Book sale time

Book sale time

April 24th, 2010, 8:28 pm #1

I took off Wednesday, and CB and I went today to a book sale we take in every year.

I got 20 histories on Wednesday, those seem to get ravaged quickly. Only about 1-2% of the books I saw then were still there today. All together I brought home about 3 dozen books and CB at least that many.

A guy there turned me on to this book sale locator. If you like that kind of event this may be of interesthttp://www.booksalemanager.com/

Last edited by MagarakOmnipotentTrueLivingGodofOZ on April 26th, 2010, 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

john
john

April 25th, 2010, 2:18 am #2

so whatcha' got?

April 25th, 2010, 10:39 am #3

This isn't all of them, but we'll start with one's I've read, albeit long ago:

The 900 Days: The Seige of Leningrad
W. C. Fields: By Himself, bio

Newbies, but one's I've know of:
The Tigers Are Burning
Co. Aytch

Then among the others:

Got a couple by Garrison Keillor who I really enjoy reading.

From the Danube to the Yalu, an autobiography of Mark Clark. Yeah, he makes me want to wretch, but it is a first edition and it was only $1 on half price day.

Last and least, for shits and giggles, Hitler's War by David Irving. I'll pick it up for a few pages when I really need just that little extra nudge to toss out a fine old-time cussin' just for stress relief!

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

April 25th, 2010, 2:22 pm #4

`
Hitler's War is a hoot.

I bought a copy at a flea market book stand... ....geez - maybe some time back in the early '90s, before I knew who or what David Irving was. Even then, it seemed a weird take on the war years.

You might be better off with this version of the same title:

Hitler's War (Del Rey, 2009) is an alternate history novel by Harry Turtledove. It is the first volume in a series depicting an alternate World War II. The Point of Divergence has José Sanjurjo surviving a plane crash in 1936. Subsequently, during the Munich Conference in 1938, Konrad Henlein, a political leader of Sudetenland Germans is assassinated. Hitler uses this act as a pretext for war with Czechoslovakia, knowing that the Spanish Nationalists will side with him. Britain, France, and the Soviet Union declare war on Germany. Poland, despite previous ties with France, sides with Germany against the USSR. Further, Japan, which has been expanding into the Asian mainland, begins skirmishes with the USSR in Mongolia. The United States is on the sidelines, although it has troops in China, and volunteers participate in the Spanish Civil War.

http://turtledove.wikia.com/wiki/Hitler%27s_War

April 26th, 2010, 9:03 am #5

Aren't those two pretty much conjoined twins? I haven't seen Turtledove mentioned much anywhere but don't his fantasies also end in ratzi wins?

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

April 27th, 2010, 2:10 am #6

`
I've read 2 books by Harry Turtledove -

This one's a hoot.
Time-travelling South African racists from a ficticious future zip back to 1864 and supply the Confederacy with AK-47 rifles & sufficient intel about the Union army's coming campaign plans to allow the CSA to win it's independence - the intent of the time travellers being that the Confederacy will stand as a white supremist bastion in the future thus altered.
Unfortunately for them, Bobby Lee ends up abolishing slavery when he is subsequently elected president of the CSA, and the team of time travellers is killed when they attempt to assassinate Marse Robert.
LoL

An alien invasion fleet arrives to conquer Earth - in 1942 !
As the awful truth dawns on the leaders of a world already embroiled in WW2, they reluctantly begin to co-operate to combat the alien menace.
Adding to the fun is the fact that the aliens have brought a military force sufficent to dominate completely only the primitive pointed sticks & swords their initial recon of Earth 800 years prior showed humanity likely to be armed with. They expected no further advancement since the same technological advancement we made in 8 centuries took them 50,000 years, and the only other intelligent life they have encountered advanced at a similar pace.
But - orders are orders, so wade in they do !

I should point out that the blurb in the lower left corner of the cover was not on the copy I bought, and I got it primarily due to misconstruing the plot as "Everybody else in WW2 vs. the USA", and just hadda know what the rationale was.
LoL

Turtledove wrote another series which proceeded from the premise of a Southern "win" in the Civil War, but I haven't read any of those. So far as I understand, though, neither these nor his work dealing with WW2 themes could be called "pro-nazi" or "white supremist" a la neo-nazi types.

List of works can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Turtledove