How long have you been working on your set ?

How long have you been working on your set ?

February 16th, 2009, 9:47 pm #1

I started working on my 1934 Goudey set in 1998 and just finished it, it took me 10 years and 5 months. Of course with upgrades I don't know I will ever be completely finished. I have upgraded about 50 and can't seem to part with the doubles, I guess I consider them part of the set. Overall its a vg-ex set some better some worse. There were many breaks of 9 months up to 2 years where I didn't purchase any cards, but I always came back and kept plugging away. I cracked every graded card I picked up except the Gehrigs. Even though it's only 96 cards many times I thought I would never finish it, but happy I didn't give up.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

February 16th, 2009, 10:06 pm #2

That's a great accomplishment, Johnny. Congratulations! (And nice Gehrigs.)

February 16th, 2009, 10:15 pm #3

I started working on my 1934 Goudey set in 1998 and just finished it, it took me 10 years and 5 months. Of course with upgrades I don't know I will ever be completely finished. I have upgraded about 50 and can't seem to part with the doubles, I guess I consider them part of the set. Overall its a vg-ex set some better some worse. There were many breaks of 9 months up to 2 years where I didn't purchase any cards, but I always came back and kept plugging away. I cracked every graded card I picked up except the Gehrigs. Even though it's only 96 cards many times I thought I would never finish it, but happy I didn't give up.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Congrats on completing your '34 Goudey set. I have been working on the E254 Colgan's set since 1995.

February 16th, 2009, 10:21 pm #4

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
I've been working on the N28 set for a couple hours now. I've been trying to narrow my focus to a couple sets, but I'm not very good at it. The set I've been working on the longest are the Novelty Cutlery postcards. It's been about 2.5 years since I started on that set.
Last edited by deadballpaul on February 16th, 2009, 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 16th, 2009, 10:24 pm #5

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Thanks Paul and John !! It's been quite the fun mission. After I got married in '98 I got back into cards. My favorite grandparents were married in '34 so I started picking them up, I loved the fact that Gehrigs face was on them. The high numbers are really cool, I wish instead of 'Chuck Klein says' it was 'Babe Ruth says'. I have heard that Ruth didn't want to be in the set and also heard that Gehrig didn't want him in it, not sure what happened with that, maybe Ruth thought having 4 in the 33 set was enough.
Last edited by JohnnyHarmonica on February 16th, 2009, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 16th, 2009, 10:32 pm #6

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Congratulations, Johnny.

I lack 40 of those Goudeys, and have been picking up a few at a time for about 25 years. What were they doing to us collectors of the future sticking 2 Gehrig cards in a set?? And aren't those last 24 cards a bit more difficult to chase down!!

Perseverance. You maintained that.

February 16th, 2009, 10:36 pm #7

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
This is probably going to ramble a bit...

I received my first 4 T206 cards about ten years ago as a Christmas present and decided 4 years ago to work on a set. Since then I have accumulated 118 cards including many HOFers.

I keep having this urge to sell them and work on a more attainable set, or maybe just do the T206 HOFer action poses or put together a 25 card collection like others on the board have mentioned. But then I look at the cards I have and the poses, artwork, colors, and player selection are incomparable

For what it is worth I have to work toward completion of something, so it may be 15 more years but I will complete this set (minus the big 4). Lets just say its on my bucket list.

Congrats on completing your Goudey set. What did if feel like to put the last card in place?

February 16th, 2009, 10:53 pm #8

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
I have been working on a '23-'24 Exhibit set for over 10 years. Sure wish I would have bid on one of Lipset's many sets (missing the Ruth) that I had a chance to. Mostly likely it will complete me bf I do it.
Last edited by hrbaker on February 17th, 2009, 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 16th, 2009, 11:03 pm #9

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
The 34 Goudeys are wonderful looking cards, I think I have one in my collection.

I am currently working on the T206, have been for almost 2 years now. Slow going but i will get there eventually.

It's hard to keep my focus when board members show off their fancy cards from other sets. I end up spending my T206 budget on some other cards that happened to catch my eye.. argh

marty
Last edited by martyogelvie on February 17th, 2009, 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 16th, 2009, 11:06 pm #10

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Good luck Frank, yeah the last 24 are a lot tougher to find. Two Lou's in the set is tough but they are so so nice and completely different unlike the 33's.
It feels really good to complete a set, putting the last card in was kind of shocking, not sure what to do next after such a long ride kind of feeling. I just love looking at the Gehrigs, the scans don't do them justice. I can't imagine trying to put together a 33 with 4 Ruths and the impossible Lajoie.