EXCLUSIVE photo from the HOF basement in Cooperstown, where BB collectibles go to die

EXCLUSIVE photo from the HOF basement in Cooperstown, where BB collectibles go to die

July 9th, 2008, 11:46 pm #1

Not too many people get to see the stuff shown in the picture below, a tiny sampling of the thousands of cubic feet of baseball collectibles stored in the Hall of Fame basement in Cooperstown. The photo, which was snapped during a recent tour of the facility, should be enough to make members of this forum weep, certainly drool. Ahh, a Joe Cronin trophy... oooh, here we have some presentation silverware...looks like a Nolan Ryan jersey there on the bottom shelf. A couple of random thoughts:

1. What a waste!

2. The HOF reportedly possesses 35,000 three-dimensional objects (this does not include the 2-3 million pieces in the library). With virtual museum shelf space so cheap, you'd think that the Hall might "display" much of this stuff on their excellent web site. Perhaps this is under consideration.

3. What a waste!

4. That picture might make a great recruiting tool for auctioneers trying to lure collections from the families of ballplayers (or other possessors of "stuff") who are weighing between donation to the HOF or public sale. I'm sure the Munson & Whitey Ford families (see Hunt's upcoming All-Star auction) would rather have their artifacts loved in some basement on Long Island as opposed to sitting on a shelf in Upstate, NY.

5. What a waste!

July 10th, 2008, 12:01 am #2

So true, Joseph.

I bought Pepper Martin's 1934 Cardinal contract. Couldn't wait for it to arrive. I was at my office when UPS appeared, I signed, and immediately opened the box. Wow, Pepper's Gashouse Gang contract... I immediately called the seller. He immediately thought something was wrong and I didn't like it. I assured him I was ecstatic, and felt bad having it. I thought I'd send it to the National Baseball Museum. He said, "Frank, please don't do that." And he paused. Then he explained that if it went to Cooperstown, it would be in a box in the basement and seldom seen. If I had it I could show it to folks. Cooperstown was a terrible place to send it.

I decided he was right. I loaned it, with some other Cardinal stuff, to the St. Louis Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum. There it has been on display for quite some time, until recently. The Museum is packing up and relocating to a new facility adjacent to the new ball park. One thing I loaned was an Ernie Orsatti bat. Because the bat was there, it was in the photograph of 1930's stuff in Mike Eisenbath's The Cardinals Encyclopedia. He photographed some of my stuff, and there's an an acknowledgment on page 852, which I find kinda cool.

Please don't send baseball stuff to the National Baseball Museum. They have enough. Loan or give your stuff to someplace where it can be shared, instead of stored.

July 10th, 2008, 12:03 am #3

Not too many people get to see the stuff shown in the picture below, a tiny sampling of the thousands of cubic feet of baseball collectibles stored in the Hall of Fame basement in Cooperstown. The photo, which was snapped during a recent tour of the facility, should be enough to make members of this forum weep, certainly drool. Ahh, a Joe Cronin trophy... oooh, here we have some presentation silverware...looks like a Nolan Ryan jersey there on the bottom shelf. A couple of random thoughts:

1. What a waste!

2. The HOF reportedly possesses 35,000 three-dimensional objects (this does not include the 2-3 million pieces in the library). With virtual museum shelf space so cheap, you'd think that the Hall might "display" much of this stuff on their excellent web site. Perhaps this is under consideration.

3. What a waste!

4. That picture might make a great recruiting tool for auctioneers trying to lure collections from the families of ballplayers (or other possessors of "stuff") who are weighing between donation to the HOF or public sale. I'm sure the Munson & Whitey Ford families (see Hunt's upcoming All-Star auction) would rather have their artifacts loved in some basement on Long Island as opposed to sitting on a shelf in Upstate, NY.

5. What a waste!

Pitiful. This picture belongs on one of those websites that bring to the public light information that is damning, shocking, outrageous, or amazing, yet also somewhat obscure or unreported by more mainstream media sources.

July 10th, 2008, 12:18 am #4

1. What a waste!

3. What a waste!

5. What a waste!

Jeff,

Like TMZ.com?

July 10th, 2008, 12:25 am #5

1. What a waste!

3. What a waste!

5. What a waste!

Frank,

It's amazing you mentioned the Cardinals museum...I was going to say (but i didn't want to go on and on) that I'd been there years ago and it's a GREAT little museum and that the HOF could easily work in conjuction with teams to create these little spinoffs in the great baseball cities, But, alas, that is asking WAY TOO MUCH. When MLB thinks collectibles these days, they think Steiner Sports...

July 10th, 2008, 12:29 am #6

1. What a waste!

3. What a waste!

5. What a waste!

Joe, TMZ is a bit too high brow for my taste. Something just under that perhaps.

July 10th, 2008, 12:38 am #7

1. What a waste!

3. What a waste!

5. What a waste!

I don't know why, but a famous movie ending just came to my mind.

"The Horror!...The Horror!" -Marlon Brando, Apocalypse Now.

July 10th, 2008, 12:57 am #8

1. What a waste!

3. What a waste!

5. What a waste!

Kind of reminds me of the end of Indiana Jones...

Be well Brian

PS Might as well send them to an auction house....

July 10th, 2008, 1:01 am #9

1. What a waste!

3. What a waste!

5. What a waste!

Kind of reminds me of the time my grandfather fell into a huge vat of beer, he got out the first three times to to a leak, but alas the fourth trip was too much. Lock me in the basement for at least a year to look at everything.

Rawn

July 10th, 2008, 1:04 am #10

1. What a waste!

3. What a waste!

5. What a waste!

That is some neat looking stuff. It's a shame it's out of sight where almost no one ever sees it.....regards

edited typo
Last edited by leonl on July 10th, 2008, 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.