Happy Hannukka!!

Happy Hannukka!!

December 22nd, 2008, 4:51 am #1

I just got done lighting my Menora and celebrating the 1st evening. I know there are a few other Jews on the board, just wanted to say Happy Hannukka!

December 22nd, 2008, 4:55 am #2

That's right Josh,
Happy Hannukka, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays.... Whatever Faith you and your loved ones are from, best wishes for a safe, healthy, happy Holidays!
Tim

December 22nd, 2008, 5:11 am #3

I just got done lighting my Menora and celebrating the 1st evening. I know there are a few other Jews on the board, just wanted to say Happy Hannukka!
Josh, same to you. My boys received the first two of about 62 more presents over the next eight days. Of course, the first season of Spongebob on DVD was a present for me as well...

December 22nd, 2008, 6:09 am #4

Ah...the joy of when your little boy graduates from Blues Clues to Spongebob Squarepants. Billy and Mandy ain't bad either.

December 22nd, 2008, 7:45 am #5

And when they turn 42 you can let them watch South Park.

December 22nd, 2008, 9:09 am #6

Happy Chanukah to you, too. We celebrated the first night with the whole family together, including my 91-year-old dad. It's a special time of year.

December 22nd, 2008, 2:23 pm #7

We had a massive family party last night and my kids came back with garbage bags full of gifts.

Happy Channukah/Holidays to all!

December 22nd, 2008, 2:30 pm #8

I am a born-again Christian, but would love to hear more about how this holiday came about. I remember that the oil in the temple lamps lasted 8 days in a miraculous way. Also, the Maccabean revolt occured...would love more details and please correct me if I am wrong in the above.

Shalom

December 22nd, 2008, 2:31 pm #9

Happy Hannukka.

I wish you and your families a joyous time.

December 22nd, 2008, 2:43 pm #10

Big J - you are correct - the Holiday celebrates two miracles - the military victory of a small army of Jewish priests over the Greek and Hellenist forces who had tried to subjugate them and the miracle of the small lone remaining amount of pure oil, that usually burnt out in 1 day, keeping the Menorah in the Temple burning for 8 days until new oil was available.

Years later, the Jews were exiled and the Temple was destroyed, which should have canceled the Holiday, but it lives on as a message of hope, that even when times are tough and the odds seem not in our favor, we can still overcome.
Last edited by MSW1 on December 22nd, 2008, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.