter of time that all these type stores close down. Where am I going to go while my wife shops for clothes?? All we have left are electronic stores....

Dan
Radio shack used to be a fun diversion. But I find Sears, tool department is a weird escape now whenever she makes me tag along to the Mall. She thinks I'm getting house stuff but honestly I'm just there for the show -great spontaneous humor there and a darn good time killer... Since my Victorias Secret 'welcome' had been revoked.

January 2nd, 2009, 2:24 pm #4

Dan
When we visit the mall, I make certain that I bring 1) My reading glasses 2) A good book or the latest issue of Old Cardboard & 3) I find the most comfortable place to sit available.

Time actually passes very quickly, although I did miss a bare bosomed Brittney Spears in New York City once while I was reading and she apparently was changing without concern to others around her. Actually not that big of a deal to me but it makes for an interesting and true story.

RC

January 2nd, 2009, 3:03 pm #5

Dan
Matt,
Great reference from a shoe-in Net54 HOF...LOL.

January 2nd, 2009, 3:50 pm #6

Dan
Lance - glad somebody got the reference

January 2nd, 2009, 5:50 pm #7

Dan
IPOD. I bring mine to the mall, find a comfortable chair, and watch Star Trek episodes.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

January 2nd, 2009, 6:29 pm #8

Dan
This chair?