Early Photo on Ebay was Probably Ambrotype

Early Photo on Ebay was Probably Ambrotype

January 22nd, 2009, 3:03 am #1

That early image that just closed on ebay (someone if they could please link it for me- #270330630600), which was in fact a half plate image, was likely an ambrotype. I was emailing the seller today and he was polite but had no idea what he had. He also had no idea how to spell daguerreotype, thus hurting his sale too.

It was a spectacular image but in the end I think it had too many very serious condition problems. But it was exceptionally early, perhaps pre-1865.
Last edited by barrysloate on January 22nd, 2009, 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 22nd, 2009, 3:28 am #2

http://tinyurl.com/bwygee

Interesting, Barry. Thank you!

January 22nd, 2009, 3:31 am #3

That early image that just closed on ebay (someone if they could please link it for me- #270330630600), which was in fact a half plate image, was likely an ambrotype. I was emailing the seller today and he was polite but had no idea what he had. He also had no idea how to spell daguerreotype, thus hurting his sale too.

It was a spectacular image but in the end I think it had too many very serious condition problems. But it was exceptionally early, perhaps pre-1865.
I decided not to bid because it was already pretty high earlier today (and I am in the middle of trying my best to blow all my money on another collection). However, I was under the impression from looking at it that it was a tintype. It seemed to me that the black part of the tin was visible after the glass ended at the bottom. I could be wrong, but that was my assessment of the piece. It was an early image and despite the condition flaws, it was not a bad piece.

Rhys

January 22nd, 2009, 3:32 am #4

Doesn't that look more like a Cricket bat that the one player is holding? Not arguing that it is any early image.

January 22nd, 2009, 6:37 am #5

Confident it's baseball. The early to mid 1860s bats were monster-size clubs.
Last edited by dereb12 on January 22nd, 2009, 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 22nd, 2009, 7:16 am #6

Wow. What a great image. I wish I had seen it earlier.

Rob L

http://www.freewebs.com/loefflerrd/

January 22nd, 2009, 12:03 pm #7

Rhys- I had several emails with the seller during the day to try and determine whether it was an ambro or a tin. While he responded quickly he was not very helpful. I originally thought it was a tintype, but what looks like tin from the back may actually be dark glass. It's hard to tell both from the scans and from his emails.

What knocked me out in the end was the condition. Way too many problems, and if it is an ambro that glass looks like it is pretty close to cracking. But I have to say either way it was a really superb early image.

January 22nd, 2009, 12:39 pm #8

Nice image-wonder if the hirsute players were wearing Lincoln style beards in homage to Abe or if it was a style at the time even without Lincoln's having one.

January 22nd, 2009, 12:54 pm #9

Those beards were in style in the early to mid 1860's. As the decade neared an end many were shaved off, and the mutton chop sideburn became the rage.

January 22nd, 2009, 2:07 pm #10

with all the emulsion flaking off and it appears you can see a bit of glass at the top as well.